Need Advice-New Construction Home Directv Wiring

Status
Please reply by conversation.

fcspag

Original poster
May 9, 2007
My new home is framed. How should I have it wired for Directv. Two RG6 cables to each room that might someday have a TV? Phone lines no longer required? Coax to home computer?
Any advice appreciated.

With the new SWM setups you likely only need 1 RG6 run, but having 2 can't hurt especially for high speed cable needs. I would also prewire for CAT6a to all rooms since you have no sheet rock up yet. Maybe even speaker wire. Think "well ahead". No need for phone lines, but if you want callerID functionality you will need it.

run as much as you can with no sheetrock up. Its much easier now to run 3 coax lines and some phone line/cat6 then a year down the road trying to add a cable through the wall

Have all cables come to a "home run" spot in the house and possibly label them too ;)

I would run atleast 2 rg6 to each room, for future furniture moving or tv relocation. Run 2 to the home computer just incase one day you use cable modem and Directv BB deca. Also would run phone line to each rg6 also. Would be nice to utilize caller id on each receiver. See if you can run 100% copper conductor rg6.

This is how I normally do it for my pre-wire jobs:
- for the "main" TV locations, at least 3, if not 4 coax runs; at least 1 CAT5/6; 1 phone run (or another CAT5/6 run)
The 4 coax runs are/can be used for: sat feed, antenna/cable feed, modulator backfeed, plus a spare coax

- for secondary TV locs, at least 2 coax runs; 1 CAT5/6-phone runs
This would be in locs where you would NOT have an actual satellite set-top box (think kitchens, bathrooms, etc.)

- in an office, same runs as main TV locs, but run at least 2 CAT5/6 runs + a phone run

AGAIN, as already mentioned - MUCH cheaper to do now than later; takes the SAME amount of labor to pull 6 wires per loc, as it does 2. And wiring is NOT that expensive, so do it all NOW!

I have to agree with Chapter1 and Iceberg, When you think you have enough wire run put in 2 more runs.

Also make sure you have many electrical outlets in each room. If I ever move from this house and have a new one built it will have at least 2 outlets on each wall. I am tired of having to use extension cords.

My setup I have 4 RG6 + cat 6 + phone and in some rooms + Speaker terminals. that all lead back to a closet . The man closet as girlfriend calls it . I went with 4 because I have too much stuff.

At one point I had

a Dish Network sub for TV japan
Normal DTV Service ( thank god for swim )
OTA
and
FTA setup

Now that I dont have a dish sub anymore I only use 3 of the 4 but if you push me hard enough I would find use for the 4th.

It hard to give alot of advice not knowing where the wiring is going to come down too. will you have a closet where all this leads too or a panel box as if your going with a panel box you dont want all the other it will make for too tight of a fit.

I agree with the others:
*Multiple coax and cat5e/cat6 to all rooms
*Add more runs beyond what you need now for future growth
*All runs to come back to a central location

I would also add:
*Run one coax to the attic for an OTA antenna in case you ever want one
*Add several cox runs to the outside of your house (Presumably to where you plan to mount the dish and/or where the local cable co. hit the house) and put a weatherproof plate on it. That way the installer will not need to drill holes in your beautiful new home.
*Run one or two cat5e/cat6 to your phone company NID. They can be handy.

charper1 said:
When I did mine back in the day I ran a wiring channel so even if I did have to add more later it was a breeze.

Good thinking ahead of time !

Sent from my Samsung Epic using SatelliteGuys

Rather than multiple cables to the same room, consider looping through to multiple wall plates. There will be some insertion loss when using barrels, but you probably don't need 20+ cables coming into the home run bulkhead.

Chances are probably slim that you'll actually need two connections simultaneously on opposite sides of the room.

Going forward, CAT6 is probably going to cover everything outside of OTA/FM radio (I'm hopeful that CAT6 cabling will be legalized for installation by regular guys).

There's absolutely no reason to suffer MoCA if you've already got GigE in place.

There's absolutely no reason to suffer MoCA if you've already got GigE in place.

..Except MoCA/DECA is twice as fast as the 10/100 adapters built into the receivers..

Looping cable always causes problems and is a pain in the ass when it comes to troubleshooting. What if someone puts a nail through it before the first plate? Or a connector didn't get a good bite on the cable braid? With cable as cheap as it is, there's no reason NOT to homerun everything.

Last edited:
Just put a box on every wall and drop down a 2 foot section of smurf conduit into the crawl. Then u can run whatever u need to in the future.

As far as the spots where u know u will have something, I recommend two RG6 and two cat-6

..Except MoCA/DECA is twice as fast as the 10/100 adapters built into the receivers.
Doesn't really matter if most of the DECA connected receivers aren't H(R)24 models, does it?

There's no reason to settle for 10/100 when GigE is as inexpensive as it is.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts