need help please

Status
Please reply by conversation.

mokhtar

Original poster
Sep 28, 2010
NE indiana
hi guys i need a little help

i have brought with me satellite receiver from north Africa wich it worked great there but i couldnt get it to work here in northeast indiana

it is echolink EL-5060 2CA

the lnb i used have these values

it is gold vision us LNBF

input freq : 10.70 - 12.75 GHz

L.O. :9.75/10.60 GHz

Gian :55dB (type)

NF0.3dB (type)

so what do i need to make it work ???

and i used an old direct tv dish that looks like that

dirtywill2001-albums-about+me-picture982-slimline-w-1000-2-lnb.jpg

Mokhtar
The most obvious question is, is it possible for you to get a bigger dish? How is your lnb attached to the arm? Do you have a clear line of sight? What bird are you trying to hit? What makes you think you hit it? Do you have the proper look angle and are you looking at a hot transponder? Are your fittings and coax in good condition? Is your pole plumb? Basics.
ss

ok thank you for your input i really appreciate it

ok i haven't accomplished anything yet im lost all i have is these equipment

and wondering what i can get with it ? what i can do with it and how ???

i dont care how little it is but if i can get any of the european or american channels i will be glade

yes i have clair view of the sky and i have pointed it to the southern sky

and the lnb i just hooked it to the dish arm with the best angle i think it will work

the cables are in very good condition

but still i didnt get any signals so any suggestions or help that can make my system work is definitely welcome

Mohktar
First pardon me for not welcoming you to Satellite Guys, so: Welcome to Satellite Guys! Without being able to see your setup, my best guess would be from your statement: "the lnb i just hooked it to the dish arm with the best angle i think it will work" leads me to suspect: [1] Dish too small, and [2] LNB mounted at wrong angle/distance. I would suggest another dish at least 90cm to start, bigger would be even better, and a sure way to mount the LNB. Did you personally set up your dish in Africa, what size was it? How familiar are you with the process? Still wonder if you are on a hot transponder. Have you ever programmed satellite setup information into your rx before? Have you seen The List to see what's hot? It's on the top of the page, click it and have a look.
ss

I might suggest 97.0 West as a good place to start, there is well over a hundred channels on it. Check the list to get the info you need to program your rx.

Last edited:
Unless you figure out a way to rig a LNB on that slimline it wont work. Its easier to use a 30-36" dish that the LNB holder is designed for free to air. The Directv LNB's are circular polarity which wont work for FTA here

thank you guys for your help i should say im not familiar with the FTA vocabulary lol

but i can make sense of most of your points i will try to get another dish definitely

yes i have hooked it my self in northafrica it was very simple because there is a jungle of

satellite dishes as far as you can see , all pointed the same direction so it didnt take me

long to figure it out the dish size was about 2' feet and half

ok skyscanner i have read this (I might suggest 97.0 West as a good place to start, there is well over a hundred channels on it. .)

how i can realize this ? wich direction in the sky should i point my dish to. does that mean

i point it west then move it 97 degree right or left ?

or point it south and then move it 97 degree west ?

sorry guys like i said im not familiar with fta language although that is the only way we watch tv in north africa each house hold there have at least one FTA satelite dish

thank you again i really appreciate it

Mohktar
First find a website that will give you a satellite look angle based on your zip code there in Indiana. I think a tab at the top of this page named "Dishpointer. com" might get you to a site like that. I never use it because my dialup internet access is slower than death! But finding a site that offers a look angle will ask you to enter your zip code, and most will give you the required AZIMUTH, MAGNETIC DECLINATION for your location, ELEVATION, and SKEW ANGLE. This will give you the compass degrees to aim your dish, and the elevation on the elevation scale of your dish to raise or lower it to get the proper "look" at the satellite. Then, depending upon if your dish skews the LNB or the whole dish, the angle to skew. This will be useful AFTER you program your receiver with the information found in THE LIST to enter into your receiver's satellite setup menu. What you will be looking for is information on the frequency [generally 11700 to 12200], polarity [V or H], and symbol rate of the transponder you want to lock. Then line up your dish to find the best SIGNAL QUALITY [not level, or strength] for the active transponder you programmed into your receiver. Patience and perseverance my friend, will eventually get you there.
ss

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts