Need Advice on connecting 722 to wireless network

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

ChiefT

Original poster
Jan 17, 2009
Louisville KY
My daughter has a 722 she wants to connect to her wireless network. She has a Linksys WRT54G router. She has asked for a piece of hardware for Christmas to allow her to do this. I'm thinking a Linksys WET54G is what she needs. Is this correct or is there something else/better that would work? She does use security on the network but it looks like you can configure this to connect to a secure network. Any advice or places to buy (best price) would be appreciated.

Last edited:
The 722 has built in "home plug" capablity. Just pick up a home plug adapter or "bridge". You plug one adapter into a wall outlet near your router and run an ethernet cable to it. As long as both the 722 and the adapter are plugged directly into the outlet you're done. I'm using a Netgear XE102, got it from Amazon.com . Unless you need to plug something else in for internet that's not wireless you only need ONE adapter. The 722 has the other one built in.
Hope this helps.

Ed

BTW, I HAD the same Linksys router and it worked fine. I say HAD because I needed some tech help with the router and got p.o. at Lynksys...................Have a Netgear router now.

Last edited:
I wasn't familiar with the WET54G so I looked it up. JEEZUZ don't spend that much $$$ for that!:rolleyes::rant: Get the Netgear XE102, WAY less $$$ and works great with the WRT54G router.

Ed

Last edited:
you can use a wireless adaptor (with an ethernet port):
Newegg.com - Computer Hardware,Wireless Networking,Wireless Adapters,Ethernet Port=

or a wireless bridge:
Newegg.com - Wireless Bridge, Wireless Ethernet Bridge, 802.11b, Wireless Networking Bridge, Wireless-G Access Point, Wireless Access Point

The powerline option:
Amazon.com: NETGEAR XE102 Wall-Plugged Ethernet Bridge:?@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31TDNRJSW4L.@@AMEPARAM@@31TDNRJSW4L
is more reliable if the wireless router and dvr are on the same power leg.

Of course the most reliable and cheapest option is to run a cat 5 cable between the 2:
Cat 5e Network Cable

just my 2 cents. I went the cat5 route in my house.

good luck,
Scott

The 722 has built in "home plug" capablity. Just pick up a home plug adapter or "bridge". You plug one adapter into a wall outlet near your router and run an ethernet cable to it. As long as both the 722 and the adapter are plugged directly into the outlet you're done. I'm using a Netgear XE102, got it from Amazon.com . Unless you need to plug something else in for internet that's not wireless you only need ONE adapter. The 722 has the other one built in.
Hope this helps.

Ed

The 722 is in the basement and the router is upstairs. So I just plug the XE102 into an outlet near the router, connect it with a CAT 5 and I'm done? Don't have to do anything to the 722? No cables need to be connected to it?

[ /QUOTE]
The 722 is in the basement and the router is upstairs. So I just plug the XE102 into an outlet near the router, connect it with a CAT 5 and I'm done? Don't have to do anything to the 722? No cables need to be connected to it?[/QUOTE]

Correct. Just be sure not to use any filtered power strips in front of the XE102 or the 722 as they play hell with the signal. I don't believe they have to be on the same leg of power either. The four that I and my friends have run all over their houses with good signal levels.

Also, you will have to go into the set-up screen of the 722 and configure it to see the router. Just menu, 6, 8,1, reset connection and when it comes back showing the ip address and connection status of online it should be good. You can go menu, 6, 7, and your receiver will show up on-line and status. Menu, 6, 3, connection should show broadband connection OK. If the receiver isn't connected to a phone line hit the call out button and let the receiver talk to Dish.

I have powerline adapter set up and it works well for one of my 722's. The other one will not connect. However if I plug a second powerline adapter into the socket that the non-connecting 722 is on, that powerline adapter will connect to my network. The one that connects flawlessly is in the next room over from my router. The one that will not connect is across the house.

Mitch

Hope this helps.

Ed

The 722 is in the basement and the router is upstairs. So I just plug the XE102 into an outlet near the router, connect it with a CAT 5 and I'm done? Don't have to do anything to the 722? No cables need to be connected to it?

I see Red Salmon already answered you. That is correct. Works fine with my 722 and 622 but I did have to plug my 622 directly into the wall outlet--wouldn't work plugged into a surge protector. Guess they're not supposed to but the 722 is plugged into a Belkin surge protector and it still works fine. It's just a few feet from the router and plugged into the wall just above the XE102 though. The adapter MUST be plugged directly into the outlet. NO power strip or surge protector, etc.
You don't have to do anything to your 722 but have it plugged into the wall.

Ed

Is there a distance issue? I have a powerline to my shed, that nearly circles the house then runs all the way back to my shed / shop. at the time i installed the power line I already had a ditch and opening in wall near breaker panel and leftover 10 gauge wire. easy install cable legth over a 100 feet maybe 120 feet

used to have tv back there thinking of setting my shop back there again

would the line length cause troubles? i could put a dish on my shed very easy.

i am rewiring and upgrading my entire system:)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts