Please reply by conversation.

JFOK

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 12, 2012
Cape Cod - MA.
Hi All,

Quick question.
Do all the NBC network feeds require rotating your LNB 90 degrees to view, or is it just the feeds on
AMC-18 ?

Thanks,

John

Someone with deeper knowledge will give you facts, not opinions, but I believe 105W and the NBC feeds are unique to that satellite. And it's -28 skew which means it requires more skew than normal for the channels.

I use my 922 4dtv receiver to change satellites and also rotate the LNB. If I can't get a picture on my FTA receiver, then I use the 922 4dtv remote to change the station on my 922 unit to either an odd channel or an even channel. This only specifically works on channels 1-24. I don't know what your set-up is but mine has the Openbox running through the 922 unit.

AMC-1, 103W is the one with the odd skew.

AMC-1, 103W is the one with the odd skew.

ke4est,

Are you sure it AMC-1 ?
I found that rotating my LNB is the only way I can get the NBC timezone feeds on AMC-18.
Unfortunately, this keeps me from getting the NASA feeds on this satellite too.

John

Yeah it is the NBC feeds on the Ku side of amc-1. I have no problem here with the NBC on amc-18 C-Band. I get everything fine on amc-18 with out changing skew....got to run for now, maybe someone will come in with a suggestion.

AMC 1 at 103 degrees does have about a -26 degree skew. I've setup a dedicated LNB on my railmount setup for my motorized dish (which has 4 other LNB's on it).

Perhaps AMC 18 also has an oddball skew... I'm not sure.

>> require rotating your LNB 90 degrees to view, -- on AMC-18 << makes me think your polarity is programmed backwards.
103W Ku requires 26° CW skew from normal. (not all aiming 'assistants' take this into account)

So, in plain English, only NBC on AMC-1 Ku is the odd-ball skew TP. C-band has no such consideration. Is this correct?

So, in plain English, only NBC on AMC-1 Ku is the odd-ball skew TP. C-band has no such consideration. Is this correct?

It's my understanding that all Ku signals (not just the NBC stuff) from 103W requires the oddball skew, C-band from that sat DOES NOT require a non-standard skew.

It's my understanding that all Ku signals (not just the NBC stuff) from 103W requires the oddball skew, C-band from that sat DOES NOT require a non-standard skew.

I was thinking it was only the NBC TP with the odd skew, as the other TPs come in OK on that satellite. Most every other TP on the arc come it OK too with 0 skew.

Thanks to all those who replied to my question.
I'll check my skew settings and report back.

John

I was thinking it was only the NBC TP with the odd skew, as the other TPs come in OK on that satellite. Most every other TP on the arc come it OK too with 0 skew.

It's not everything KU on 103w, it's only the NBC feeds that have the extra skew.

Guess I misunderstood this deal, had always heard that you needed to optimize Ku reception from 103W by changing the skew, didn't realize it was just for the NBC stuff.

Well, I learned something and hopefully this will help JFOK with his issue. :)

The skew on 103Ku, all transponders, is off 26°. Some transponders, though receivable at "0" skew, do get stronger if the skew is adjusted CW that 26°. This is really apparent on a small dish.
On my 30 inch Channel Masters, 11940 V is receivable with the feed skew 'normal' but nothing else. Some NBC feeds come in when skewed CW 26° 11940 gains about 10 Q points when skewed CW 26°. But still no S2 TP's so set I up a fixed 1.2. [S9 receiver]

Hi All,

Just an update to my original question.
I checked this morning and it turns out that I didn't have my LNB rotated 90 degrees to get the NBC feeds on AMC-18.
I get them just fine with normal settings. It was AMC-1, I was trying to work the "NBC magic" with.
It had been a few weeks since I had originally attempted to get these feeds and I just got forgetful.
So many satellites....so little brain.:D
Thanks again for all your responses.

John

Before I make an attempt at this, your saying that the Ku LNB needs to be at zero? Or, 4 degrees counter clockwise? Is this a similar setup, like 83w, with the Luken channels, set at zero?

This will calculate the correct skew required for a fixed dish: http://www.satelliteguys.us/thelist/calc.html
If you have a motorized dish, to get all the other satellites set the skew to "0" You may get some on 103 Ku. To get the most possible, the LNBF has to be skewed approximately 26° clockwise, when facing the dish, from "0".

I want to set up a dedicated dish for this, so I don't have to mess with the C Band dish. So looking straight at the dish, looking at the LNB. If it's pointing either straight down, at 6 o'clock, I need to move the LNB 4 degrees to the right, to get what I need. Correct?

yes if it is 4 deg for you, then yes it will be 4 deg to the right facing the dish.

Status
Please reply by conversation.