Need recommendation for automatic HDMI switch

CubsWin

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Dec 17, 2005
Bourbonnais, IL
I want an automatic HDMI switch to use with an Oppo BDP-83 blu-ray player. I would like the switch to automatically switch to my blu-ray player when it is turned on, then default back to a TiVo box whenever the blu-ray player is off. I do not want to have to use a remote or any type of manual switching. I have researched several different switches and most of the reviews are not clear on whether the devices will do what I am looking for. Can anyone recommend a quality switch for this purpose?

Only ones I know of manually switch or use a remote. HAven't seen any that do what you are describing on their own. With some you can set up a Universal remote so when you switch to Tivo, all compononents change.

S~

S~

I think the Harmony 880 can do this with a good IR controlled HDMI switch.

I have a 5x1 HDMI 1.3a switch that sort of does what you want. The auto sense feature can be shut off but when active it senses the most recent change. Say you are watching your TIVO and turn on the OPPO, it will auto switch to the OPPO but then to go back to the tivo, you'll need to use an IR remote control and select that otherwise when the OPPO would get shut off it just sits there and you'll have a black screen. I don't recall it returning.

But the problem with what I do here is I have usually 3 or 4 devices on the inputs on at the same time and normally switch the sources with my remote anyway. It could work exactly as you state assuming you shut each of the 5 units off before turning the next one on.

Check the specs out here.

Smart SCAN™ algorithm intelligently selects the correct input. Approved by Wives and Kids!

Say you are watching your TIVO and turn on the OPPO, it will auto switch to the OPPO but then to go back to the tivo, you'll need to use an IR remote control and select that otherwise when the OPPO would get shut off it just sits there and you'll have a black screen. I don't recall it returning.
That's what I was afraid of. Since my TiVo is "always on", I was hoping I could find a switch that would default back to the TiVo whenever the lower priority device (blu-ray player) is switched off. Unfortunately it sounds like such a device may not exist.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)