NC @ Duke is blacked out on ESPN right now!?!?!?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
I live just outside Raleigh -- in the heart of WRAL viewing area but I was able to watch the game on ESPNHD.

Once I realized it was on WRAL also (in wonderful grainy glory) I was pretty surprised that it wasn't blacked out.

Oh well.... :shh I'm not going to call and complain about it.

I watched it on WRAL-HD last night in HD glory... Granted it was OTA but it was in HD... AT least I believe it was - memory seems to go with age....

Here is Raycom's official statement on the matter. This reflects the 2006 tournament ACC blackout. The fact that they have not updated any info in regard to the 2007 tourney does not fill me with much hope that anything will be different this year.
http://www.raycomsports.com/blackout.htm

The first 5 minutes were available in Greenville, SC (ACC member Clemson's back yard) on ESPN HD and then they decided to black it out. I wish I could have watched the dookies crying in HD. The cameron crazies tears and looks of disbelief are so much better in high def.

Let's hope raycom gets HD syndication figured out in time for the 2007 tourney. I will be holding my breath.

GO HEELS!!!!

BTW - my first post

Hey Snake,

Welcome aboard! You may have lurked for awhile but welcome nonetheless!

RayCom's problem is that they not only provide programming, they OWN stations as well. HD content is harder to provide when you really don't want your competition to benefit from you.

btw: Did you ever escape from NY?

Thanks 8bit
I have been lurking for well over a year now (since i escaped from NY)

This site has been incredibly informative. I guess it took ACC hoops talk to get me to join and post.

I watched it on WRAL-HD last night in HD glory... Granted it was OTA but it was in HD... AT least I believe it was - memory seems to go with age....
WRAL-HD 5-1 carried the game via the Raycom feed. While you may have a very nice TV capable of making SD signals look nice, I assure WRAL did not broadcast the game in HD last night. They can only broadcast the signals they get, which from Raycom is a SD signal. And no offense intended, but if you can't see the difference between SD and HD, then your memory isn't the only thing going with age :)

Raycom/Lincoln Financial HD is coming

I have been lurking around here for a while, but have not been posting.

Raycom/Lincoln Financial is capable of HD. The Charlotte Fox Station (which is a Behakel station and has a sister station in Columbia, SC - WOLO- that shows Raycom games) ran a test on January 17th where they showed a rebroadcast of the first official game that Raycom/LF has done in HD (on January 16th). It was Miami vs Boston College. The Fox engineer had posted on another site that they would be running the test. I DVR'd it, and it looked really good.

I recently emailed the engineer at WBTV in Charlotte (which is owned by Lincoln Financial) about them showing games in HD and this is the response that I got, so I am hopeful for the ACC tourney:

Good morning. WBTV will be making every attempt to be able to broadcast the ACC tournament in High Definition. We have on order a new HD IRD to receive the LF/Raycom transmission and have set our goal on having it installed and commissioned in time for the event. Please keep an eye on our website WBTV.com for further details or feel free to contact me at any time.

Thanks for taking the time to contact us.

Regards,

RY

Ron Yoslov
Chief Engineer
WBTV, Inc.
Ron.Yoslov@lfg.com

I was able to watch the first 20min on ESPNHD. I should have checked the last 10 which was the best part of the game. I'll know next time. :)
@ BC will be on ESPN and the duke at home is on CBS, so only 2 more regular season in HD.

Go Heels !!!

Raycom/Lincoln Financial is capable of HD. The Charlotte Fox Station (which is a Behakel station and has a sister station in Columbia, SC - WOLO- that shows Raycom games) ran a test on January 17th where they showed a rebroadcast of the first official game that Raycom/LF has done in HD (on January 16th). It was Miami vs Boston College. The Fox engineer had posted on another site that they would be running the test. I DVR'd it, and it looked really good.

Well if WRAL which serves 3 of the ACC schools doesn't carry the Raycom HD feed, I tend to believe it doesn't exist. Hopefully whatever test Raycom has done or doing will mean a HD feed will be provided to WRAL sooner rather than later.
I tend to believe HD production cost are the reason for feet dragging. Raycom knows no true fan will NOT watch just because it is NOT in HD. So they won't make any more money if they do it in HD. :(

Not trying to get into an argument with you, but trying to offer up encouragement...
I am not saying Raycom hasn't done any testing. I am saying they did not have a live HD feed for UNC @ Duke (anywhere, not just WRAL), which means they are not broadcasting in HD yet.
I also would expect if they ever do broadcast in HD they will pat themselves on the back the whole broadcast with "In HD where available". I was drinkin' a little bit but don't remember seeing any self congrats on the HD.

Good News From Raycom

Director of Media Relations
(704) 378-4400
FAX (704) 378-4465

For Immediate Release, Friday February 9, 2007

Raycom Sports and Lincoln Financial Sports Will Produce 2007 ACC Tournament in High Definition
Tournament Will Be Available to Syndication Affiliates in HD

Charlotte, N.C.Raycom Sports and Lincoln Financial Sports will produce the syndicated broadcasts of the 2007 ACC Basketball Tournament in high definition, it was announced today. The syndicated telecasts will be available to the R/LF network of local affiliates. R/LF has conducted extensive testing with a live syndicated HD signal.
“Raycom Sports and Lincoln Financial Sports are very excited to offer syndicated telecasts of ACC basketball in high definition for the first time,” stated Ken Haines, President and CEO of Raycom Sports. “Most local affiliates have not been able to rebroadcast syndicated HD programming. What has changed dramatically over the past year is the introduction of syndicated programming, such as Wheel of Fortune and Jeopardy.”
“We have done exhaustive research on production and syndication of high definition regional telecasts,” said Ed Hull, President of Lincoln Financial Sports. “More local stations are now able to receive and, most importantly, rebroadcast HD-syndicated programming.”
Raycom Sports and Lincoln Financial Sports, in a unique partnership, have been the rightsholders of ACC men’s basketball since 1982. In addition, the partnership now includes syndicated football telecasts.

- ### -

Raycom Sports and Lincoln Financial Sports Will Produce 2007 ACC Tournament in High Definition

This makes me happy. :)
Yet I can't help but think since they are waiting until the tourney, that they are going to nickle and dime HD as long as they have the contract. We will be lucky to see ONE HD game a week next year. At least UNC should get the lion's share.

This makes me happy. :)
Yet I can't help but think since they are waiting until the tourney, that they are going to nickle and dime HD as long as they have the contract. We will be lucky to see ONE HD game a week next year. At least UNC should get the lion's share.

After hearing them talk about this on the radio this morning, I think we will be lucky to see 1 or 2 regular season games a month in HD. :mad:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts