NCAA Football 2008-09 Season

The ACC will be fine soon enough. They finally got the championship out of Jacksonville, although Tampa may not be a big improvement. Once the game moves to Charlotte in a couple of years it will be a hot ticket. The conference itself is interesting, if for no other reason than Florida St isn't dominating anymore. God, I hated those days! Everyone, minus Duke, has a shot. You can't say that about most other conferences. The Big Ten is just Ohio St and Michigan, everyone else is playing for scraps. The Big 12 usually boils down to Oklahoma or Texas and the Pac 10 is USC crushing everyone in their path. The SEC is good and relatively balanced, but that doesn't help the likes of Kentucky, South Carolina or Vanderbilt who have NO shot at winning their division, and Ole Miss and Miss St have no chance in the west either.

Since when did UNC start playing football?

SEC bottom feeders are usually considered to be Vandy,Kentucky or either of the Mississippi teams. All would flourish in the Big East.

All have more talent than either Rutgers or Pittsburgh to just name a couple.

And NO Rutgers or Pitt would not be anything more than a middle of the pack team(at best) in the ACC more than likely would be closer to the bottom than middle tier.

Kentucky isn't a bottom feeder.

Ha ha. Rutgers or Pitt would destroy any of the teams you mentioned, and do just fine in the "mighty" SEC.

Of course, we'll never know, because the SEC pretty much only plays the Sun Belt OOC. :)

Whatever. :rolleyes:

S. Florida will be around for a few years and then drop back to where it was before, once they have a few players graduate and the incoming ones don't want to go there because they have options to play at bigger schools, they will drop back down.

It happens to alot of teams, they jump up, make some noise and then they are gone.
Jump up and then back? Back to where, non-existance?? South Florida hasn't been around that long. They started in 1997.

Jump up and then back? Back to where, non-existance?? South Florida hasn't been around that long. They started in 1997.

Gotta give credit to Lee Roy Selmon for bringing that program from nothing to Div-1A in seven years.
Don't get me wrong, if S. Florida stays up in the conversation in the top 20 in 2-3 years, I will be happy for them, but I don't see it happening.

Where is Utah now that Urban is gone.
How about Hawaii now that Jones is gone, this is yet to be seen, but it's one I suspect to be out of the conversation. Arkansas is in the same boat as Hawaii, too soon to tell.

Jimbo

Don't get me wrong, if S. Florida stays up in the conversation in the top 20 in 2-3 years, I will be happy for them, but I don't see it happening.

Where is Utah now that Urban is gone.
How about Hawaii now that Jones is gone, this is yet to be seen, but it's one I suspect to be out of the conversation. Arkansas is in the same boat as Hawaii, too soon to tell.

Jimbo

Utah post-Meyer

7-5
8-5
9-4

3-0 in bowls (they've won seven straight). There's a good chance you will find them in the top 25 of some of the preseason publications (Phil Steele has them at #14). Urban started something there that others will be able to build on.

There is something to be said for striking while the iron is hot and USF has been able to do that while Miami and FSU have been down.

CFB is cyclical and everyone has a down period.

Last edited:
The SEC has the biggest cupcake schedule in the country.

LSU, Florida- try playing a real OOC instead of the Sun Belt!

IMO, SEC should stand for

Scheduling
Easy
Cupcakes

The SEC has the biggest cupcake schedule in the country.

LSU, Florida- try playing a real OOC instead of the Sun Belt!

IMO, SEC should stand for

Scheduling
Easy
Cupcakes

Who's your favorite team again?

I agree somewhat that some(not all of the SEC)schools take an easier route OOC.

A lot of schools in the BCS Conferences do. It's all about the finances.

Were it up to me ,SEC and all other BCS Conferences(minus the Big Least) would have 9 Conference Games, 1 Cupcake and the other 2 Games would be played against schools from other BCS Conferences.

Fact remains though that scheduling Sun Belt schools for OOC games is as much a challenge as playing most schools from the Big Least.

Florida's playing Hawaii, Miami, The Citadel and Florida St OOC this year.
LSU's playing Appalachian St, Troy, N. Texas and Tulane OOC this year.

LSU appears to be going the cupcake route this year, but didn't last year when they played and destroyed Virginia Tech. Florida is definitely not going the cupcake route this year. Say what you will about Miami and Florida St these days but those are HUGE games. Hawaii was last year's darling, who is about to get another painful lesson in how tough major conference football is.

There aren't any cupcakes in the SEC championship game. Can't say that about the Big East or the Big-11. And tell Michigan that Appalachian St. is a cupcake. :)

Whatever. :rolleyes:

With I-AA's taken out of my count, it's 10/38, which isn't as bad as I thought...

Alabama (2/4):
Clemson, Tulane, WKU, Ark St

Arkansas (1/3):
Western Illinois, ULM,Texas,Tulsa

Auburn (1/3):
ULM, Southern Miss, WVU, Tenn-Martin

Florida (0/3):
Hawaii, Miami, Citadel, FSU

Georgia (0/3):
Georgia Southern, CMU, ASU, G Tech

Kentucky (2/3):
Ville, Norfolk St, Midd Tenn St, Western KY

LSU: (2/3)
App St, Troy, N Texas, Tulane

Ole Miss (1/3):
Memphis,Wake,Samford,ULM

Miss St (1/3):
L Tech, SE Louisiana, G Tech, Mid Tenn St

South Carolina (0/3):
NC St, Wofford, UAB, Clemson

Tennessee (0/3):
UCLA, UAB, N Ill, Wyoming

Vandy (0/4):
Miami-Ohio, Rice, Duke, Wake

Big East, for reference:

Cincy:
EKU, Oklahoma,Miami-Oh,Akron,Marshall,Hawaii (6! due to Hawaii rule when you go to Hawaii)

UConn:
Hofstra,Temple,UVA,Baylor,UNC

KY,Tenn Tech,Kansas St,Memphis, Middle Tenn St

Pitt:
Bowling Green,Buffalo,Iowa,Navy, Notre Dame

Rutgers:
Fresno,UNC,Navy, Army

Cuse:
Northwestern,Akron,Penn St,Northeastern, Notre Dame

USF:
Tenn-Martin,UCF,Kansas,Fl Int,NC St

WVU:
Nova,E Carolina,Colorado,Marshall,Auburn

In all honesty guys, with the way the current setup is in place, why would any top notch school want to play tough out-of-conference games? CFB got rid of "schedule toughness" as a ranking factor a few years ago.

The big conference teams currently have very little incentive to play tough OCC games. It's all about winning your division and going undefeated in hopes of a National Championship Bid.

Mc Nabb's Yard Vandalized

Alonzo Mourning retires

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)