NBC HD in CT

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Dollar2

Original poster
Sep 2, 2004
Durham, CT
I tried watching the Colts/Saints game last night on WVIT HD through D* in Connecticut. It was awful. Any movement or graphics on the screen caused the picture to break up and gray out. It looked like it was a weak or bad signal. The SD feed was fine (I mean, as fine as SD can be). I can't pull WVIT in OTA. All the other HD channels and local HD channels were fine. Did anyone else have a problem? Could you tell if it was D*, WVIT or NBC? I was never impressed with the NBC broadcast last year but it was never as bad as last night. I checked my signal strengths and I had one transponder on 103 in the high 40s, but, again, I haven't had a problem with WVIT-HD. Any thoughts? Thanks.

Bill

I watched it OTA. NBC is by far the worst of the NFL broadcasts and it looks like that hasnt changed this year. The OTA version looked OK but then I dont expect too much from the NBC broadcast.

My NBC OTA feed was perfect for what NBC offers. Minimal blocking/drops, mostly due to wind blowing trees between me and tower farm. Guessing it was a WVIT issue or D* problem. I think NBC actually did okay with things on their end last night.

I watched it OTA. NBC is by far the worst of the NFL broadcasts and it looks like that hasnt changed this year. The OTA version looked OK but then I dont expect too much from the NBC broadcast.

Agreed. Maybe my troubles were amplified by the transmission to and from D* of an already bad signal/broadcast. I hope someone who watched the feed from D* responds. The Pats play SD in week 2 and I will be most unhappy if the problem persists.

I didn't watch on DirecTV but I did watch some of it via OTA and noticed some of these issues as well. So not sure if it was a NBC problem, a WVIT issue or a DirecTV issue.

I think most of the blame is on the weather channel on WVIT and other NBC stations. Its taking away bandwidth from the main HD program. Not sure how Directv is grabbing each market, but they could be grabbing the same thing we see OTA and if that is compressed, then Directv will be passing what ever they get. I like the Weather channel but I dont like anything that impacts the main HD program. I think NBC needs to seriously look into this and address what should be a priority.

I tried watching the HD signal from directv and you couldn't even see the plays>Had to watch the SD channel. By the 2nd half they had it fixed and it was back to so/so HD but it was watchable.

I watched it last night on D*'s HD locals here in Tulsa and it's was fine. If your having signal drops it was either the station or your dish needs alignment.

I didn't watch the second half but WVIT-HD was back to normal (read:passable) this morning. We'll see Sunday night. Thanks to all.

Bill

I tried watching the Colts/Saints game last night on WVIT HD through D* in Connecticut. It was awful. Any movement or graphics on the screen caused the picture to break up and gray out. It looked like it was a weak or bad signal. The SD feed was fine (I mean, as fine as SD can be). I can't pull WVIT in OTA. All the other HD channels and local HD channels were fine. Did anyone else have a problem? Could you tell if it was D*, WVIT or NBC? I was never impressed with the NBC broadcast last year but it was never as bad as last night. I checked my signal strengths and I had one transponder on 103 in the high 40s, but, again, I haven't had a problem with WVIT-HD. Any thoughts? Thanks.

Bill

I watched the game yesterday aired by NBC channel 3 from Las Vegas via DTV and my H20

It looked great 99.9 % of the time. One or two blips that could have been weather related. 5.1 sound was GREAT except I had to turn down speakers that had crowd noise

I use a H20 and Panasonic 42" plasma TH-42PX60U. H20 set at native and all resolutions checked Native in use with pillar box. I use a low end RCA RT2760 tuner fed directly from H20 with optical cable. HDMI cable from H20 to TV

I didn't watch the second half but WVIT-HD was back to normal (read:passable) this morning. We'll see Sunday night. Thanks to all.

Bill

Had the same problem. Went to ch 82 (NY feed) and it was fine. Looks like a WVIT issue (or their feed to D*).

Had the same problem. Went to ch 82 (NY feed) and it was fine. Looks like a WVIT issue (or their feed to D*).

I live in Ct and just got hooked up my receiver yesterday. I can't get ch 82 says channel not purchased. I thought if we lived in a network owned area we could get the new york channel also. Do I have to call them or did the rules change?
Also NBC sports are usually suffering from blocking, even ota. Seems 720 is better for sports.

I live in Ct and just got hooked up my receiver yesterday. I can't get ch 82 says channel not purchased. I thought if we lived in a network owned area we could get the new york channel also. Do I have to call them or did the rules change?
Also NBC sports are usually suffering from blocking, even ota. Seems 720 is better for sports.

You might need to call or email them. I've had the NY HD feed since I upgraded to HD a couple of years ago. If i remember correctly, I had to call to get it activated.
I believe you are right though about the owned and operated area. What part of CT are you in? That could have something to do with it.

I watched the Colts @ Saints game on WVIT-DT via Comcast cable, and as always, it looks like absolute garbage, just like every other sporting event on NBC in HD.

I hear that the quality of HD on NBC is so poor because of them using too much of the available bandwidth for their Weather Plus subchannel. They need to take a hint from other 1080i broadcasters with sub-channals and figure out how to do it right, or they need to move to 720p format.

Ok, before I call and look like an idiot channel 82 is nbchd right. I get WNBC in SD on channel 4. I don't need another one of those. Thanks.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts