NBC HD Football looked like crap

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I watched the game OTA in from OKC. The game looked OK but could have been a lot better. Some frames looked really good but other times it was soft and fuzzy like everyone else noticed.

The replays sucked and all the graphics such as lineups, stats, and all of that kind of stuff was really fuzzy.

Hopefully, this was just preseason stuff and they get all the kinks worked out before the real season starts.

Even with all the problems it still looked better than SD but to me it did not look HD!

neynme said:
I used to have D* and i switched to cable and I can tell you the PQ is much better on cable for HD programming. I did watch the game lastnight and notice some fuzziness, but not as bad and not unwatchable like when I was watch D* stuff.
OTAHD is the best a blows cable and satellite away.

The game was spectacular via OTA here. DirecTV's broadcast was a different story.

No pixelization or macroblocking on the NBC OTA feed. DirecTV's broadcast of the same feed had plenty of both. :down

Last edited:
herdfan said:
While not a fan of the FOX bar at the top of the screen, I surely don't like what NBC did with that thing at the bottom.:(

I didn't mind most of it. It was very clean. It could have been a good deal lower.

But the main thing that pissed me off about it was the size of the bug that stuck up above the bar and into the rest of the image. :mad:

I saw the game on both 5-1(WPB) and 6-1(MIA) and 82(NBC) and i saw virtually no difference. I still have MPEG2 but i would say the quality of the game was much better HD and less compression then the Nortre Dame games on NBC last year. I hated THE NET scoreboard on the bottom, it looked cool in the begining of the game but then i realized it was a waste of screen space.

igator99 said:
OTAHD is the best a blows cable and satellite away.
Can't agree more. Hands down OTA HD is the best way to watch locals at their highest resolution. It seems old school but worth the small hassle in set up.
Satellite provided locals are a waste of bandwidth.

vurbano said:
The Broadcast was crap OTA and by satellite. Local OTA has 1 HD and 1 SD sub channel, typical for most NBC affiliates I suppose. http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=707813&highlight=hall+of+fame

Hey Vurbano, did you actually watch the game, or are you going on what the linked thread over at AVS states. I don't really understand why the link is there, was it to back up your statement. Anyway as I said earlier, I thought the OTA was pretty damn good looking and ours does have at least one sub-channel, weather I think. Hey even if it was NBC's fault if there were issues who is there to complain too. It is the source after all, but then again if V's toast is burnt in the morning he could spin it to be D*s fault:D

vurbano said:
The Broadcast was crap OTA and by satellite. Local OTA has 1 HD and 1 SD sub channel, typical for most NBC affiliates I suppose. http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=707813&highlight=hall+of+fame

Hey Vurbano, did you actually watch the game, or are you going on what the linked thread over at AVS states. I don't really understand why the link is there, was it to back up your statement. Anyway as I said earlier, I thought the OTA was pretty damn good looking and ours does have at least one sub-channel, weather I think. Hey even if it was NBC's fault if there were issues who is there to complain too. It is the source after all, but then again if V's toast is burnt in the morning he could spin it to be D*s fault:D

FlyingJ said:
Hey Vurbano, did you actually watch the game, or are you going on what the linked thread over at AVS states... ...but then again if V's toast is burnt in the morning he could spin it to be D*s fault:D
ROTFLMAO :hatsoff:

FlyingJ said:
I watched the game OTA FLingy. The encoders seemed to have serious problems catching up with the action as documented in the AVS thread. The end of every play looked fk'd up. The graphics as well, also observed by CPanther as documented by the link. What's wrong? Dont know how to handle statements backed up with facts and observations by people all over the country watching the game rather than your typical fanboy Bullsh!t?

Plywodstatebum said:
NBC was having problems switching from camera to camera I kept seeing them try and focus when switching.
Shhhhhh... Your gonna upset FlyingJ and Satmeister with the truth.

Oh, sorry Vurbeanie, you see the real problem is that I was watching a football game with my favorite team the Philadelphia Eagles. You and your technogeek boyfriends meanwhile were watching to see HD OOOOh AAAAAh. It was a football game, and I rather enjoyed it and didn't obsess on the PQ so I could justify the money I spent on equipment. Funny part is...I have never, ever professed to have anywhere the technical knowledge that you and many others in this forum do, but I guarantee you that my family enjoys our TV watching more!

Last edited:
Just wanted to note, that yes I saw what you saw, especially the whatever it's called that happened when the graphics would be brought up and then taken away, my point is, that is not what I was looking for and if it was the "fault" of NBC, so what, it's not like anyone else got it better than you did. When we all are subject to the same quality or mishaps I don't feel like I was ripped off. Or are you going to tell us that on E* Dish somehow eliminated the problems. Also I just wanted to bump this up so everyone could see how witty I was in the previous post.

FlyingJ said:
Oh, sorry Vurbeanie, you see the real problem is that I was watching a football game with my favorite team the Philadelphia Eagles. You and your technogeek boyfriends meanwhile were watching to see HD OOOOh AAAAAh. It was a football game, and I rather enjoyed it and didn't obsess on the PQ so I could justify the money I spent on equipment. Funny part is...I have never, ever professed to have anywhere the technical knowledge that you and many others in this forum do, but I guarantee you that my family enjoys our TV watching more!
I wouldnt call that debacle of an effort a football game

PS Is it possible for you to formulate a post without an insult?

Last edited:
FlyingJ said:
Just wanted to note, that yes I saw what you saw, especially the whatever it's called that happened when the graphics would be brought up and then taken away, my point is, that is not what I was looking for and if it was the "fault" of NBC, so what, it's not like anyone else got it better than you did. When we all are subject to the same quality or mishaps I don't feel like I was ripped off. Or are you going to tell us that on E* Dish somehow eliminated the problems. Also I just wanted to bump this up so everyone could see how witty I was in the previous post.
Since I didnt watch it on E* I cannot comment. If you actually read posts you would see that I stated that I watched it OTA. heres yet another thread, this time here at sat guys complaining about the crappy PQ

delanewf said:
Did anyone else notice the picture get blurry suddenly during the Hall of Fame game Sunday? I was watching it on my local NBC affilliate OTA in HD and the picture would be fine then go blurry for a few moments then go back to being fine. It did it throughout the broadcast .
delanewf said:
Was this a problem with NBC's feed or was it only my local station's problem? Let me know if anyone else experienced this and any ideas on what caused it. I might have to watch Sunday night football in SD because this was very distracting. Unless of course, it was also happening on the SD side as well.

http://www.satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?t=73275

Last edited:
vurbano said:
I watched the game OTA FLingy. The encoders seemed to have serious problems catching up with the action as documented in the AVS thread. The end of every play looked fk'd up. The graphics as well, also observed by CPanther as documented by the link. What's wrong? Dont know how to handle statements backed up with facts and observations by people all over the country watching the game rather than your typical fanboy Bullsh!t?

Seems to me this pot is calling the kettle...........

:mad: I also watched OTA in NC thru my E* 622 dvr on 17.1 and thought that the PQ sucked. It was the worst HD crap I'd ever seen OTA except NBC's coverage of the Brickyard earlier in the day. What I don't understand is that Leno's show at 11:30 looks great OTA ! Sounds kinda fishy to me :confused:

BB468

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts