Need help tuning a DSR-4500X

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Jullius

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 21, 2009
La Crosse, WI
I recently picked up a DSR-4500X. The part I need help with is how do I figure out what the Satellite name is in the VCT so I can tune the channels properly. I can set the polarity and frequency and I get a DC2 signal light, but no authorization light. I'm trying to tune JCTV on 91W which I have successfully tuned with a DSR-4400V.

I read in an old post that the DSR-4500X won't authorize a ZK channel unless the Satellite name matches the name in the VCT. I'm hoping that's the case and that my recently purchase wasn't a lemon. The Unit ID matches the number on the back, so I think I'm just missing a step somewhere.

I've been having some success and I think I'll be able to post a "how to tune a dsr-4500x" soon to help others. Basically if you don't know the name of the Satellite in the VCT just use any old name (using the whatever the input defaults to after a reset is the easiest) Turn to an active ZK DC2 feed, by entering the frequency, polarity, and SR until you get the digicipher light to light up, wait a little for the VCT to download. Select the VCT # and a valid channel ... now here's the key to getting it to authorize: go back to the satellite name and choose the option to change it, and hit the up or down arrow. It will let you choose between, the old setting, the new correct setting (it must pick this up from the DC2 stream automatically) or undefined. You want to choose the new satellite name that became an option after getting the DC2 stream.

Now the authorize light will come on and you will have tuned to the channel.

After a factory reset, it's best to "undefine" all 8 ports before inputting the TP info. Once you have a DCII light, go back to define port 1. Now, only sat names in the VCT will be in the list.

But here's where it gets a little tricky. Not only does the unit require the expected sat name, it requires the expected polarity as well. Notice I use the term "expected" rather than actual. I have seen the expected polarity listed in the VCT, be the wrong polarity.

So here's the easiest way to give it what it wants...

1) Factory Reset.
2) Undefine all ports.
3) Input TP info until you have DCII light.
4) Define port 1 with VCT sat name & one of the polarities.
5) Define port 2 with VCT sat name & the other polarity.
6) If the VCT contains more than one sat name, repeat steps 4&5 on ports 3&4, 5&6, ect.
7) In the "Channels" menu, select a VCT #, and a channel #.
8a) If DCII light stays on, keep surfing the channel numbers.

8b) If DCII light goes off, go back to the TP tuning screen and see what the "Active Port" is.
9) Change "Active Port" back to 1.
10) The unit has switched to the port that is named with the expected information. Rename port 1 to this same information & go back to step 7. Important note; If the expected VCT sat name & polarity are not defined to any other port, the unit will stay on port 1 & the DCII light will not go off. This will just leave you scratching your head and wondering what to do (or make you think there are no FP or ZK channels there, when there may be).

The best policy is to make a list of what you find, with all the actual information and the VCT information. This will keep you from having to go through it all over again to find the same channels again.

Of course, these instructions assume that you are feeding through port 1. I hope this helps.

Cheers

Last edited:
No problem Jullius. Here's another tip that may be helpful...

After you've chosen the TP freq (or TP #) when you're trying to lock a TP that you're not sure of the params, you can select "Auto" in SR field. Now it will search that TP to find a DCII lock.

If it does lock, you can use the "Fast Facts 1" screen (displayed on your tv) to see the SR & FEC. Unfortunately, it won't show you the mode (combo or split). But that narrows it down to only 2 combinations to try.

Cheers

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)