Need OTA Guide info updated - DIRT member?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

thelegendlc

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Mar 27, 2011
Moorhead, MN
My local CBS affiliate (Fargo, ND) changed their OTA channel number from 4.1 to 11.2 effective January 1st of this year. However, the guide information for 11.2 just says " Digital Service." I have talked to one of the station's engineers and he states that they are forwarding the correct guide information as it exists now to Tribune Media. I have talked Dish Network support three times with nothing changing. Channel 4.1 in the guide lists the local programming. However, there is no broadcasting on that channel. The broadcasting is now on channel 11. 2. The OTA signal is quite strong from this station. Therefore, I do record quite a few of the CBS television shows. I simply need the 4.1 guide information to be transferred down to channel 11. 2. Can anyone tell me who to talk with to make this change take place?

Notice how a Dirt member has viewed this page, like mine, but has not responded yet within the thread, like my Vegas one.

How many times do you have set for ota programing? If not many, I would suggest writing them down and then do a rescan. I'm not sure if that will help, but it might sync the channel and epg. This is with the Hopper. If you have a VIP receiver, if I remember, you can deletea channel manually then add one manually.
Worth a try.

Dish has to change the info in their data tables, rescanning will do nothing to fix the problem. Nothing DIRT can do but report it. This should be an easy fix, just remapping to the new channel number, if this was a new channel added to the market, then I would say you're out of luck, but this will likely be corrected although it could take a week or more.

How many times do you have set for ota programing? If not many, I would suggest writing them down and then do a rescan. I'm not sure if that will help, but it might sync the channel and epg. This is with the Hopper. If you have a VIP receiver, if I remember, you can deletea channel manually then add one manually. Worth a try.
This is not the issue, nor is it a Hopper or ViP issue.

My local CBS affiliate (Fargo, ND) changed their OTA channel number from 4.1 to 11.2 effective January 1st of this year...
If the guide wasn't updated automatically or within a day or so of this change, my money says it is not going to happen. It has been indicated here by DIRT, Scott asked Dish people at CES, and so on that Dish is done fixing or supporting this issue. There are many, many threads here about this....

Dish is done fixing or supporting this issue.

It would sure appear so. :crying Nevertheless, I don't really understand Dish's stance. It can't cost them much to work off these issues slowly over time.

Reactions: eacalhoun
I think you hit the bingo card on the head.

True enough, but... Why waste resources on failed products (Sling Extender comes to mind), while refusing to spend a dime on something that people actually care about? This is what doesn't make sense to me. Are the number of OTA-viewing customers negligible in comparison to Sling-viewing customers?

True enough, but... Why waste resources on failed products (Sling Extender comes to mind), while refusing to spend a dime on something that people actually care about? This is what doesn't make sense to me. Are the number of OTA-viewing customers negligible in comparison to Sling-viewing customers?
I agree completely. This is especially annoying, as DirecTV does it properly. And, the info is generally correct and complete in Dish guide-data-provider Tribune's database, as seen on their own website TV listings.

It would only take a bit of effort for the initial setup linking the channels in the guide to the Tribune database. Once linked, it should be on virtual auto-pilot.

But, the corporate culture at Dish appears to be one of stubbornness. Once they get an idea in their heads, it is very difficult to change it. I assume some exec/director/manager once said they didn't want to do this, so now they won't do it forever, unless a different exec, either higher-up or the first one's replacement, says otherwise.

Remember how long it took to get them to stop having My Channels be the default guide on the Hopper, and have it just remain on the last-used guide? The fact that they eventually gave in to customer demand gives us some hope they'll come to their senses on this one, as well.

The reality is likely that a tiny number of customers use the OTA add-on options that Dish provides. Ask people you know that have a Hopper or ViP receiver -- and are not members of this site -- if they have an antenna hooked up.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)