Need help with DirecTV setup

Status
Please reply by conversation.

mitchell100

Original poster
Jan 21, 2012
Somerville, AL
Hey guys,

I hope you all can help me. I am going to try to explain everything as best I can.

So I just moved in with my friends and they do not have tv. I had it where I used to live so I am trying to install my old dish and use my own box so that I can avoid some contracts and what not.

The setup they used to have was a Dish Network dish with 3 recievers (I guess you call them). 3 cables came off of the dish, one for each reciever. 1 went to another dish and the other 2 went into a splitter. 1 of the ones that went into the splitter did not look like it went anywhere and the other went under the house.

I took the one that had 3 recievers down and put my DirectTV dish in its place. I put the 2 cables that went into the splitter, into the DirectTV dish. I typed in my zip code on the reciever and set the correct elevation and got the azimuth pretty close.

The reciever is not detecting any satellites. Also the dish I am using is different than the one I was using at my old house. I tried to reset the settings in my DirectTV box.

Here are some pictures:

Attachments

• 2012-01-21_14-29-23_558.jpg
    2012-01-21_14-29-23_558.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 190
  • 2012-01-21_14-29-09_753.jpg
    2012-01-21_14-29-09_753.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 171
  • 2012-01-21_14-28-58_555.jpg
    2012-01-21_14-28-58_555.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 155
  • 2012-01-21_14-28-43_554.jpg
    2012-01-21_14-28-43_554.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 162
What dish are you using? The old single 18" dish
what receiver? DVR or regular?

basically in simple terms...remove the splitter. That is designed for Dish Network only. Run one cable to the receiver directly (2 if you have a DVR)

To add to Iceberg, what's the model number to your receiver and what did the old dish look like? Did it say slimline? How many lines came from the dish and was you receiving HD?

Alright the dish is, I think, an 18" dish. It is definitely old. There are 2 places for cables to go into it. The dish at my other house was a Slimline something because I saw that name in the box's settings.

Also there is no good way to remove the splitter because the cable that runs under the house is not long enough to reach up to the dish I don't think. I could try pulling on it to see if there is any slack if that is absolutely necessary. The box is not dvr.

The model number on the box is D12-100. I am pretty sure there was hd on my other setup. There was definitely hd on the Dish Network at the house I am at now.
The picture is of the DirectTV dish.2012-01-21_16-08-45_697.jpg

since its a D12 that is SD only. You just need one cable from the LNB (that one works fine) to the receiver

Ok, does it matter where the one cable goes on the satellite since there is 2 places? Also what settings should I use in the box? Does the dish option matter?

either cable would work but there cant be any splitters in the way ;)

set it up as #1 (18" round) in the satellite setup

mitchell100 said:
Ok, does it matter where the one cable goes on the satellite since there is 2 places? Also what settings should I use in the box? Does the dish option matter?

Either port on the LNB (dish) is fine. The box should be set to "round-18"

Ok I tried it and there was not any satellite signal. There are also settings for "round-18 @ 72.5^degrees". Stick with #1?

It is kind of cloudy today so tomorrow I will try the repeat signal thing and adjust the dish some to see if I can pick up a signal.
Also I will take the splitter out tomorrow. I'll post on here and let you all know how it goes.

Thank you both for everything!!!

mitchell100 said:
Ok I tried it and there was not any satellite signal. There are also settings for "round-18 @ 72.5^degrees". Stick with #1?

It is kind of cloudy today so tomorrow I will try the repeat signal thing and adjust the dish some to see if I can pick up a signal.
Also I will take the splitter out tomorrow. I'll post on here and let you all know how it goes.

Stick with "round 18" as for the splitter goes, if it isn't a directv multiswitch it's not going to work. Get a direct line from the dish to receiver

You won't get ANY signal till you remove the splitter, do that first tomorrow, then proceed to run a line from the dish to the recvr and adjust the dish from there.

As already been mentioned, use the 18" dish set up settings, no 72*, thats for the old sat they use to use for locals.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)