Need AJAK 180 H-H mount pics - how do I adjust declination?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

sgs

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 27, 2012
Southwestern Ontario
Hi everyone,

Recently I purchased an AJAK 180 H-H mount. I'm wondering if I'm missing some parts, because I can't figure out how to adjust the declination.

On regular mounts using a linear actuator, there is a bolt that adjusts the declination by adjusting the angle of the lower (or upper) part of the ring that attaches to the dish. However this one seems to simply have a few different possible bolt positions to directly attach the ring to the mount.

I would appreciate any pics and/or good descriptions from anyone familiar with this mount. I've included pics here of what I have.

Also I have included a pic of the position of the metal bar that attaches via two bolts. There are two bars, one for each side. If I attach a linear actuator to the pole and to the bars, I can adjust the elevation with a linear actuator. That would be fun to do someday, especially if I ever get around to trying a moon bounce. But in the mean time I'd like to set the elevation and be able to adjust the declination easily. Any thoughts?

sgs
IMG_20141012_000845.jpg IMG_20141012_000859.jpg IMG_20141012_000906.jpg IMG_20141012_001141.jpg IMG_20141012_000938.jpg IMG_20141012_001121.jpg IMG_20141012_001307.jpg IMG_20141012_001039.jpg

Look at your second photo. See the 5 holes on each side? Those are used to rough adjust the declination. There's a manual for it uploaded here, and that'll explain everything.

Here, I found it: http://www.satelliteguys.us/xen/posts/3486637/

The holes you pointed out is what I figured was used for the declination, but I thought that wouldn't be good enough, I thought I was missing something. According to the manual I'm not. ;)

I looked at a different manual for the AJAK, which was different than the one you pointed me to and it showed a different mount and declination adjustment. So I was probably looking at the wrong manual. Thanks Primestar31 for pointing me to the right one!

One more thing I'll ask, because I'm not 100% clear - if you look at the 4th picture there are two holes that could be used to attach the lower part of the ring. Which should I use? The tab on the bottom of the ring is longer than the upper part (which as you pointed out is to adjust declination)... I thought it was strange that the lower tab is longer, and it makes me wonder which of the two holes it should be attached to, to act as a pivot.

sgs

Thanks Magic Static, I'm going to take some time later to read through your threads again. One thing I know is that I want to increase the reed count / improve it for fine tuning... should make for a fun little project this winter.

I hooked up a vbox to the AJAK. If I held the button to move it, it would move about 10-15 counts and then stop, and then start again for another 10-15 counts, stop, etc. So I think that I'm hitting some sort of limit on the vbox, maybe I need more power/juice to operate this beast. It's well lubricated and doesn't bind (I can move it fully East-West / West-East, just with the vbox stopping every second or two). So, I'm considering a Titanium ASC-1 to drive it. :biggrin

I'd appreciate any feedback on what everyones experiences are driving an AJAK with a vbox/gbox.

Also, any caveats using an ASC-1? I remember reading something about problems with a AJAK + ASC1 combination. More threads to dig through :imconfused

sgs

I'm not sure what is up with the 10-15 count interval using the buttons on the VBox, but if you use the remote there is no issue like that. I have used both the GBox and VBoxs on the AJAK with no problem. I found the GBox with it's virtual double count to be no more accurate than a VBox though. I am not using an AJAK with an ASC1 so I can't say what your experience will be.

We had mixed results with the ASC1 on Magic Static's AJAK motors with reed switches. Ponny reports 100% operation with his and his customers, but Magic had unreliable testing reports. We tested with Magic with moments of hope with perfect results then later errors with not a single change of hardware or firmware...

I find it strange that some of the some of the custom sensors don't work on the G/Vboxes either. We have been able to repeatedly confirm that AJAKs motors are very noisy which presents very unique issues. Personally, I would convert the AJAK to an optical sensor and use the optical adapter kit. :D

I think the best simple fix that Magic has shared for any controller used with the AJAK is rotating the motor's terminal strip 180 degrees. This moves the sensor terminals away from their original placement adjacent the motor and attenuates the motor noise.

A few weeks ago Magic was able to finally able to install an original sensor instead of the customs. Hopefully, Magic will be able to share testing results that can Help other AJAK owners. Not many remain, but certainly a great price of hardware!

Reactions: sgs
Hi everyone,

Recently I purchased an AJAK 180 H-H mount. I'm wondering if I'm missing some parts, because I can't figure out how to adjust the declination.

On regular mounts using a linear actuator, there is a bolt that adjusts the declination by adjusting the angle of the lower (or upper) part of the ring that attaches to the dish. However this one seems to simply have a few different possible bolt positions to directly attach the ring to the mount.

I would appreciate any pics and/or good descriptions from anyone familiar with this mount. I've included pics here of what I have.

Also I have included a pic of the position of the metal bar that attaches via two bolts. There are two bars, one for each side. If I attach a linear actuator to the pole and to the bars, I can adjust the elevation with a linear actuator. That would be fun to do someday, especially if I ever get around to trying a moon bounce. But in the mean time I'd like to set the elevation and be able to adjust the declination easily. Any thoughts?

sgs

Here's a link to what I did to get around the H180 declination adjustment:
http://rickcaylor.websitetoolbox.co...ak-h180-6266304?pid=1277370118#post1277370118

Reactions: sgs and Titanium
One more thing I'll ask, because I'm not 100% clear - if you look at the 4th picture there are two holes that could be used to attach the lower part of the ring. Which should I use? The tab on the bottom of the ring is longer than the upper part (which as you pointed out is to adjust declination)... I thought it was strange that the lower tab is longer, and it makes me wonder which of the two holes it should be attached to, to act as a pivot.
The outer hole is the lower mount location, the inner hole is a water drain.

Reactions: sgs and primestar31
Hi everyone,

sgs
View attachment 101985 View attachment 101986 View attachment 101987 View attachment 101988 View attachment 101989 View attachment 101990 View attachment 101991 View attachment 101992
I've got an ajak,and love it,it's powered with a$35.00 v-box,works perfect,takes you perfectly to the correct satellite everytime.For the price of the cheapo v-box,I gotta a couple of spares just in case one poops out.You won't be disappointed,and your gonna love using the heavy duty a-jak,it's a cut above most other mounts.

Reactions: sgs
I have noted similar issue using VBox front panel on a few linear actuators. Wouldn't occur if using remote or STB with DiSEqC 1.2. Never thought others had experienced the same. :D

Interesting... normally I use the remote with the vbox, but I didn't take it to the shed with me when I was testing the AJAK motor. I'll have to try that, hopefully tomorrow, and see what happens :)

sgs

The outer hole is the lower mount location, the inner hole is a water drain.

I learn something new here every day! Thanks Magic Static! :D

Is the lower tab longer than the upper part on your mount ring? I dunno why it is on mine, just wondering if they are all built that way.

sgs

I learn something new here every day! Thanks Magic Static! :D

Is the lower tab longer than the upper part on your mount ring? I dunno why it is on mine, just wondering if they are all built that way.

sgs
I think the AJAK was in a constant state of development. I have seen many of them but they all have something unique in the way they are built. Just little minute changes between each unit. Both of mine have the same declination setup as yours, but pdiddy's unit has a infinitely adjustable declination screw. Yours has elevation control brackets and I've only seen that on one other unit. All three of the AJAKs I have worked with have slightly different sensor parts too. They all provide 10 counts per degree. Which gives you a nice setup option I have used. You can match your count number to the satellite positions. I.E. 87.0W is count 870, 101.0W is count 1010, 137.0W is 1370 and so on.

Interesting... normally I use the remote with the vbox, but I didn't take it to the shed with me when I was testing the AJAK motor. I'll have to try that, hopefully tomorrow, and see what happens :)

Well, I finally got some time to test the vbox and sure enough, if I use the vbox remote, it moves smoothly with no pausing every 10-15 counts. Thanks for telling me about this, Magic Static!

I think the AJAK was in a constant state of development. I have seen many of them but they all have something unique in the way they are built. Just little minute changes between each unit. Both of mine have the same declination setup as yours, but pdiddy's unit has a infinitely adjustable declination screw. Yours has elevation control brackets and I've only seen that on one other unit. All three of the AJAKs I have worked with have slightly different sensor parts too. They all provide 10 counts per degree. Which gives you a nice setup option I have used. You can match your count number to the satellite positions. I.E. 87.0W is count 870, 101.0W is count 1010, 137.0W is 1370 and so on.

Yeah, the fellow that I bought it from said that he bought the elevation control brackets as a kit, for around $50, back when he originally purchased the mount. He figured he might try to do a moon bounce someday, but he never did.

I wonder, should I use a 24" linear actuator for elevation control, or are there special actuators for this purpose? I assume the actuator has more pressure on it when used for elevation, than what a typical linear actuator has for moving a dish East-West.

sgs

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 3)