Need help with a WI 6 ft C band setup

Status
Please reply by conversation.

zzack

Original poster
Dec 21, 2010
Florida
Hello Sat Guys...

I am having problems getting any channels to show up. On the receiver the quality level is not showing but the signal strength is up to 95-99 at some points.

Here is the setup I have... I picked up the WI 6ft Dish with a new DMX242 C Band LNBF. The receivers are a CNX Trio and a Coolsat 4000 and a GBox to move a 12" actuator.

From reading many past posts, I have checked and rechecked my setup for the right settings starting with a perfectly plum post, elevation angle, declination, and lnbf focal point.

I'm trying to locate my most southern satellite or something close to start with. I've moved the antenna slightly left and right trying to lock in some channel but with no luck. The only thing I've gotten is a strong signal strength which makes me think something is there.

Any ideas as to what the problem could be? :confused:

Thanks

Have you double checked the skew on the lnbf ? It should be set to 0
Do you have the right Lo. freq setting on the receiver?

actually on those LNB's the skew is off by 90 degrees. So you have to "0" it at 3:00 or 9:00 (think clock)

Ok, I've rotated the LNBF before but not sure about the skew. I seen the 30 - 0 - 30 marks on the top, which way does the LNBF face when looking toward the antenna? I didn't get any instructions or diagrams with the LNBF.

What Sat. is at your true south? I see you moved the dish left and right, have you tried lifting up and pushing down? Do you have your dish at its zenith when trying to find your true south?
Good Luck

The a zero on that lnbf should be at the 3 o'clock or 9 o'clock position for correct V/H. If it's at 12 or 6, your polarity will be opposite of actual. 83W-Look for PCN, 3804 V 4167 (it's the only one there)
87W has a few DVB-S AMC 3 at 87.0°W - LyngSat You may have your angles backwards. see pic. These angles are for "traditional" polar angles. Modified polar angles change these just slightly, Footprints by Dish Size - Latitude Declination Chart - C/Ku-Band Satellite Listing Boy, am I a slow typist? Yes.

Attachments

• polar_mount_pic.jpg
    polar_mount_pic.jpg
    152.9 KB · Views: 235
Last edited:
Ok, I've rotated the LNBF before but not sure about the skew. I seen the 30 - 0 - 30 marks on the top, which way does the LNBF face when looking toward the antenna? I didn't get any instructions or diagrams with the LNBF.

if its 0 skew it should look like this

Attachments

• 100_0279.jpg
    100_0279.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 266
Thankyou Iceberg for the photo. Mine was turned around. I changed it to the nine o-clock position. I'm still only getting just high signal but no quality on the receiver.

Today looking at the antenna mount there was one odd thing that could be affecting the antenna. The mount on top where you would adjust the elevation is not level on the side, it's cocked about 3/16". I'll check it tomorrow, but either the bolt hole was not drilled straight across or the elevation bolt is pulling it off center. I'm thinking I might have to put in a piece of steel square stock within the angle bracket to make it sturdy and to level it out correctly.

I'll post back what I find out... Thanks everyone for your replies and help and Happy Holidays!!

If you think you are near a satellite, do a blind scan. Let the receiver do the work. If the LNB is off by 90 degrees or the wrong sat if it can find a signal it will still show when you blind scan. Thats how I found out most of these LNB's are off by 90 degrees :)

Possible solution

I Just purchased the same dish, and I ran into a problem with the instructions. If you look at the photos (from WS's website) and the assembly instructions, it looks like the 3 lnb support arms attach to the edge of the dish. But if you look at the slots between the panels, you will find slots for the support arms (about 8 - 10 inches from the edge). Moving the support arms changed the focal distance and solved the problem. I foumd my first sat (Nimiq 1) on 1-14-2011; I bought the dish on 12-14-2010....8(

Hope that helps...

Thankyou Iceberg for the photo. Mine was turned around. I changed it to the nine o-clock position. I'm still only getting just high signal but no quality on the receiver.

Today looking at the antenna mount there was one odd thing that could be affecting the antenna. The mount on top where you would adjust the elevation is not level on the side, it's cocked about 3/16". I'll check it tomorrow, but either the bolt hole was not drilled straight across or the elevation bolt is pulling it off center. I'm thinking I might have to put in a piece of steel square stock within the angle bracket to make it sturdy and to level it out correctly.

How about a picture of that "mount on top" area , as well as the entrie backside of the mount. Maybe something will jump out at us.
:)
I'll post back what I find out... Thanks everyone for your replies and help and Happy Holidays!!

How about a picture of that "mount on top" area , as well as the entrie backside of the mount. Maybe something will jump out at us.
:)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)