Need new receiver - Advice?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
As far as taking time off from work for an install, do you work 7 days a week? Dish does installs 7 days a week. I'm sure you could find a day for the install.

Dish is not going to let you install their equipment. They seem to think there will be enough self installers with problems from the install that they (Dish) would be ahead to just insist on doing it in the first place. Whatever the reasoning, they don't allow self installs of Dish Hopper systems they lease to you. I don't recall hearing of any exceptions.

As noted, if you want to buy all your equipment, you can install it yourself. KEEP ALL RECEIPTS so down the road, if they claim it was leased, you have some proof.

Now- I let the installer "install" my system. I ran and labeled all coax. I removed the two ViP722 DVRs I was replacing. I drew a diagram. I even added extra flooring and lighting in the attic and noted the duo node was to be installed in the attic just below the dish. I enabled bridging (on only 1 HWS, never on 2 or more). I placed and hooked up both HWS and both Joeys. He did the initial software download, paired the remotes and called in for activation. He never had to go on the roof.

If all goes well, no problem. If something doesn't work, troubleshooting defective equipment or cabling can be a nightmare.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Sure using less than 3G cable may work...but it will ultimately fail.

Seems that if it initially works, there is no reason why it would suddenly stop working.....btw it is not 3rd generation cable it is 3 gigahertz ....lol

That being said, you would PROBABLY be better suited installing new cable.

3 GHz cable has been tested that high. It's the same cable off the same production lines as the 2s. Just the lower rated cable hasn't been tested, and will likely work just as well up to 3 GHz as the certified and so marked stuff.

For enquiring minds: it is Hz (yes upper case H) the standard abbreviation for hertz (yes lower case h), the name given to the frequency unit. (For us oldsters, cps=cycles/sec, properly s for seconds.) The prefixes by 1000's are k=kilo 10^3, M=Mega 10^6, G=giga 10^9, T=tera 10^12. Thus 3GHz. And downward m=milli 10^-3, Greek letter mu=micro 10^-6 (often seen as u by the resemblance), n=nano 10^-9, p=pico 10^-12, f=femto 10^-15, a=atto 10^-18.

(I'm amused that the nuclear dimension of femtometer or fermi is F, spelled out in lower case or capitalized as the unit.)
(A "grand-student" of Fermi, a student of his student. Hope I didn't mess up.) -Ken

One more thing: Is a new dish required? I currently have the 500.

I would prefer just to install the equipment myself and not have to deal with setting up installation appointments, etc.
Self-installing is how HD receiver users end up with SD programming.

Hopper systems are very, VERY unlikely candidates for self-installs.

For enquiring minds: it is Hz (yes upper case H) the standard abbreviation for hertz (yes lower case h), the name given to the frequency unit. (For us oldsters, cps=cycles/sec, properly s for seconds.) The prefixes by 1000's are k=kilo 10^3, M=Mega 10^6, G=giga 10^9, T=tera 10^12. Thus 3GHz. And downward m=milli 10^-3, Greek letter mu=micro 10^-6 (often seen as u by the resemblance), n=nano 10^-9, p=pico 10^-12, f=femto 10^-15, a=atto 10^-18.

(I'm amused that the nuclear dimension of femtometer or fermi is F, spelled out in lower case or capitalized as the unit.)
(A "grand-student" of Fermi, a student of his student. Hope I didn't mess up.) -Ken

Way,way, way over my head.:)

Saw some 4.5GHz cable, maybe we should all start running that to future proof our self's?:)

Is there some sort of problem doing it myself?

There is nothing wrong with installing your own equipment as long as you don't mind you have to purchase all equipment. Some on this forum have done just that for thier own particular reasons with excellent results. There is certainly nothing wrong with doing so if that is your desire. I personally find the cost of purchasing equipment that I will pay the same monthly fee on whether I purchas or lease difficult to justify. As others have said, I did most of my upgrade install prior to the arrival of the tech. All he had to do was make a few connections, download software and pair the remotes. Out of my 5 boxes I think he unpacked and installed 2 and I did the other three, but he insisted on making all the connections new, which I had no problem with. I still got some satisfaction out of being the "helper".

You just blew my mind.;)

Miner

There is nothing wrong with installing your own equipment as long as you don't mind you have to purchase all equipment.
There's really more to it than having a wiring diagram in hand. Lots of people think they are the equal of most of the professional installers but they really don't have the background to know what not to do. There are poor pro installers that have access to all the tools and wisdom so you might imagine how someone who isn't trained might go wrong with just the basic documents.

RF is not for those who don't understand what bending cables too sharply can do to the signals they carry. Drip loops of the appropriate size may prevent your install from turning into a waterfall. Collective wisdom isn't communicated as part of the block wiring diagrams.

For those who do understand the physics of coaxial cable and have been diligently trained and tested in deploying and terminating it, self-installing is fine but for the rest who imagine they must be up to the task, having a bunch of lines on a piece of paper isn't the whole story.

There's really more to it than having a wiring diagram in hand. Lots of people think they are the equal of most of the professional installers but they really don't have the background to know what not to do. There are poor pro installers that have access to all the tools and wisdom so you might imagine how someone who isn't trained might go wrong with just the basic documents.

RF is not for those who don't understand what bending cables too sharply can do to the signals they carry. Drip loops of the appropriate size may prevent your install from turning into a waterfall. Collective wisdom isn't communicated as part of the block wiring diagrams.

For those who do understand the physics of coaxial cable and have been diligently trained and tested in deploying and terminating it, self-installing is fine but for the rest who imagine they must be up to the task, having a bunch of lines on a piece of paper isn't the whole story.

Although, it aint rocket science either as some people make it out to be. one day in a classroom and a few days of training in the field can train someone with a good set of basic skills to do ''basic'' installs.
Wire fishing skills can take a little more to to grasp.

Although, it aint rocket science either as some people make it out to be. one day in a classroom and a few days of training in the field can train someone with a good set of basic skills to do ''basic'' installs.
Wire fishing skills can take a little more to to grasp.
I don't think anyone implied it was rocket science, but it may well take more than a basic map and a heapin' helping of self-confidence to have a long lasting, trouble-free setup that isn't at least as likely to make one a support burden as a happy customer.

As a current student in the hard-knocks school of self-install, I can tell you there's a lot to be said for having it installed professionally. He has spares of everything, and can in minutes get things working while you're still on eBay ordering parts you may or may not need. Cabling? I wouldn't have believed it unless I was there and watched it. Service call for intermittent Hopper. Installer replaced my wall jack keystone mounted RJ-6 barrel with a new 3G "blue" one. Problem solved. One dirty/wet "F" connector between LNB and Node: hours of troubleshooting whack-a-mole in the freezing outdoors. I enjoy the challenge of learning and DIY, but at some point self-improvement can turn into self-flaggelation!

Last edited:

Agreed. Ever seen "Renovation Realities"? :D:D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)