Need help with setup in Africa

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

lostNafrica

Original poster
Dec 26, 2008
Africa
What up fellas. I'm a complete noob to FTA. But I think I will be okay with some direction. I don't know why I thought all I had to do was throw a dish on my roof and wala. I know the general direction of the sat I'm trying to hook up (Nilesat), but i have no clue what I should enter under antenna settings. This is what i have: Eurostar EB-999 receiver, a Eurostar Universal KU LNBF P8-II
What do I enter under Antenna Settings:

Satellite: (i'm assuming Nilesat101 is fine)

LNB Type:
LO.Freq.low:
LO.Freq.:
22 Khz:
Diseqc port:
Diseqc 1.2:
0/12v switch:
LNB Power:

Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

Are you using a motor, or just a stationary dish?
This page will give you the proper Dish Elevation.....
Satellite Finder / Dish Pointing Calculator with Google Maps | DishPointer.com
Enter Your location and Pick the Sat you want from the list.
The Dish must be precisely aligned.

LNB Type: Universal
LO.Freq.low: 9750
LO.Freq High.: 10600
22 Khz:Off
Diseqc port:Off / None
Diseqc 1.2: Off / None
0/12v switch: Off / None
LNB Power: On

I'm using a stationary dish. So, once I put these inputs in its a matter of pointing at the precise location, right?

Kinda.
Depending on Your location, you will probably need to Skew(twist) the LNB in the LNB Holder.
Can you list your approx location, Long & Lat?

It is easier to align if you can bring a small TV and the Receiver to the Dish.

Umm, I'm actually stationed in Djibouti Africa, and i live in a conex box, lol. So unfortunately I don't know my lat long.

Google is your friend.
Google said:
The capital city of Djibouti is Djibouti.
The latitude and longitude of Djibouti, the capital city of Djibouti country is 11º 30' N, 43º 15' E.
Djibouti is 8hours ahead of Washington, DC during Standard Time.

Nilesat 101 , Nilesat 192 , and Atlantic Bird 4 are at the same location.

What size dish do you have ?

Looking at the Footprint , you will be better served by a 1.5 meter dish so you can get the most channels from your satellite location , otherwise a smaller dish is ok since the Nilesat Birds footprint is very HOT in your area.

I checked out Dishpointer Satellite Finder / Dish Pointing Calculator with Google Maps | DishPointer.com , and you have quite an advantage of getting that sat since you're so far south.

These are the coordinates for Nilesat , for those living in the city of Djibouti.
Elevation: 31.5°
Azimuth (true): 260.5°
Azimuth (magn.): 258.9°
LNB Skew [?]: 75.1° Dish Skew [?]: 90.0°

I think you're in a good location for FTA , maybe after you figure out how to setup your dish you might consider a motor for it.

thanks for all the help everyone :D . i finally got my sat working on hotbird. the only change to the setup given above is the freq. i put it at 10750 when i did my search. i don't know if that's a big deal or not, but it worked. also, my main problem was a faulty cable. so yes, i was on my roof for ever trying to find something when all along my cable was bad!!! and i only found out because i was about to stomp on my box, but instead yanked on the coax cable. magically i started to get a signal. yes, i break things....my bad. thanks again everyone. now i'm off to help a buddy with the same problem.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)