Nothing in the menu for assigning com ports. But wait! Progress !!Yeah the Super SSU Convertor.exe within the CTK DB Tool folder. Try that. If you succeed send me both file versions please.
Try unplugging the FTDI cable. Then while showing hidden devices, delete every com port there is.
Shut down and cold boot your pc. Don't just restart it. Then turn it back on. Let it settle down and open Dev Mgr., show hidden devices. Any com ports?
Plug in your FTDI cable. What populates? Port number? Can it be manually changed to something usable?
How about in the meter itself. In the menu can you assign a port number (You may have already axed me that)?
Progress?? Maybe not.. After trying different methods I was able to get a USB port recognized as com3. I did this by choosing "uninstall device" to all the USB drives in the device manager.. Then no USB's would show up, even if you searched for hardware changes or cold booted.. I plugged my adapter in a front USB port and one would show up, not the right com# though. Repeat step one.. Eventually, after a few tries, com3 was assigned,.....axed. lol
The Com Name Arbitrator Tool is linked below also. Some other cool tools for a rainy day.
Sorry you're having issues but for the FTDI at the very least manually assigning ports should work.
Did you check under all USB related items with show hidden devices enabled for any instances that may have in the past taken over the ports you need?
Hint. If you get a persistent....com 3, com 4...device sucking up the slot you need. Why not try bumping them up to a higher port number.
There also is a method in dev. mgr. to show non-present devices such as USB flash sticks, cameras, CF cards, external HDD's that aren't plugged in....but were at some time. Google search for it. Requires that you open a command prompt as adminintrator, copy and paste or type in a line of code. It's non-destructive 100%. If you wipe USB stuff, the next time you plug them in. They will work ok just as before. We need to get you the com ports you need.
I'm of the belief from the manual in the database editor folder that you must 100% match the header file and other specifics to be able to write a foreign, someone else's file into the finder. Because of clones?? I dunno.
Were there even clones back in the '40's when it was made?
But.. when I try to connect, instead stating that com*.* is being used/not available as before, it does try to connect, but times out. I have tried a straight through cable and a nulled cable, powering up after it starts to connect (the method used when loading a .bin file to this finder), with no success. The program even reacts the same way when the cable is unplugged from the finder. Maybe a setting somewhere?
I don't have the original .bin file.. I wish I did. That is the reason for this thread.
I do have 8 or nine .bin files with foreign satellites. I have one bin file that I dumped from my finder with only one satellite entered, G19, it has no transponders entered.
I call uncle.. I'm now convinced this finder is a sinking ship.
I'm picking this newer one (GTMedia Model V73HD) up in the morning .. Not the latest or greatest but an upgrade . I did some searches and there is newish software available for this model, unlike the WS-6906.
If you want a newer model (Pro or Max) from this company (GTMedia), you have to order and wait weeks for it to come from China, and you know how that sometimes goes.
I would like to figure it out though.. I saw mentions of the CTK DB Tool used with a newer 6908 model, but not the 6906.