NCAA may expand March Madness

SandraC

On Vacation
Original poster
Apr 10, 2008
NJ
They are looking at a number of different proposals, one of which expands the tournament to 96 teams. What do you think?

I don't like it. You can make the argument most teams already compete in the tournament, almost every team has a chance to redeem a poor regular season and get into the Big Dance by winning their conference tournament.

Isn't that enough? How much can they water it down?

Sandra

As it is, they need to reduce it by 1 and get rid of the play-in.
64 teams is enough.

This is probably nothing more than an attempt to get rid of the NIT.

They either need to expand it or split up the 380 or so teams like they do in Football, into seperate divisions.

64 is elegant, one of the great numbers. It's perfect. If they went to 96, then there would have to be a bye round (not fair). If they went to 128, they'd have to fit in a 3rd week. That's just too much. Keep it at 64.

They either need to expand it or split up the 380 or so teams like they do in Football, into seperate divisions.

I am not sure I understand this. There are separate divisions in men's basketball now and 347 is not the total number of Dision I teams or the grand total of all men's college basketball teams

Ther are separate divisions in basketball as well Ramy.
True. But football also has two separate subdivisions for Div I as well as DII and DIII. Of course, I-AA (as it used to be called) has less scholarships than I-A for football, so I'm not sure how they would justify the split for basketball.

Maybe it is just em but I still don't get it. I think that men's basketball is set yp acceptably now. Ramy seems to be advocating letting everyone in the playoffs but maybe I just don't understand his point.

BTW I would just as soon go back to 32 teams in the playoffs but I suspect I am alone in that thinking.

Put me down for no on expanding the tournament. Making the NCAA Tournament is something that should be earned. There are no teams left out that truly deserve to be in as it is. The last few teams on the bubble usually have a dozen losses on the season and losing records in their conference. That or they won a ton of games against cupcakes.

Chris Mullin isn't walking through that door.

Ron Artest isn't walking through that door.

But they are 8-1. Tourney bound? I think so.

Chris Mullin isn't walking through that door.

Ron Artest isn't walking through that door.

But they are 8-1. Tourney bound? I think so.

Not if they go under .500 in Big East play...which is quite possible, especially if Anthony Mason Jr. doesn't return sometime soon.

Sandra

Not that I want basketball to change to the football model, but there is a reason Florida-Alabama drew a 12 rating a week and a half ago, while regular season Duke-UNC games barely get over 2.

That game mattered. Loser was out.

Sandra

Don't screw around with what is, IMO, the best 2 weeks on the sports calendar.......................keep it at 64!!!!!

Don't screw around with what is, IMO, the best 2 weeks on the sports calendar.......................keep it at 64!!!!!

Totally agree. But the real issue for basketball is that too many people don't pay attention until the brackets come out...

Sandra

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)