NCAA may expand March Madness

Totally agree. But the real issue for basketball is that too many people don't pay attention until the brackets come out...

Sandra
That won't change until Oprah goes off the air. People who don't follow college basketball until March aren't really sports fans, but they are probably members of the Oprah book club. :D

Maybe it is just em but I still don't get it. I think that men's basketball is set yp acceptably now. Ramy seems to be advocating letting everyone in the playoffs but maybe I just don't understand his point.

BTW I would just as soon go back to 32 teams in the playoffs but I suspect I am alone in that thinking.

Split it up like Football for college into I-A and I-AA so that there would be separate titles for each just like Football.

That won't change until Oprah goes off the air. People who don't follow college basketball until March aren't really sports fans, but they are probably members of the Oprah book club. :D

You're referring more to the Super Bowl than March Madness, where people who don't even know the rules pay attention to the game. I'm talking about avid sports fans who pay slight attention to college basketball until the brackets come out.

Case in point is John Wall. Here in these parts we know he is spectacular. There are many COLLEGE BASKETBALL fans who do not know any more about him than what they've read in a headline on the Yahoo sports page. But in March he will be the talk of the nation, and everyone will know who he is. For a month.

Whatever big college football game that is on the schedule in September will be must-see television. Except for mullet-headed cigarette makers, none of this year's two or three Duke-NC games will be must see.

Sandra

You're referring more to the Super Bowl than March Madness, where people who don't even know the rules pay attention to the game. I'm talking about avid sports fans who pay slight attention to college basketball until the brackets come out.

Case in point is John Wall. Here in these parts we know he is spectacular. There are many COLLEGE BASKETBALL fans who do not know any more about him than what they've read in a headline on the Yahoo sports page. But in March he will be the talk of the nation, and everyone will know who he is. For a month.

Whatever big college football game that is on the schedule in September will be must-see television. Except for mullet-headed cigarette makers, none of this year's two or three Duke-NC games will be must see.

I know who John Wall is. :D

I only watch CBB from March on (and I do not belong to Oprah's book club). Those three weeks are such a special time that watching the 96000 games on ESPN from Nov-March would just dilute my appetite for the event. I think 64 is the perfect number. Get rid of that Opening round game. Nothing saddens me more that seeing a bunch of players celebrating a berth in the tourney only to find out the have to play in that stupid game that was created because the big conferences feared losing an automatic bid when the Mountain West came into being. The team that loses that game goes home, not getting to enjoy a real NCAA tournament experience at a site with seven other teams.

More is not better, but NCAA Mens Basketball Committee didn't follow that logic when it decided that all Final Fours had to be in domes and it probably won't follow it on this issue. More teams means more games which means adding more money to the cost of tickets which fattens the coffers and makes everybody happy.

lets let everyone in the tourney and give out a sh*tload of "participant" awards too :rolleyes:

Actually, they do let almost everyone in, because of the league tournaments. If they expand, it will be for one reason, MONEY! I know, big shock!

Dumbest idea since NOT having a football playoff. Why do they want to mess with one of the greatest tournaments in the world? /expanding this will only lessen the regular season, rendering that almost pointless.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts