Need Help in Cape Breton Nova Scotia

Status
Please reply by conversation.

fish on

Original poster
Nov 17, 2008
Hi all

I am trying to set up my viewsat ultra, with a 39" star choice dish, which has a barrel circular type lnb, and can be rotated for alignment, right to left, and from what I was told, is linear. Is it possible to pick up galaxy 17 and 19 with this apparatus, and how would one set up for a channel scan, galaxy 10r has been suggested to use, possibly. Your expertise and knowledge would be most appreciated in this matter. Thanks in advance.

Hi.I have mine set up on 101 (AMC 4) for the biography and history channels.You can only get one sat per LNB unless you are motorized.I hope to reaquire AMC 9 (83w) today on another 1M S/C dish for the RTN (2 retro stations) but this dish is difficult to get the elevation setting.FYI, Gal 17 only has feeds,Gal 19 has about 150-200 mostly international channels.AMC 21 @ 125w has about 10 PBS channels but you need a receiver with S2(Dolby stereo) capabalities ,or 'pass through' capabality to a tv with Dolby capability (or a Dolby stereo sys).The S2 is the audio portion of the transmission.You should always include your equipment in your posts so we can help you better.G'luck

Last edited:
Hi Trommy

Thanks for the quick reply. The equipment I'm using is the viewsat Ultra reciever, and a star choice 39" dish, with their linear lnb. I have tried what you suggested in satellite choice and all I get is a signal of 81, and a Q of 0.. I am not to sure if you are familiar with the Ultra, but what I have here at the moment is Galaxy 10r 123.0w, lnb power, on. Lnb type, set to universal, lnb high 10600, lnb low 9750, tp freq. 11720, diseqc 1.o none, motor off, legacy sw, none. I wonder if I have to download a new bin, for me to go true fta. I have no obstuctions in the path of amc, and galaxy 19, and have searched, and am at a loss. I am in the victoria bridge area, off the mira, any feed back would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again

S2 is NOT the audio portion - - The audio of the PBS stations is AC3, Not the normal mpeg audio.
You do not need a receiver capable of 8psk, which is called the S2 broadcast standard. A normal DVB-S receiver will do, It must be either capable of demodulating the AC3 audio, or passing it thru to a decoder. I used a Pansat 3500 with a Sonic Voom connected via the optical connector to decode AC3 audio on the PBS.
DVB-S2 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
BTW- what is the model number of your LNB? >>circular type lnb, - - - I was told, is linear.<< is a bit confusing, doesn't contain much valid info.
BTW-www.dishpointer.com can help in aiming your dish, sorry but I cannot help with the receiver settings.
MODs may move this thread as it isn't C band related.

Last edited:
capebreton problem

Thanks for the reply Fat Air

what i have is 5/C 13/18 V Dual output digital KU LNBF
Input freq. 11-7-122 GHZ
Output freq. 950-1450 MHZ LNB
In reality, if I can zoom in on galaxy 19, would be fine until i get up to speed on true fta. Thanks in advance

Thanks FaT Air.Sorry about that.Supstitute AC3 for S2 in my post,I was a little groggy from a pain pill I took.Your settings should be: LNB Type_Standard;LNB low_10750(if it's a SC LNB). Your other settings are correct.There haven't been any 'enertainment' channels on G10R for a year now
Don't forget to add 20 degrees to the magnetic azmuth to get your true azmuth.Dishpointer.com will give you your dish settings.G'luck

still not getting it

Thanks for the reply Trommy

Tried all that, nothing, i have noted that amc4 is now ses1, and may have to get a over 40" dish to accomplish this, so galaxy 19 may be the one, today i will set up a small tv by the dish and see if that helps, are you in cape breton per chance, perhaps i could email you, since you seem to have a grasp, are you using the ultra also

Well, looking at what you posted for your LNB, I think it is a circular one and not linear which is what you need.........look for LO Freq of 10750. You are also in the wrong section, this is CBand.

What kinda of LNB does it look like?
The StarChoice (Shaw DIrect) LNB's are linear so it will work

Does it look like a "flashlight"? (one giant LNB...usually had one output)..1st 2 pics
Does it look like the "beer can" ones (had 2 outputs and required a switch)...3rd pic
Or is it the newer quad with 4 outputs?...4th pic

Attachments

• lnbStacked.jpg
    lnbStacked.jpg
    6 KB · Views: 141
  • lnbfFlash.jpg
    lnbfFlash.jpg
    9.3 KB · Views: 164
  • beer_can_lnb.jpg
    beer_can_lnb.jpg
    12.2 KB · Views: 153
  • 000_0138.jpg
    000_0138.jpg
    226.7 KB · Views: 163
Hi folks

Success, finally, managed to finally pull in galaxy 19, the answer to your question Iceberg is the photo 2nd from the left. It seems it is a linear lnb. I apologize for being in the wrong sub forum also. This very cool, being on this site, you guys are great, and I appreciate the help, obviously there is alot of reading here to do. At the moment, I am watching Chinese tv, some in english , french, etc. I gather that some of the stations are broadcasting at different times of the day, so lyngsat has all the particulars, or is there another site available, to make it somewhat user freindly. There are 2 bud, nextr door not in use here in the country, and I think the boys will part with them, so first , to get a motor for my dish, any recomendations on that fellows, I saw your rig set up Iceberg, most impressive, so in all reallity you could pull in more birds with 4 lnbs on the same dish with spitters, very cool, I hate asking you guys what c-band receiver to use and motor, obviously I have to read here first as to not put mouth into foot, when it has been posted in the past here. I'm getting the jist of this, and again fellows, thanks alot, fab site, glad to be a member. looking forward to some great reading, and following and hopefully contribute in kind.

Hi Iceberg
Thanks for the heads up, yes I am on 95w, after perusing your link I guess a little to the right and should be there, however, on my receiver viewsat ultra there is no such thing, here is what I have
Galaxy 10r 123w
11/c 90.9w
13/c 127.0w
14/c 125.0w
1r/c 133.0w
3c 95.0w
3c/c 95.0w
4r/c 99.0w

So I guess the appropriate one would be galaxy 3c/c 95w. i don't think you can enter sattelites at will with this receiver, thanks again

Hey fish on, I've got the same dish and lnb here in NB. I have a platinum, but it should be the same on an ultra.

To add sat: menu/installation/channel scan.
Hit down button(arrow) twice will take you to Edit TP
Right arrow twice will be Add Sat
Press OK, should give you a UserSat#
Exit prompts you to save

You can now go back in and go one more icon over and rename satellite.

Any questions, I'll try to help.

Catamount

Fish on,glad you had success.If you can get a BUD (C band,big useful dish) get it.You can use your Viewsat for C band too.That's what I am about to do.You can get KU/C bands on the same dish.G'luck

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts