Need help deciding on which satellite company - who has the best packages?

alleymaxx

Original poster
Mar 28, 2008
Hi - I'm new to this site & I came here looking for help. Currently I am with Charter Cable & have decided it's time to make a change. I have been with Charter for about 12 yrs & our rates keep going up.

With Charter we have the Bigger Value Package at a "promo rate" of $59.99. Not sure what it entails because I can't seem to get anyone at Charter to give me a clear answer (?). We also have 3 meg internet service through Charter as well which is $45/month + a $3 modem charge. According to their reps there is not a cheaper rate than this with them.

What I would like is just basic local stations, some extra channels such as HGTV, Disney, History, Discovery, SciFi, etc. No movie channels. I would also like a DVR. So I would like to hear some opinions on who you all think has the best package going.

Thank you in advance for your advice.

Hi - I'm new to this site & I came here looking for help. Currently I am with Charter Cable & have decided it's time to make a change. I have been with Charter for about 12 yrs & our rates keep going up.

With Charter we have the Bigger Value Package at a "promo rate" of $59.99. Not sure what it entails because I can't seem to get anyone at Charter to give me a clear answer (?). We also have 3 meg internet service through Charter as well which is $45/month + a $3 modem charge. According to their reps there is not a cheaper rate than this with them.

What I would like is just basic local stations, some extra channels such as HGTV, Disney, History, Discovery, SciFi, etc. No movie channels. I would also like a DVR. So I would like to hear some opinions on who you all think has the best package going.

Thank you in advance for your advice.
Input. Need more input. Sports? HD?

There are several bargain plans available from both providers. Each one will bundle a standard definition DVR with a commitment.

Dish Family has much, but not all you are asking for. (40 channels) However $20/mo (plus locals $6) is a bargain
DISH Network -- DISH Family
Top 100 is $33 + $6 for locals

On DirecTV you have:
A family pack at $30 is pricier but has more channels (45). It also includes locals at that price.
Their 150 channel pack is normaly $53, but there is a 1 year promotion at $30/mo, which also includes locals.
(sorry, their packages don't lend themselves as well to pointers)

It all goes up from there. HD, movies, expanded packs.

Oh yeah, DISH also has one other bargain with their HD pack, that just gives you the HD channels for $30/mo (plus $6 locals)
DISH Network -- Dish HD

Op here - I am currently behind-the-times as I do not have an HD TV yet so HD so I really don't need that option yet. But we are looking to purchase a new TV with HD within the next year so it is probably an option I need to consider.

The only sports channel I would care to have is ESPN. Don't really watch sports that much.

New to the forums as well, so don't have a lot of input and I've only had satellite for a week.

I went with *E, simply because there was no out of pocket expense. So far, no regrets switching from cable to satellite!

BTW...Pouring cats & dogs here right now and not a single signal loss!!:)

Last edited: