need a new receiver advice/answers

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I installed my own swm too Jimbo, and it works like it's supposed to. Except for dfergie's post, every Genie install I have read about required a tech visit if the swm wasn't confirmed.

OK,I have SWM already(set up prior by a D* tech),my question was,based on setting up a Genie alone,if I could do that myself & then call in to activate it,OR does a tech have to do it for me? That was my question,it seems like based on what everybody is saying here,I'd need a tech to set up my Genie for me(if i ever get one) or at least confirm that I set it up right before the tech gets it activated.

madmadworld, If you plan on pretty much paying the whole lease fee then I'd go for the HR44. On sites like solid signal, I'm not seeing much of a price difference. http://www.solidsignal.com/pview.asp?p=hr44

On activating a Genie and putting in a SWM yourself I did this as well without any questions or issues from the Directv CSR's.

madmadworld, If you plan on pretty much paying the whole lease fee then I'd go for the HR44. On sites like solid signal, I'm not seeing much of a price difference. http://www.solidsignal.com/pview.asp?p=hr44

On activating a Genie and putting in a SWM yourself I did this as well without any questions or issues from the Directv CSR's.

want to own my units and dtv does not have any hr44 for sale today. just talked to a guy for a hour. could get one but would have to pay $200 plus a 2 yr contract. i don't do contacts anymore. so sol now lol
got a guy working on finding me a hr34 i can buy.

I'm pretty sure you know this but just a reminder to check that RID# with directv to confirm it's an owned unit before you make the purchase.

I'm pretty sure you know this but just a reminder to check that RID# with directv to confirm it's an owned unit before you make the purchase.
thanks always good to point that out to readers.

another question
how does effect your ability to negotiate deals and discounts if you are under contract ?
been a long time since i was under.
thanks

thanks always good to point that out to readers.

another question
how does effect your ability to negotiate deals and discounts if you are under contract ?
been a long time since i was under.
thanks
In my 5 years with Directv they were always great to me when it came to deals for programming or equipment while under contract. In fact I don't remember ever being out of a contract with them. Only DVR I paid full lease price was the HR24. They gave me the HR34 at no cost. Only thing they never gave in was exchanging the 34 for a 44 which I can understand. I don't expect to always get what I want but I will say Directv was very good to me with their customer service all 5 years. Can't hurt to try and get some kind of deal.

In my 5 years with Directv they were always great to me when it came to deals for programming or equipment while under contract. In fact I don't remember ever being out of a contract with them. Only DVR I paid full lease price was the HR24. They gave me the HR34 at no cost. Only thing they never gave in was exchanging the 34 for a 44 which I can understand. I don't expect to always get what I want but I will say Directv was very good to me with their customer service all 5 years. Can't hurt to try and get some kind of deal.
being out of contract i do get whatever i want ...... well almost.........i still get a bill but very discounted plus free nba and or nhl, NFL ST+ it's a lot if you 12 month x $$ = sweet
don't want to lose that
ps. with dtv 17+ years

Last edited:
being out of contract i do get whatever i want ...... well almost.........i still get a bill :D but very discounted plus free nba and or nhl, NFL ST+ it's a lot if you 12 month x $$ = sweet
don't want to lose that
ps. with dtv 17+ years
so no long time subscriber expertise in receiving discounts and freebies in and out of contract ?
if i remember right have been out for about 5+ years now.
thanks for reading

want to own my units and dtv does not have any hr44 for sale today. just talked to a guy for a hour. could get one but would have to pay $200 plus a 2 yr contract. i don't do contacts anymore. so sol now lol
got a guy working on finding me a hr34 i can buy.

Good luck in your efforts to find an OWNED HR34/44.
There really shouldn't be any out there as only employees have the Owned ones of new stuff and they have to wait till they are already distributed to get them.

being out of contract i do get whatever i want ...... well almost.........i still get a bill but very discounted plus free nba and or nhl, NFL ST+ it's a lot if you 12 month x $$ = sweet
don't want to lose that
ps. with dtv 17+ years

That makes it even more impressive all the discounts and freebies Directv gave me during my time with them, all 5 years under contract. If you're concerned about getting more of these things under contract I think you'll be ok.

Status
Please reply by conversation.