NCAA Football 2009-10 Season

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
They went up because of their two great wins so far. Beating an FSU team that CREAMED BYU That beat Oklahoma.

And btw OSUs win over Toledo.. They are not slouch but yet they get killed by purdue of all places..... Ya impressive. That would be like me hyping Florida because they beat Vanderbilt.

Is FSU in the top 20 ? They are no body yet, but you seem to be making them out to be someone great and they are not.

Well yes. In order for USC to drop theyd have to lose. So if they lose twice then of course if OSU has only one loss OSU can then get ahead of USC. But until USC loses again, how can you justify putting OSU over them? There "strength of Schedule" are almost the same (execpt USCs is much harder playing more ranked teams)

OSUs season is not over. Its just no longer completely in hte hands of OSU. Nor is USCs season in their own hands anymore. Other people now have to fail for OSU or USC to move up.

And other teams ARE falling and will continue to fall.
I simply expected OSU to mover up because they were 11 and two teams in the top 10 lost, seems to make sense, don't ya think ?

Why would FLA drop? They won the game, they were never in danger of loseing. They controlled the game. Tenn's defense kepts Flas offense from being explosive but they still out scored, out ran, out threw Tenn.

Its like OSU vs Mich. Tenn is a big rivalry game for FLA and teams tend to play harder and work more to win those games. Tenn played their ass off, FLA not so much. Tenn certainly wanted it more and prepared more, FLA seemed to look at it as an automatic win, sure they got the win but were not showboating in typical FLA fashion. But a win is a win and it was a complete win, but a win by a single score.

And the Bucks were never in danger of losing thier game either, this one goes both ways , you can have your example work for you, but it won't work the other way around ?

That ranking is a bit better. a few changes though. Miami should be ahead of all the one loss teams. and GA is to high.

I also think Penn over Ole Miss is an either or. Neither team has had to really prove themselves yet and that spot will get decided soon enough.

I think Penn State is there due to the end of last year standings and winning out at this point ..... just like everyone else up there.

Good question. ;)

Here's an interesting computer poll by the way:

Colley's Bias Free College Football Rankings

"The Colley ranking method is based on very simple statistical principles, and uses only Div. I-A wins and losses as input—margin of victory does not matter. The scheme adjusts effectively for strength of schedule, in a way that is free of bias toward conference, tradition, or region. Comparison of rankings produced by this method to those produced by the press polls shows that despite its simplicity, the scheme produces common sense results."

Makes about as much sense as anything else. :)

Except that its non-sense, from a statistical point of view. After 3 games, with as little interaction as there has been between teams and conferences, these rankings, while cute and interesting, are essentially what I would call an exercise in mental masturbation. At this time, there is no way in hell that anyone computing a strength of schedule that has any meaning to it, from a stat point of view. By the end of the season, it may be interesting to see what his collection looks like and how well it predicts the BCS bowl games.

Disclaimer: Its been almost 40 years since I did my graduate work in stats and quantitative methods, however, the basic laws of sampling and statistics have not changed during that time.

I simply expected OSU to mover up because they were 11 and two teams in the top 10 lost, seems to make sense, don't ya think ?
Not really, because the initial polls were all guesswork. Therefore there is a lot of movement early on.

Georgia dropped both the 1st 2 weeks last year, even though they won their games. Did you complain then?

Until about week 4 or 5, it's all guesswork with a lot of volatility. Right now, Ohio St. can't justify being ahead of the major undefeated teams (like Miami) or being ahead of USC. What's happened the last poll is corrections based on some teams being undefeated after the 1st 3 weeks.

If Ohio St. is truly better than those teams that leaped ahead of it, then those teams will lost later and Ohio St. will go ahead of them.
To complain about standing this early in the year does no good. Continuing to win games and Ohio St. will eventually rise. Lose more games, and you have no standing to complain.

I backed Ohio St. for being #1 a few years ago when they were the only major team with a single loss, even though I also said LSU was a better team (as proven in the BCS Game), but I still said they should have been ranked higher going to that game due to record (I even argued for LSU over my own Bulldogs due to LSU being the SEC champion instead of the Dawgs).

For the same reason I will argue the higher ranking of every undefeated team listed above them, along with 1 loss USC who beat them.

As for the other 1 loss teams that are ahead of them, they all have the same argument as Ohio St., so it's pretty much a wash and sour grapes on whoever is listed lower.

Personally I think the AP & Coaches Polls should take a cue from the Harris (BCS) Poll and not start until late in the season. Then we wouldn't have to listen to the whining and woes from Ohio St people this year, Georgia people last year, and other fans before that about their teams ups & downs in the wee early season polls.

2 teams did lose. but why does a 1 loss OSU jump ahead of the 2 teams that lost who are also one loss? Certainly they do not go up ahead of a 1 loss USC. So the reason OSU went down was because 1. They do not move ahead of the 2 teams that lost. and 2. because a new team has hit the top 10 Miami, who is undefeated. Had miami lost OSU would not of moved.

And the Bucks were never in danger of losing thier game either, this one goes both ways , you can have your example work for you, but it won't work the other way around ?

The bucks were one 2point conversion away from losing to NAVY.. The bucks lost to USC.

The Gators beat Tenn handily. If not for a fumble by teabow its a 20+ point game. Take nothing away from Tenn though they played great defense.

Miami will win this game, Bradford will still be gone and Ok is no where near as good without him.

Your right I mean they barely got by Tulsa and Idaho. Sure not top teams but they won those 2 games 109 to 0. And I think Jones from some school records for most TD passes etc. hes no slouch it seems.

But yes Losing your Heisman QB sucks but I think unlike FLA OK is a bit more deep in the QB slot.

Not really, because the initial polls were all guesswork. Therefore there is a lot of movement early on.

Georgia dropped both the 1st 2 weeks last year, even though they won their games. Did you complain then?

Until about week 4 or 5, it's all guesswork with a lot of volatility. Right now, Ohio St. can't justify being ahead of the major undefeated teams (like Miami) or being ahead of USC. What's happened the last poll is corrections based on some teams being undefeated after the 1st 3 weeks.

If Ohio St. is truly better than those teams that leaped ahead of it, then those teams will lost later and Ohio St. will go ahead of them.
To complain about standing this early in the year does no good. Continuing to win games and Ohio St. will eventually rise. Lose more games, and you have no standing to complain.

I backed Ohio St. for being #1 a few years ago when they were the only major team with a single loss, even though I also said LSU was a better team (as proven in the BCS Game), but I still said they should have been ranked higher going to that game due to record (I even argued for LSU over my own Bulldogs due to LSU being the SEC champion instead of the Dawgs).

For the same reason I will argue the higher ranking of every undefeated team listed above them, along with 1 loss USC who beat them.

As for the other 1 loss teams that are ahead of them, they all have the same argument as Ohio St., so it's pretty much a wash and sour grapes on whoever is listed lower.

Personally I think the AP & Coaches Polls should take a cue from the Harris (BCS) Poll and not start until late in the season. Then we wouldn't have to listen to the whining and woes from Ohio St people this year, Georgia people last year, and other fans before that about their teams ups & downs in the wee early season polls.

Totally forgot about that with GA.

and yes there are 4 one loss teams right there in the top 10/12 OSU, OK, USC and VT. Each can make a claim for the higher spot. However I think the way the rankings are is as correct as it can get..

Lets look at it. OK Lost to BYU BARELY, without their starting QB most the game. They then went on to kill the next 2 teams shutting them out without their starting QB. VTech lost to an undefeated and still #3 team in the nation Alabama. And beat #19 Nebraska.. USC beat OSU but lost to washington. Which is why USC is below VTech and OK (because USC lost to an unranked team while the others lost to ranked teams) and OSU Lost to USC which is why OSU is below USC which is below the other 2. I mean it only makes sense how anyone can think otherwise is beyond me.

I think the only two who could switch are OK and VTech and thats just based on Vtechs win over NEbraska being better then the wins OK had.

I also agree though the polls should not start until at least halfway through the season. This way teams like FLA will not play 2 highschool teams to start the season and instead will play major teams to try to get their rank up when the time comes.

Your right I mean they barely got by Tulsa and Idaho. Sure not top teams but they won those 2 games 109 to 0. And I think Jones from some school records for most TD passes etc. hes no slouch it seems.

But yes Losing your Heisman QB sucks but I think unlike FLA OK is a bit more deep in the QB slot.
OU's ranking in the top 10 right now is probably premature. Miami on the road will be a more realistic test for OU. The last two games for OU were at home against less than top notch talent. At least they have a bye week to get ready, and VT might soften up Miami just a bit.

Oh I agree, and yes Miami will be a big test with Texas to follow that. Was not trying to compare Miami with the teams OK played. Just trying to show the backup QB is not to shabby.

I don't think QB will be Okla's problem. The young offensive line on the road and the receivers will be.

You don't like John Brantley?

You don't like John Brantley?

Hes no Tim Teabow. And this FLA offense is based on Teabow. Its based on the "option" With Brantley in while he is not a horrible QB the option is not really a threat. Thus eliminateing FLAs main offensive weapon.

With OK Bradford was a great passer and Jones taking over for him is also a great passer. So no huge change for OKS offense to coup with.

FLA has no "great" receivers. Sure FLAs current receivers could start on just about any team in the NCAA they are no Harvin or Murphy. Thompson drops the ball to much, and cooper cant seem to get many yards after the catch as he is not explosive. So FLA can not rely on its recievers to win. They have to have the option with Teabow and the great running backs they have. Also help from Hernandez.

So yes take nothing away from Brantley he is good and this will be HIS team next year, they will have to change the offense to suite him, but with the current offensive stance from FLA without Teabow they are toast. Unless of course they can change really quick when brantley steps in.

Id like to see Brantley play more. Perhaps do like Myer did with Teabow and Leak.

Hes no Tim Teabow. And this FLA offense is based on Teabow. Its based on the "option" With Brantley in while he is not a horrible QB the option is not really a threat. Thus eliminateing FLAs main offensive weapon.

With OK Bradford was a great passer and Jones taking over for him is also a great passer. So no huge change for OKS offense to coup with.

FLA has no "great" receivers. Sure FLAs current receivers could start on just about any team in the NCAA they are no Harvin or Murphy. Thompson drops the ball to much, and cooper cant seem to get many yards after the catch as he is not explosive. So FLA can not rely on its recievers to win. They have to have the option with Teabow and the great running backs they have. Also help from Hernandez.

So yes take nothing away from Brantley he is good and this will be HIS team next year, they will have to change the offense to suite him, but with the current offensive stance from FLA without Teabow they are toast. Unless of course they can change really quick when brantley steps in.

Id like to see Brantley play more. Perhaps do like Myer did with Teabow and Leak.
:confused: Do you realize you're not spelling your own QB's name correctly??

amd_tebow-hug.jpg

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts