Need Clarification on Max Number of Joeys in 2 Hopper Setup

hojni

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Nov 30, 2003
There now seems to be conflicting information floating around this board regarding the maximum number of Joeys that can be supported in a two Hopper setup. I have seen posts that say the maximum number of Joeys is 4 and others that say 6? Can somebody with official information please clarify?

. . . And no more than 4 streams supported among all Hoppers and Joeys. That means you can't even "Join" the other tuners beyond the 4 Host/Clients as that would still be an additional stream. Your 2 Hoppers can still record, but one or both MAY not be able to stream "out" for viewing if there are already 4 streams in the network, and that includes watching in the the same room as a Hopper.

While I would LOVE more streams for the network, I don't think the 4 stream limitation is that bad. The idea is that it is highly unlikely that you are going to have more than 4 streams on the net even in a large household. The additional Joeys beyond the support of 4 streams are there for flexibility like a Joey in an exercise room that you use only in early morning hours, but not at other times, or a spare room (not connected to a member of the household's TV in a bedroom) shared by all family members that can be used on occasion to view TV in a setting outside the bedroom. I hope you get the idea. This way you don't have to constantly unplug and move a Joey to the other rooms. They will be connected to the net, but can only be viewed if the 4 stream limit is not exceeded.

In my case I may get a 3rd Joey (in addition to TWO Hoppers--one each in a different room-- when they can see each other meaning I would have access from 5 different rooms) so that I have the flexibility and convenience of a 5th room, as I watch TV in the spare room or my bedroom, and that is also true of others in the house, but in my situation I don't think we would ever go beyond the 4 streams, but I understand that there may be some households that might really need a 5 or 6 streams, especially in this economy with a growing number of mulch-genrational families living in one home to save money.

AGAIN, this is ONLY for the OUTPUT streams and has NOTHING to do with the streams coming in to the Hoppers to record, just to the number of Hosts/Clients to watch TV.

Please correct if I am wrong.

yep, it's confirmed and straight out of their training guide. And the fourth joey will require that you have a 2nd hopper. Here's a quote:

Configuration options:
• 1 Hopper with up to 3 Joeys (On the 4th TV you can share the programming from any
of the other 3 TVs, watch a previously recorded program, or On Demand content).
• 2 Hoppers with up to 4 Joeys (maximum of 6 TVs).*

*At product launch, Joeys can only access the DVR features and tuners from one Hopper. The ability for two Hoppersto share DVR functionality and tuners will be available soon.

yep, it's confirmed and straight out of their training guide. And the fourth joey will require that you have a 2nd hopper. Here's a quote:

The four Joey limit may just be a lease limitation. Other materials say 3 Joeys per Hopper.

The four Joey limit may just be a lease limitation. Other materials say 3 Joeys per Hopper.
which materials exactly? (out of curiosity as we'll obviously know 100% on Thursday)

I pulled mine out of their main Hopper Training Guide pdf. Not sure if it uploaded, but i'll give it a shot:

Attachments

• Hopper Training Guide.pdf
    12.1 MB · Views: 286
The Dish customer pricing sheet says the upgrade cost for up to 4 Joeys is $0 and additional Joeys are $99. A full system is 2 Hoppers and 6 Joeys. Matches the 8 channel MoCA 1.1 setup Dish is using.

The Dish customer pricing sheet says the upgrade cost for up to 4 Joeys is $0 and additional Joeys are $99. A full system is 2 Hoppers and 6 Joeys. Matches the 8 channel MoCA 1.1 setup Dish is using.

1st through 3rd Joey are free for new customers. The fourth is $99.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts