need definition of "cascadable" multiswitch...

Status
Please reply by conversation.

diitto

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Aug 10, 2005
The more I read about multiswitches (I've now read a lot of posts and searched the web a fair amount) the less I seem to understand what it means for a multiswitch to be "cascadable"... Can someone who knows please provide a definition of what is meant by "cascadable multiswitch"... If possible provide an example of what would be and what would NOT be a cascadable multiswitch... Nowhere have I found a simple, concise definition of such... And regarding a couple specific switches can someone say whether an Aspen S-4180-GX is cascadable??? How about a Zinwell WB-68??... I found one post that specifically said this Zinwell switch is NOT cascadable and yet I have seen that switch mentioned often as being used in what would appear to be cascade applications??? But since I am confused about what is really meant by cascadable, who knows??? Again, my real question is what is a good definition of a "cascadable multiswitch"???? thanks much... diitto...

Ditto, using the WB68 with the AT9 is NOT cascading. The triple lnb and the 5 lnb dishes both have built-in switches, which are designed to be used with external switches if necessary. Using ANY switch with ANY multiple LNB or multiple feed LNB dish is NOT cascading.

A cascadable switch is one that puts out a 22KHz tone on two of its inputs so that the upstream multiswitch (NOT THE ONE IN THE DISH) will switch to the B satellite for those inputs.

Cascading is connecting more than one switch together in series AFTER the dish to achieve more outputs than one switch can provide. In the first switch, two of the outputs go to receivers, the other two go into the next switch. The outputs of the second switch go to the receivers. So, if the switches in this example are both 4 output units, then the net gain is 6 outputs.

Of course, there are switches with a large number of outputs, making this cascading unnecessary in most cases. Unless you already have 1 switch and want to add more outputs without discarding the first switch.

You're really making this harder on yourself than is necessary. All you need is a switch with more than 4 outputs. And if you're going to upgrade to the AT9 dish soon, you might as well get the WB68 now and be done with it. The WB68 has 8 outputs.

Go here and see what it says. Also look at the installation diagrams.

http://www.zcwc.com/zcwc/products/multi_switch/wb_68.htm

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts