Need Assistance

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

PWMoore

Original poster
May 24, 2014
Sanford, Texas
I live north of Amarillo, Tx. I am trying to get my 6' Unimesh with c-band LNBF to work. I can get good strength but no Quality. Nothing blocking view of satellite.

Can you assist in info on a satellite that I can see if this things work or not. I get good strength from Echostar 3 67.5 west. I just need the info from the your receiver to plug into my receiver.
I would appreciate any assist. I am new at this and my wife of many years thinks I will never get it to work.

Thanks

Paul

Signal Strength tells you that the receiver is connected to the LNB. Quality tells you about the aiming of the dish. Tells us more, the LO of the LNB, the receiver make, your location, which satellite you are aiming at. Pictures always help.
By the Way WELCOME!
Bob

Are you using a motorized dish, or do you want it stationary on one satellite? If motorized you need to start on your true south satellite with dish set at it apex. If stationary which satellite are you wanting to receive?

I have a 6' Unimesh dish with a Diamond DR-2000 C-band LNBF.
1) How do I adjust for Skew on the LNBF? It does not have marking on it. Old LNBF.
2) Any satellite for FTA to start with to see how it work. Non-motorized dish.
3) Sonicview SV-360 receiver.
Thanks for the assistance.

A good starting point is dishpointer.com - enter your zip code and drag the green pin to your exact location. You will get the exact azimuth, elevation to adjust your dish to and the proper skew for your LNB. If there are no markings on the LNB you will probably need to make a best estimate going by trial and error. Replacing the LNB with a newer one would probably be a good idea. As far as a satellite, I would try 99W, many people set up mini-buds for that one with success. Once you are comfortable with adjusting things you can try other sats or even motorize it. Do you have a compass and angle finder? They are great tools to have for dish setup and not too expensive (under $15 each). I used a cheap compass and a Johnson magnetic angle finder. If you don't have a compass you can use the image on dishpointer. Just zoom the map in and aim your dish at an object that is in line with the satellite you want to receive then adjust elevation as close as possible. Try scanning at that point to see if you are pointed correctly. It's easiest if you can take your receiver and a small tv out to your dish while making adjustments. Move the dish slowly to give your receiver a chance to lock a signal. Another thing that can be very helpful is a satellite meter - I used a cheap analog meter (less that $10) to set up both my motorized ku and c dishes without a problem. It won't tell you what sat you are pointed at but you will at least be able to tell when you are pointed at something and then you can do a scan, see what channels you get and compare them to Lyngsat to see if you are in the ball park.

Last edited:
Hi PWMoore,
First off, I forgot to welcome you in my previous post.:welcome
I wanted to add a little detail. It appears you are in/near Sanford, TX? If so and you try 99W, then you should set your elevation to 48.5 and your azimuth to 169.3 magnetic (on a compass). If you don't have a compass, use dishpointer.com. Drag the green pin to your dish location, zoom in and line your dish up with an object that is along the green line. Skew for 99W, as viewed from behind your dish, would only be -3.5 (a very small amount). Once everything is set up, do a scan and see what you get. See attached dishpointer pic of Sanford, TX. If you try a different sat, just use dishpointer info to help you line dish up. Don't give up and good luck!
Screenshot from 2014-07-03 10:59:22.jpg

""SV-360 receiver"" DVB-S only. Most is, or is going to, DVB-S2 today so you're going to be limited. You can go to www.sathint.com to find others that the receiver is capable of. Hover your mouse on the frequency and the modulation type is shown. :up on the choice of 99W - 4000 H 26400 is a good first TP to go for.

SKEW the LNBF ? Look inside the throat, you'll see 2 'pins' set 90° to each other. Placing the electronics 'box' to the upper right when looking into the throat, One pin will be vertical. Transfer it's position to the back of the LNBF. When on the dish aimed at your True south, the mark, and probe, will be set straight up.
When skewing for satellites away from 'true south', when looking at the back side of the LNBF, facing into the face of the dish the skew is CW for those east of your location. CCW when west of your location.
If imaging it as a clock face, each hour = 30 degrees.
Progress Report?

Still working with it. When I printed the sheets, it missed some prints. Had some time today to play a little on it. Understanding a lot more now. Thanks FaT Air

Clarification: Placing the electronics 'box' to the upper right when looking into the throat, One pin will be vertical. Transfer it's position to the back of the LNBF. What do you mean with the vertical pin being put to the back of the LNBF? Do not see how to do it.

He is saying mark the location of the vertical pin with a permanent marker on the outside of the lnb towards the back so you can see it and use it to align the skew

upload_2014-7-9_9-2-2.png
upload_2014-7-9_9-3-29.png

Reactions: FaT Air
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts