Need some HDVR2 Tivo help

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Hemi 6.1

On Vacation
Original poster
May 3, 2007
Wayne County,Pa
Ok , I have a Directv Tivo HDVR2 receiver. It was made in 2003 the original Hard drive (40GB 35 Hour) Lasted untill 2005. Then I dumped DVR and had OTA only due to Trees and renting while I was building my house.
I took this Tivo out of the closet last July,and got a replacement Hardrive from a guy I know personally who fixes electronics, Well now the hardrive went again.
Weaknees wants $90 for a replacement ,but that is for a 70 hour . Good deal IMO, But is this going to last a year and break again?
Does Weeknees use a different hard drive then a Maxtor 3.5 series. Because they suck!
What is causing the failure and what should I do? I'll never trade it in for any D* SD DVR and 24 month commitment, so thats out!
But if another better Tivo model comes to mind ,or better hard drive I'm open for discussion. Thanks!

Constant writing to the drive its what is causing the failure, assuming the DVR is in a good environment. Electronics fail, if you're OK with Weaknees price I'd just pull the trigger. I hacked my DVR myself forever ago, and the 160gb Western Digital drive lasted ~5 years. Under that kind of constant work it's just a matter of time.

A year is way too fast but some drives do conk out after a year or two. The older maxtors did stink, but the newer ones are just rebadged seagates.

First thing I'd check is the fan in the dvr. If the fan is busted, you arent going to be getting enough air circulation through the box and stuff wont last as long. Also make sure the box and the fan/vents arent stuffed with dust.

I still have two of those, one with a 400GB drive and one with a 250. Paperweights! :)

Fan works good, Power supply was changed the same time as the last Hard drive.
So from what I see here ,I'm going to end up with the same model Hard drive?

I think weaknees sells larger hard drives for that, and the last time I checked they were seagates.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts