NBC Question...help!

henderson_tony

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jun 28, 2004
Hey voom folks,

can someone explain this. My local Voom OTA station is showing the same exact feed as the NBC HD on the newly added voom channel. What confuses me is that my other friends with regular cable/regular NBC are getting the normal local NBC feed. Not olympics 24/7, local news and all that good stuff. So why is my "local" NBC channel showing NBCHD 24/7? Was this mentioned in the olympic flyer sent out? If so, i must've missed it.

thanks,

TONY

Man there are like tons of threads on this on the front pages of the Voom Forum, the programming forum, and Yahoogroups...I don't want to sound 'flamey' but come on at least TRY and skim the other threads before repeating this. Check 593 and 594 and see if your getting the NBC live feed there. VOom doesn't tune in analog signals into their transmission man, that's why for the O&O markets they are doing us the favor of sending NBC SD broadcasts. If you don't get them, call Voom and tell them your in an O&O market (nicely) and you want the SD programming.

Dvlos,

I am in an O&O (Washington DC) market and receive 321 in addition to the same Olympic coverage being broadcast on NBC digital local 4-1. This isn't a problem since I have lifeline cable for the SD coverage.

VOOM channels 593 and 594 tell me to call for the upgrade (aka they are not available), which is on par with the VOOM e-mail and VOOM letter I received. Although I am in an O&O area (DC 55 miles away), the VOOM link http://voom.decisionmark.com/ says I can receive SD programming from two sister DMAs: Richmond VA (51 miles) and Charlottesville VA (52 miles).

ISN'T THIS A HOOT:
- I am in the DC DMA at 55 miles out and have had my own UHF antenna for 2 years.
- The VOOM UHF antenna points toward Richmond.
- Charlottesville is not a viable nor reliable option.
- All the NBC locals (analog) are VHF and I have 2 UHF antennas.
- VOOM is telling me that I can receive NBC analog from 3 DMAs..yet, VOOM relies on Antennaweb, which tells me that I can't receive even a single local digital (from even my own DMA).
- Baltimore digital NBC is not reachable during the daylight hours (90 miles).
- Richmond digital NBC is not reachable...their DTV antenna is 500ft lower than ABC and CBS (which I receive just fine).
- Opening night I was able to watch the NBC HD feed from 5 locations (DC, Baltimore, Richmond, Charlottesville, and VOOM 321) due to favorable tropospheric conditions.
- If I didn't have cable, there would be no way for me to receive LIVE SD COVERAGE OF THE OLYMPICS!

Anyway, since I am in an O&O I took your advice, called VOOM, and nicely asked to receive NBC SD Olympic programming...my request was denied because their records show it is possible for me to receive analog programming from two nearby DMAs using a VHF antenna I do not possess! So either the VOOM e-mail, VOOM letter, VOOM CSR or the information you supplied are incorrect.

Either way, it's not a big deal...just wanted to let you know that each person (depending on their zipcode) is unique in their ability to receive HD and SD feeds from VOOM. Just because you live in an O&O that does not guarantee you will be elligible for the SD feeds on 593 & 594.

Eligible for High Definition Olympic Service
Not Eligible for Standard Definition Olympic Service

Call sign Is NBC OO?
WRC Yes
WVIR No
WWBT No

According to that site I can receive a West Palm Beach non-O&O station while Voom acknowledges that it is not possible to receive this station (50 miles away). Their CSRs all tell me that I am supposed to have an SD feed because, the website says I cannot (didn't get an e-mail).

I cannot receive any West Palm channels I could if I pointed a serious 90 mile antenna to the north, if that's the reason why my 593 isn't currently working and not bumbling CSRs that's a real stupid NBC rule.

hey guys

Dvslos - sorry, you are a flamer. This isn't just aimed at you, but i hate it when people waste time and board space ridiculing people, i mean, come on man, i'm sure you have better things to do.

For the record, i do read the boards, but my confusion lies in how/why my nbc OTA is now NBC HD. Isn't the OTA feed the same all the other cable companies get? (neighbors with regular cable are getting regular NBC)

if anyone can or is willing to answer this, that'd be great. Hell....if its a matter of sending a link of something previously posted, that'd be great too.

TONY

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)