Need serious multiswitch help

Status
Please reply by conversation.

mm4

Original poster
Apr 18, 2007
I currently do not have my DirecTv local channels. I want to keep recieving my west FOX and ABC, so I use my regular antenna for loacas. Do I still have to run my off air antenna into the multiswitch?
Also, do I need any other things (other than the multiswitch and coax) for my installation of my 2 recievers? I have 1 DVR and 1 regular reciever. I htought I read somewhere that somehitng is needed between the reciever and the multiswitch.

Since you didn't specify if you're using HD or SD receivers, I'm going to assume that you're using SD.

Since you will only have three cables coming off of the dish, you do not need a multi-switch since the one built into the dish will handle up to four lines. You will need a ground block between the dish and your receivers, though.

As far as your OTA antenna goes, each receiver has an OTA input on the back of them. You can connect your antenna that way, although it is a good idea to run it through a ground block also.

Tx for the help.

I am using SD and we only have a dual LNB with 2 lines coming out, that is why I need a multiswitch.

You never need your OTA antenna run through the multiswitch. If you do attach your antenna to the multiswitch, it is diplexed and you need a diplexer at the TV end of your lines.

The best way to get the best OTA reception in a perfect world is to have a single line from your antenna to your TV or tuner-no diplexers and no splitters, just one good RG-6 line. In any event, unless you HAVE to diplex because you do not have enough lines and can't add one, it's best to keep your antenna system separate from your satellite dish. They are only related when you hook them up to your receiver. Until then, they prefer to be apart.

For instance, we have a Terk multiswitch with four satellite lines in and eight lines out (three LNB old style dish). We have an over-the-air antenna which feeds into a distribution amplifier with nine lines out. The two systems never touch and are attached to the televisions and DVRs separately.

Still, you do not need to diplex your antenna. You can keep the DirecTV and OTA antenna system separate if you want to. You don't need a multiswitch for that.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts