NCAA says that Tressell is NOT "forthright"...

Add'l details (from Columbus Dispatch):

Running back Jordan Hall, cornerback Travis Howard and backup safety Corey Brown have been suspended, each for receiving impermissible benefits of $300 or less at a charity event this year. Ohio State said the three will not play in the season opener on Saturday against Akron. When they might return has not been determined.

Sources told The Dispatch that the three received gift bags for attending the charity event, but their attendance hadn’t been cleared through Ohio State’s compliance office. The incident came to light during the spring as the NCAA investigated quarterback Terrelle Pryor.

A GIFT BAG????? For cryin' out loud, that's all???????

Thanks for the details. I wondered what "impermissible benefits" could have been.

The article made it seem much worse than that, and actually only barely mentioned it.....75% of the article was just rehashing the Pryor scandal.

A GIFT BAG????? For cryin' out loud, that's all???????

Thanks for the details. I wondered what "impermissible benefits" could have been.

The article made it seem much worse than that, and actually only barely mentioned it.....75% of the article was just rehashing the Pryor scandal.

Depends what's in the gift bag I suppose LOL.

Sandra

Add'l details (from Columbus Dispatch):

Running back Jordan Hall, cornerback Travis Howard and backup safety Corey Brown have been suspended, each for receiving impermissible benefits of $300 or less at a charity event this year. Ohio State said the three will not play in the season opener on Saturday against Akron. When they might return has not been determined.

Sources told The Dispatch that the three received gift bags for attending the charity event, but their attendance hadn’t been cleared through Ohio State’s compliance office. The incident came to light during the spring as the NCAA investigated quarterback Terrelle Pryor.
While I agree that this incident was minor, after the much publicized incidents for the school, why did they accept the gift bags, and why didn't they check first before attending??

While I agree that this incident was minor, after the much publicized incidents for the school, why did they accept the gift bags, and why didn't they check first before attending??

Article doesn't say when the event was, so maybe before the hubbub. The article sucks for details, just tabloid-ish.

If they knew, they were just being stupid.

Depends what's in the gift bag I suppose LOL.
They apparently know what was in them, since they appear to have 'levels' (the higher the value, the more serious the punishment). Whatever it was, it has, at least in OSU's opinion, less than $300 of value.

.....75% of the article was just rehashing the Pryor scandal.
Hence why I went to the Dispatch's website. I realize they're by no means neutral in this situation, but at least they gave more details vs rehashing the Pryor stuff like you said.

Article doesn't say when the event was, so maybe before the hubbub. The article sucks for details, just tabloid-ish.

If they knew, they were just being stupid.

'This year' is all that's mentioned, still after the "Tat-5" suspensions from last December. Kinda shows that an inadequate rules compliance policy was put in place. Will it affect the penalties the NCAA will hand down??

Did everyone else (non-players) who attended the event get gift bags? If so, then I don't see anything wrong.

But if only players got them, then I can see it being a violation.

Yeah, really...at what point does the school start to finally dot all their 'i's' and cross all their 't's'? Jeesh.

Sandra

Did everyone else (non-players) who attended the event get gift bags? If so, then I don't see anything wrong.

But if only players got them, then I can see it being a violation.

It's a violation for the players because they're not allowed to receive gifts under NCAA rules. It might be a violation for the non-players, but not obviously because of NCAA rules.

When I worked for a previous employer we were not allowed to receive gifts from prospective vendors. Various penalties all the way up to termination were there and we were warned ad nauseum about it. Looks like OSU players still weren't warned at the time this had occurred...

This report now says the players received cash, not gift bags.....

Records released by Ohio State University say three football players suspended for the opening game against Akron violated NCAA rules by taking $200 at a Cleveland charity event earlier this year.

All three - starting tailback Jordan Hall and cornerback Travis Howard and backup safety Corey Brown - have been cleared to play in the 15th-ranked Buckeyes' game against Toledo on Saturday.

The records released Thursday night indicate the athletes gave varying accounts for why they received the money and who they received it from.

Two of the athletes said they believed the money was for working at the event while a third said he believed he was receiving money from a teammate. They were invited to attend the charity event by a former Buckeyes player.

Ohio State: 3 players took money at charity dinner - NCAA Football - SI.com

This report now says the players received cash, not gift bags.....

It was a bag of cash. Those three players are now being torn up on the local sports radio show. How stupid do you have to be to accept money while your school is in the middle of its largest NCAA investigations.

FYI, the three players are suspended for a second straight week.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts