Need help with Pages on a Mac..

smokey982

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 7, 2005
Cleveland, TN (Chattanooga Market)
I'm still learning new things everyday about my new Mac, but now I'm stumped again. I created a word document using Pages and everything was easy. It was very similiar to Microsoft Word. But I saved the file and sent it out in an email, and nobody can open the file. I sent a copy to my work PC and it came as a .pages document. What did I do wrong? Is there a process I missed to make it a pdf or doc file?

I don't use pages, but Macs generally will use an export menu to convert file formats. Is there an export selection under file?

If not try save as... Microsoft uses that model for file conversion and since they are trying to emulate MS, they may have used that model as well.

If all else fails, try printing the document and select create PDF from the print dialog.

I don't remember seeing an export selection under file. I'll have to check it out when I get home this afternoon. That's a good idea on printing to PDF, I wish I had thought of that last night.

I really like the Mac. But you would think they could make things like this a little easier for newbies.

I don't remember seeing an export selection under file. I'll have to check it out when I get home this afternoon. That's a good idea on printing to PDF, I wish I had thought of that last night.

I really like the Mac. But you would think they could make things like this a little easier for newbies.

They are not encouraging you to use word. :) But there is an export function to save as Word docs

Well, MS Word will open a number of formats, such as .TXT (text only), .RTF (standard rich text format), .htm and .html (web page), .ODT (open office), .wri (windows write), .wpd (wordperfect) and .WPS (MS Works). If you can get to any of those places, you can import on the PC.

However, PDF is the standard for guaranteed distribution. It has several advantages. First, formatting is preserved, while Word changes everything based on your default printer. Second, you can guarantee that the text doesn't change by the reviewer. Third, everyone can read the format.

From Apple:

Pages makes it simple to share your documents with colleagues and friends. You can open Microsoft Word files in Pages and save your Pages documents as Word files. With powerful graphics and formatting tools, it’s easy to make Word documents look great in Pages. You can also save your Pages documents as RTF files or as plain text. Or export them as ePub or PDF files — both formats are compatible with iBooks on your iPad, iPhone, or iPod touch. Using the email option, send Pages, Word, or PDF documents right from Pages using Mac OS X Mail.

When you save the document you should have the option tell it what format to save as.

In pages just go File Save, and in the dialog box there is a Save to Word option.

Very easy.

Screen Shot 2011-08-31 at 12.33.32 PM.png

Saving to PDF is fine if you want read only, but not if you want someone to be able to change a document.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)