Need Help With DSR-4530 ASI output

Status
Please reply by conversation.

MrVideo

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Nov 1, 2010
Wisconsin
I purchased a used DSR-4530 and need to use the ASI output.  But, it appears to be locked off.

If you go through the INPUT options and when you get to ASI OUT, the ENABLED setting is: Lock Off

I have no idea on how to reset that, as I do not have a manual

Is there a way to reset the DSR-4530 back to factory settings and if so, how?

If there is a way to change it from the front panel, that would be a great help.

The telnet connection works, in that I can get to the box, but I have no idea what the login is. If it can be set/cleared via telnet, those instructions would be a great help.

Any help in getting this thing cleared or the ASI lock turned off, would be greatly appreciated.

Nope.  The firmware is too old.  It seems to be the first release such that GigE is not configurable/usable and ASI out is not fully functional.  A fellow budhead also got one and he has the newer firmware and everything works.

Working on getting it exchanged or getting firmware upgrade from Motorola, whichever comes first.

Yep, factory reset done.  That allows ASI out to be turned on, or off.

The firmware in this unit is 00018C:00018F:00000

Firmware of a really working unit is 00018C:008A02:0001C8

In mine, GigE is not configurable.  All you get is the MAC address for GigE.

The ASI out will only pass through the complete stream if the program you select is 4:2:0 SD.  4:2:2 or HD will result in the pass thru quiting shortly after the ASI in was locked, only sending out nulls.

A fellow budhead has the above firmware and his unit does all that is expected of it, even if the program is HD.

I've gotten word from an engineer that has contacts within Motorola that unless one has a service contract for the unit, one cannot get the latest firmware.  It has gotten so bad that Motoorla sales reps are not supposed to waste their time will small accounts.  He tried to get a price quote for encoders and his sales rep friend was told that he couldn't supply him with a quote.

What testing did you do to prove that the ASI output works?  Can you set the GigE IP address info?

Well, that sucks.  For me, not you.  The fact that you can set the GigE IP addresses and the streaming addresses + port to use, is not good news.

To recap, upon booting you have v 0x18f.01 and after the booting is complete the FIRMWARE display indicates that it is 00018C:00018F:00000

If that is the case, our boxes match except that I can't set the GigE IP addresses.  It only presents to me the ability to set the 10/100 IP addresses.

And the version it reports when booting is: 0x18f.01?

If so, supposedly, there is a "secret" method in which to swap firmware banks within the unit and that the ones that aren't working just need to change.  Finding the way to do that change is now being looked for.

0x18f.01 is old, the first release I think. Your IRD is perfectly fine, it's the firmware version that doesn't support transport stream output via GigE. Once you upgrade the firmware, GigE will have an option to configure it's interface and the address for the transport stream, either unicast or multicast. The reason why you see the ASI output is locked is because of the broadcaster. They have the option to enable it or disable it. It'll output via GigE nonetheless.

Firmware upgrade is either accomplished via over the air download (I have no idea which mux you'd find it) or via network to the 10/100 port only. There is a firmware upgrade utility from Motorola called kflash which will load firmware packages to the IRD. If the firmware upgrade goes wrong, which I have had happen to me on one DSR-4530, you need to have it repaired. I can send you the latest firmware I have, 0x1DA12 I think, I forget exactly which version. After the upgrade, you'll be able to configure the GigE port and have access to the transport stream via IP. One of the great things I like about the DSR-4530 is that you can use it as a cheap ASI to IP converter. I have the ASI output of a Scientific Atlanta D9850, tuned to PBS HD03 and HD04, connected to the DSR-4530, and I have access to the PBS mux on a multicast address. You have to configure the DSR-4530's input port to "ASI in". It works beautifully.

It seems that the 0x18f.01 version is fine, it is the 00018c:00018f:00000 firmware that sucks.  The two guys that have units that work 0x18f.01, but the FIRMWARE listing has 00018C:008A02:0001C8.

I'd be happy to load what you have.

The ASI out should also work.  The lock of the ASI out was cleared by the factory reset.  The 10/100 port has been configured for ny LAN.

My e-mail address is vidiot at vidiot.com (it isn't a secret :)

Thanks

Hey Guys,

I just bought 3 used units that have the; 00018C:00018F:00000 Firmware. I was hoping to use the GIGE output. Mr.Video, were you able to get the new firmware to work and make use of the GIGE output? I would also like to get a copy of the firmware if possible.

Thanks.

I've not heard back from emuman100, so I do not have the firmware, or the installer.

I ultimately had my unit exchanged with one that has firmware that works.  I use the ASI output.  The GigE output worked for a while, then stopped.  I've had to move things around and add another switch to my LAN, so I won't know if GigE is back to working until I get it wired back in and the IP addresses changed to work in the LAN.

Just got one semi-working DSR-4530 (LCD panel is very dim, barely readable) but at the bargain price, can't complain much :)
the firmware is 00018C:00018E:00000 (and similar to previous posters, I have non-configurable Gig-E output).
Turbo-8PSK modulation is also not selectable from the menu.
Anybody came across on the firmware update utility (since the last post)?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts