Need Expert Advice - Can't Lock High FEC (9/10) TP's on 10' Mesh - Questioning Setup

Status
Please reply by conversation.

signal.quest

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 29, 2009
Near Scranton, PA
I would appreciate expert advice with my problem locking High FEC (9/10) TP's on my 10' Mesh. I can receive some TP's on the SAT in question (97W) with 100% Q but they are low FEC. The high FEC TP's bounce from 0 to 70 but don't stay at 70 long. I was given this dish from a house about 5 miles away. It was previously used for old analog service. I did not touch the elevation/declination. I am beginning to question the following: is the elevation/declination correct? Is the Feed perfectly skewed? Is the Feed at the correct F/D? Are the trees blocking too much signal? Am I tracking the ARC correctly? Thanks!

Perhaps another quesion would be is the LNBF aimed at the center of the dish?

I'd start with calculating the F/D for the dish and see what the answer is...

Another suspicion I have is that I centered the dish at 72W just east of the dish's APEX. But my true south should be 74W - there is nothing on 74W. I guessed at how far to drive the actuator east of off the APEX to peak on 72W. It seems there are too many variables to check for. Is there a way to rule one variable out at a time?

Have you been able to max out the signal on 72W? For the dish to properly track the arc your dish mounting pole needs to be as perfectly vertical as possible. You would then play with azimuth, elevation, focal point, and skew to max the signal at your closest south (72 in your case). For azimuth make sure your polar mount bracket is pointing perfectly north/south. Elevation; your polar axis should point directly at the North Star or 90deg- (your latitude). Focal point; moving the LNB/LNBF in or out to max the signal. Skew; feed horn rotation in the scaler ring, should be just a bit minus of zero at 72w. Focal point and skew can be fine-tuned at the same time because your feed horn will be loose for either adjustment. The focal point might be off if you removed the support struts to move the dish, in which case it has to be measured and calculated (Diameter squared/ 16 x the Depth), scaler ring back to the center of the dish (inside).

It's a complex set of adjustments but they are important for the dish to track the arc properly. Best of luck...

-C.

Last edited:
What type of LNB?
Can you go to 99west and watch ABC? 8/9 FEC

As for tracking the Arc, "starting" at 72 is fine, with proper tuning, you will naturally adjust the Azimuth to it's proper place.

If you have a LNBF (no poloroter), then set that LNBF as LAK says and move your 10ft dish as far West as you can get to be able to start adjusting the whole mount. If you are close, you will be hitting all the sat's on the arc as you move across the arc. You can count the "clicks" from sat to sat and get very close. Should be 7 1/2 to 11 clicks...

Might be easier to fine tune your feed on the side of the arc, as the feed is then not above the dish face. Your North/South alignment is aligned when you adjust Azimuth (twist the mount on the pole- Do not adjust elevation) to the side of the arc. Do this as soon as you see Q readings dropping off. The continue further to the side of the arc. Adjust Azimuth as necessary. Return to your nearest south satellite and recheck the elevation. If the feed is found to be not centered, and then corrected, you'll have to repeat the BUD tuneup. Center(elevation), and the side(Azimuth)

Have you been able to max out the signal on 72W? For the dish to properly track the arc your dish mounting pole needs to be as perfectly vertical as possible. You would then play with azimuth, elevation, focal point, and skew to max the signal at your closest south (72 in your case). For azimuth make sure your polar mount bracket is pointing perfectly north/south. Elevation; your polar axis should point directly at the North Star or 90deg- (your latitude). Focal point; moving the LNB/LNBF in or out to max the signal. Skew; feed horn rotation in the scaler ring, should be just a bit minus of zero at 72w. Focal point and skew can be fine-tuned at the same time because your feed horn will be loose for either adjustment. The focal point might be off if you removed the support struts to move the dish, in which case it has to be measured and calculated (Diameter squared/ 16 x the Depth), scaler ring back to the center of the dish (inside).

It's a complex set of adjustments but they are important for the dish to track the arc properly. Best of luck...

-C.

I did max out the CW mux on 72W to 100 Q. Does this help to elimate any variables? I have an LNBF - no polarotor.

I don't think it matters what the FEC is. Just something that doesn't max out the Q meter. As in: You may have 100Q, but is it centered or along one side of the arc of performance?? Being there isn't much to choose from on 72 C band, And thinking a 100Q reading may be wider than just one spot in the adjustment. I think I'd double check, and adjust elevation in one direction to some lower Q value, then adjust back, across the peak while counting turns to the same lower Q reading on the other side of peak. Then go back half of the counts. See what that looks like. Then check the Azimuth adjustment. and maybe tweak the feed (away from zenith is easier as you don't have to reach into the dish to get at the feed. If all is peaked up and the 9/10 FEC TP's still don't come in, i'd suspect the PROF 7500 DVB-S2 Card or ?

I ventured up on the roof to tweak the azimuth and actuator. I have managed to get the CBS TP's to about 55 to 60 Q steady. However, I still cannot lock them. I have tried with linux and XP with my PROF 7500. I don't have a STB that can do S2. I am now going to try to tweak the feed if the weather stays nice.

Try peaking on 97W using 3850 V 9980. This is a regular DVB transponder, you should get 80%Q or better.
Once you get that maxed out you should get the others you are looking for.

Try peaking on 97W using 3850 V 9980. This is a regular DVB transponder, you should get 80%Q or better.
Once you get that maxed out you should get the others you are looking for.

I get 77% Q on that TP now and can lock it. I guess I don't have to tweak it too much more.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)