Need help understanding mandatory upgrade..

I am not sure now- without pulling them out to look. Two of them are away from home- mobile use now. I do know they use the white remotes if that helps. Used to be I could go on Directv's website and look at my equipment- but now that they have combined with ATT, I have searched everywhere and can't find my equipment listing- All I get with searching equipment is my cell phones listings. I'm also mildly concerned that he replaced the correct receiver and not one of my others. How would I know without my equipment list? I guess if one of the others stopped working- I'd know in a heartbeat. I have one that hardly ever gets used.

Also, ever since I spoke with Directv, and ordered my free upgrade- I have received two 800 number voicemails telling me I am eligible for 50% discount from Directv and to call back on the same number (800) that I received the voicemails from to be able to claim my discount. The voice had a strong Indian accent as well both times. I suspect this is a scam of some sort- that DTV would never call me- all communications have been by text or e-mail up until now. Do you have an opinion?
if you go to the Menus and Settings and more info at each recvr, it will tell you what that recvr model (and other info) is ... no need to take anything apart to find out.

Combining with att had nothing to do with most of what your experiencing.
You Can still find your Equipment info online, just get into your account, it will tell you.

I am not sure now- without pulling them out to look. Two of them are away from home- mobile use now. I do know they use the white remotes if that helps. Used to be I could go on Directv's website and look at my equipment- but now that they have combined with ATT, I have searched everywhere and can't find my equipment listing- All I get with searching equipment is my cell phones listings. I'm also mildly concerned that he replaced the correct receiver and not one of my others. How would I know without my equipment list? I guess if one of the others stopped working- I'd know in a heartbeat. I have one that hardly ever gets used.

Also, ever since I spoke with Directv, and ordered my free upgrade- I have received two 800 number voicemails telling me I am eligible for 50% discount from Directv and to call back on the same number (800) that I received the voicemails from to be able to claim my discount. The voice had a strong Indian accent as well both times. I suspect this is a scam of some sort- that DTV would never call me- all communications have been by text or e-mail up until now. Do you have an opinion?

I guess I could simplify the question as "are they Directv branded or something else like RCA"?

As far as any of us are aware, there's not really any reason they should have to retire the non-Directv branded receivers, but maybe they just want to as part of the method for phasing out SD receivers all the way over the next year or so.

I guess I could simplify the question as "are they Directv branded or something else like RCA"?

As far as any of us are aware, there's not really any reason they should have to retire the non-Directv branded receivers, but maybe they just want to as part of the method for phasing out SD receivers all the way over the next year or so.
IIRC some of the really old equipment no longer provided guide information.

if you go to the Menus and Settings and more info at each recvr, it will tell you what that recvr model (and other info) is ... no need to take anything apart to find out.

Combining with att had nothing to do with most of what your experiencing.
You Can still find your Equipment info online, just get into your account, it will tell you.
I've spent over an hour on the Directv portion of the ATT website- all there is, is package/plan info- my profile etc. Heck, I can't even see my current plan, or what I pay per month. If I search for "my equipment" it brings up my 6 cell phones and wants them upgraded (I do have ATT as my cell provider). The old DTV website I could "refresh" my receivers and view model numbers, location descriptions and the like. Not any more. If I sign in with DTV- it immediately sends me to the ATT combined website where Directv is merely a Tab. It looks to me like ATT is pushing really hard to make you stream their ON-line TV service- that's most of what their website TV tabs are about. I fear ATT will soon announce- no more satellite TV- get what you want from internet. I live in boon docks- internet service is slow at best- and hard to find. Every high speed internet provider I try to change to - when I give them my address says- "not available in your area". The country life is wonderful- I have never lived in a city- I would never trade it for anything- just frustrating to get the same technology as city dwellers.

IIRC some of the really old equipment no longer provided guide information.
Yes, when some of the very old model SD receivers that used the now long discontinued "Master Program Guide" (or "MPG") had to be retired and changed out as they would no longer receive guide data.

But to my knowledge every MPEG-2 based SD receiver that uses the "Advanced Program Guide" (or "APG") should still continue to function on 101 and 119W. Until the DSS format feeds are removed from those satellite slots themselves. ...

Sent from my LM-V600 using Tapatalk

But to my knowledge every MPEG-2 based SD receiver that uses the "Advanced Program Guide" (or "APG") should still continue to function on 101 and 119W. Until the DSS format feeds are removed from those satellite slots themselves. ...

They can't remove those because many of the H2x/HR2x receivers have network tuners that are DVB-S/DSS only. Even some models of the H24/H25 which are likely to be supported as long as Directv is in operation, given the lack of new hardware options for commercial accounts.

They can't remove those because many of the H2x/HR2x receivers have network tuners that are DVB-S/DSS only. Even some models of the H24/H25 which are likely to be supported as long as Directv is in operation, given the lack of new hardware options for commercial accounts.
Yes, but what I was trying to say is that AFAIK all the SD receivers like the OP had should have continued to function as long as the MPEG-2 DSS format program feeds are still available on at least Ku 101W.

But yes, it will be interesting to see how DIRECTV will be able to eventually move MPEG-4 DVB-S2 HD feeds to Ku 101W. While continuing to provide legacy DSS format "fast" and "slow" PID APG streams there for the receiver network tuners at the same time.

I've spent over an hour on the Directv portion of the ATT website- all there is, is package/plan info- my profile etc. Heck, I can't even see my current plan, or what I pay per month. If I search for "my equipment" it brings up my 6 cell phones and wants them upgraded (I do have ATT as my cell provider). The old DTV website I could "refresh" my receivers and view model numbers, location descriptions and the like. Not any more. If I sign in with DTV- it immediately sends me to the ATT combined website where Directv is merely a Tab. It looks to me like ATT is pushing really hard to make you stream their ON-line TV service- that's most of what their website TV tabs are about. I fear ATT will soon announce- no more satellite TV- get what you want from internet. I live in boon docks- internet service is slow at best- and hard to find. Every high speed internet provider I try to change to - when I give them my address says- "not available in your area". The country life is wonderful- I have never lived in a city- I would never trade it for anything- just frustrating to get the same technology as city dwellers.
Just for the hell of it, I just went into my account at Directv.com, like you said, it goes to the combined page, clicked on Directv, then went to My Account, then My Equipment ... my equipment came right up.

Over the last several years, they have screwed with thier User and password, trying to make it more difficult (to be hacked) ... but once your in, everything seemed to be where it use to be.

I'm not sure why they call my HR54 a Genie 3 in the equipment section, but oh well.

But yes, it will be interesting to see how DIRECTV will be able to eventually move MPEG-4 DVB-S2 HD feeds to Ku 101W. While continuing to provide legacy DSS format "fast" and "slow" PID APG streams there for the receiver network tuners at the same time.

Just because they will drop support for MPEG2 SD doesn't mean they will have to actually drop ALL MPEG2 SD programming. They could keep two transponders (one even, one odd) on 101 as DSS, and use it for MPEG2 SD stuff like satellite test channels, music channels, P/I channels they don't care about the quality of, etc.

Just because they will drop support for MPEG2 SD doesn't mean they will have to actually drop ALL MPEG2 SD programming. They could keep two transponders (one even, one odd) on 101 as DSS, and use it for MPEG2 SD stuff like satellite test channels, music channels, P/I channels they don't care about the quality of, etc.
While only two Ku 101W tps. may be sufficient to supply the fast PID streams needed for APG data of the national channels.

It's the current structure of a dozen or more tps. the fast PIDs for the local markets' APG data is spread over that I question if DVB-S2 streams are coming to the tps. at 101W.

While only two Ku 101W tps. may be sufficient to supply the fast PID streams needed for APG data of the national channels.

It's the current structure of a dozen or more tps. the fast PIDs for the local markets' APG data is spread over that I question if DVB-S2 streams are coming to the tps. at 101W.

Other than offering the chance to use better compression than QPSK 6/7 if they wanted, there's not really any reason why they must use DVB-S2 instead of DSS - unless there's some reason why encapsulating MPEG4 in DSS would be a problem.

The assumption that they would is only based on them using DVB-S2 for that one MPEG4 HD transponder on 119.

