Need C-band advice

Status
Please reply by conversation.

esm

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Apr 2, 2008
Hi,

The previous owner of my house left me most of the hardware from a c-band setup.

I have a GI Innovation 450i receiver with a Channel Master VM 256 installed, the 4-ribbon antenna cable to the dish location, the heavy pole set in concrete in the back yard. The "only" thing that's missing is the dish.

I'm wondering which dish I should buy, a moving affair or a fixed one? We're not really heavy on watching TV but I'd like to get at least some nice free channels. Can someone please provide some insight on this?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Ed

not knowing where you are located
best method is finding a used one locally and move it to your location
this should also be the cheapest since many people who have them no longer use them and might let you have it for free or next to nothing.

We're not really heavy on watching TV but I'd like to get at least some nice free channels. Can someone please provide some insight on this?
Well, you probably know you're in for quite a bit of work.
So, this can't be a casual interest in satellite reception for folks who don't watch much TV.

Some west coast members are elated to get east coast feeds because they either get very early or go to bed early, and can watch network shows live.
Many of those are available on C-band, the remainder on Ku.

Some members like to catch wild feeds of sporting events.
It's not a trivial hobby, but a popular one! - :up
There's a lot in HD, too.

Other members love news feeds.
The news junkies get great in-depth and behind-the-scenes coverage of breaking events.

There is also a plethora of religious programming.
There's kid-friendly programming, where it's from religious groups or not.
There's PBS from several sources.
Foreign language programming is available in 25 languages.
(some of those stations also carry news in English)

What you won't find are HBO, ShowTime, Discovery, FX, and all the pay-channels.

So, if you could characterize what sort of programming is more to your liking, maybe we could tailor a better answer.
It's totally possible you'd be pleased with Ku-band.
If C-band better meets your needs, we have members who can guide you.

I don't believe you're going to get a lot of play from that Analog satellite receiver, but we have guys with those answers, too.
More modern digital (DVB) receivers which record shows (PVRs) are quite common, and work on both C- and Ku- bands.

If your after free channels then you need to look into a FTA setup, not much in the way of free on C-Band that you couldn't get from your local stations and with a lot of programs going digital you most likely would need a 4DTV receiver.
If you plan on using the old pipe you already have make sure you check any new dish you get for the correct pipe size that its needs, a lot of dishes use different size pipes.

New BUDs are expensive, especially with shipping added in. I saw brand new 8 to 10 foot mesh dishes online in the $600 to $1000 range.

So I'd recommend checking Craigslist and eBay for a used one. I found mine (pole, 10' dish, LNB, and receiver) on Craigslist for $75.

Having the pole already in the ground saves you a lot of work. But as was said earlier, you'll need a mounting system that matches your existing pole diameter. 3.5" is common.

And you can get HBO and other premium channels in C-Band if you subscribe through one of the companies like Skyvision.

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the feedback.

I'm located in the Austin, TX area, if that helps narrow things down.

I have a normal areal installed that brings the local channels (ABC, NBC, CBS, PBS, etc).

As to c-band, I'm not opposed to go for the ku band, if my current receiver can handle it. I plan to upgrade to an HD receiver sometime in the future (when I have an HDTV).

I'm not really looking for premium channels, if I can get some cable channels like TNT, Spike or CNN, that would be sufficient.

Does that help narrow things down?

Thanks,

Ed

You'll have to buy them as single channels or as part of a package which will mean you will need a 4DTV receiver. Unless you go with FTA your not going to find much that is still using KU on the C-Band side. The only way your receive will work is either getting a 905 receiver or FTA receiver and using your old box to move the dish. You will also find that as of 12/31/2008 a lot of the analog stations (TNT,CNN, HLN) are all moving to digital.

I'm not quite sure what it means "go with FTA".

I'm not quite sure what it means "go with FTA".
FTA refers to 'free to air', or the unencrypted channels.

I don't know for sure, but I don't think CNN, TNT, and Spike are FTA. So you have to decide if you are interested in subscribing (which would require a special receiver as required by the provider) or you just want the free (FTA) channels.

If I were you, the first thing I'd do is put up a 'Wanted' ad on Craigslist for a big dish.

The GI Innovation 450i receiver is an Analog receiver and when someone says "go with FTA", they simply mean for you to get a DVB (digital) receiver to get the most out of your dish.

What kind of dish should I advertise for on Craigslist, c or ku band?

some people have good luck using craigslist

if you do it ask for either or both

usually asking for old, not being used c-band dish gets the message accross. i have my best luck just driving around in the fall and winter when the leaves are down and looking for old c-band dishes and stopping and talking to the owners about them ..

ESM, that analog receiver won't be very useful to you except for moving the dish and controlling the feed polarity (if you get a feedhorn that requires it)
As a minimum (beyond the dish of course) you will want a DIGITAL FTA receiver.
I will make a recommendation that you check on a CoolSat receiver - I just bought one today (as a Christmas present for my Dad) off eBay for $35 shipped (CoolSat 6000 Premium).
For a beginner they are excellent receivers. You will learn a lot from it - I know I have...
If you haven't already, add this site to your favorites list... you will be back. :D

Be carefully buying from Ebay because of the problem with cloned FTA boxes. Buy from dealers who support this site or ask other member where to buy.

Before I look into an HD receiver, I have to get a dish first and get this setup going to see what it really delivers.

Thanks again for all the advice.

Ed

Thanks a lot for the lead. I've contacted the guy.

Ed

Thanks to Anole's tip, I got the free dish.

It's assembled and on the pole and I have two questions:

1. The Echostar LNB-EA030 has an arrow marking that says "polar axis". Does this arrow marking have to show up or down as opposed to left or right?

2. Can someone point me to the details of how to correctly align and adjust the dish?

Thanks,

Ed

1. The Echostar LNB-EA030 has an arrow marking that says "polar axis". Does this arrow marking have to show up or down as opposed to left or right?
Pointing "Up", if the Dish is driven to it's highest point (middle) it would point at 12 o'clock

2. Can someone point me to the details of how to correctly align and adjust the dish?
Footprints by Dish Size - Adjusting the Polar Mount for Prime Focus Antenna - C/Ku-Band Satellite Systems - Tuning, Tracking, Azimuth, Elevation, Declination Angles, F/D Ratio, Focal Distance, Inclinometer, LNB/Feedhorn Assembly, Actuator Assembly, C

Did you get an FTA Receiver?

Thanks a lot.

I do have a GI Innovation 450i receiver with a Channel Master VM 256.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)