I don't know if there's a particular reason why they need all those transponders to carry local markets guide data. That may be an artifact of limitations in SD receivers that won't matter when those become obsolete.

Other than offering the chance to use better compression than QPSK 6/7 if they wanted, there's not really any reason why they must use DVB-S2 instead of DSS - unless there's some reason why encapsulating MPEG4 in DSS would be a problem.

The assumption that they would is only based on them using DVB-S2 for that one MPEG4 HD transponder on 119.

I don't know if there's a particular reason why they need all those transponders to carry local markets guide data. That may be an artifact of limitations in SD receivers that won't matter when those become obsolete.
But you actually shot both me and Tom down on this suggestion on Edgecutter last year. ...

Are you retracting those views on this issue now? ...

But you actually shot both me and Tom down on this suggestion on Edgecutter last year. ...

Are you retracting those views on this issue now? ...

I'm just saying that's a possibility if they have some sort of limitation that requires them to maintain PIDs on dozens of transponders as you suggested.

Directv has undoubtedly figured out their plan many years ago, whether it involves DSS/MPEG4 channels and lots of transponders carrying PIDs for locals or only two DSS transponders carrying all the PIDs.

I'm just saying that's a possibility if they have some sort of limitation that requires them to maintain PIDs on dozens of transponders as you suggested.

Directv has undoubtedly figured out their plan many years ago, whether it involves DSS/MPEG4 channels and lots of transponders carrying PIDs for locals or only two DSS transponders carrying all the PIDs.
Yeah ...

Which is why I said back then, I really see no technical barriers to the DSS format carrying MPEG-4 compressed video and AC-3 audio data for HD programs in its 127 byte payload.

I mean it's a container format that should be transparent to the nature of the data it contains. So just as DVB-S2 transparently carries both MPEG-2 or -4, so DSS should be able to do likewise.

I mean it's a container format that should be transparent to the nature of the data it contains. So just as DVB-S2 transparently carries both MPEG-2 or -4, so DSS should be able to do likewise.

Yes, "should", but "should" and tech standards don't always make sense. The question isn't whether Directv can stuff an MPEG4 signal in a DSS transponder. The question is whether the tuners in ALL HD equipment (including oddball stuff like COM3000) will properly decode that.

He also can't use a Genie system. Will need 4 H24's.
What I would do is get them to install 1 dish and 4 H24's in the main house then buy 3 dishes from SolidSignal $49.99 each ( DIRECTV SlimLine 3 SWM LNB Satellite Dish with Stub Mount Kit (SL3T-SWM) from Solid Signal OR DIRECTV SL3 SlimLine 3 SWM LNB Satellite Dish Antenna with J-Mount Kit (AU9-SL3-SWM-B) from Solid Signal ) and move 3 of the receivers. That'd be the cheapest route. Now if they won't provide these older receivers he will be stuck having to pay $99 each for them though someone like SolidSignal. DIRECTV HD Satellite Receiver with IR Remote (H24) from Solid Signal
So to do the entire upgrade yourself it'd be $49.99 x 4 + $99 x 4 = $595.96 + shipping. If you can get one done and the 4 receivers from DirecTV the it's just the $49.99 x 3 = $149.97

My inlaws are sort of in the same situation. They had 3 old sd receivers in the house on one dish and had a 4th sd receiver in the workshop about 100 feet away with its own dish.
Directv just replaced the 3 indoors with a genie and 2 clients (mini i guess) and a new dish but didn't do anything with the workshop setup. If they purchased a new dish for the workshop and a receiver could they add that to the account as just the additional box? Or is there anyway a wireless box would work? Thanks in advance.

My inlaws are sort of in the same situation. They had 3 old sd receivers in the house on one dish and had a 4th sd receiver in the workshop about 100 feet away with its own dish.
Directv just replaced the 3 indoors with a genie and 2 clients (mini i guess) and a new dish but didn't do anything with the workshop setup. If they purchased a new dish for the workshop and a receiver could they add that to the account as just the additional box? Or is there anyway a wireless box would work? Thanks in advance.
If its only 100 feet, it would be worth a try wirelessly.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 3)