Need some setup guidance

cpalmer2k

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Oct 18, 2013
United States
I'm hoping some of our in house experts can help me out. I've had a FTA dish sitting in the garage for about a year now, and have finally found someone locally who is willing to help me set it up. He's asked me to send him all the information so he can get prepared though, so I just want to make sure my thinking is right.

I have the following:
GEOSATpro 120cm / 48" Offset Satellite Dish

STAB HH120 H-H DiSEqC Motor 50mm

Edision OS mio 4K DVBS2X STB w/ the latest North American Project image.
QUAD OUTPUT LNB STANDARD 10750 Linear 4 Room Ku FTA Satellite 60db GEOSATpro SL4

I seem to remember a photo or an article somewhere in the past that made reference to having to flip the bracket on the dish over or something to use this motor with that dish, or was that another model? Also, I assume the motor and setup needs a 2" pole?

My next question is how much can I setup in advance as far as the receiver goes. Can I fire it up, set up the LNB settings, etc. without it actually being connected or do I need to wait to do that? Could I connect the receiver to the LNB with a piece of coax to complete that step?

Are there any other "gotchas" or catches I need to be aware of? The guy helping me set it up has a lot of experience, but admits he hasn't do anything motorized in years so I'm trying to send him as much information as possible. before he comes out for the project.

I'm hoping some of our in house experts can help me out. I've had a FTA dish sitting in the garage for about a year now, and have finally found someone locally who is willing to help me set it up. He's asked me to send him all the information so he can get prepared though, so I just want to make sure my thinking is right.

I have the following:
GEOSATpro 120cm / 48" Offset Satellite Dish

STAB HH120 H-H DiSEqC Motor 50mm

Edision OS mio 4K DVBS2X STB w/ the latest North American Project image.
QUAD OUTPUT LNB STANDARD 10750 Linear 4 Room Ku FTA Satellite 60db GEOSATpro SL4

I seem to remember a photo or an article somewhere in the past that made reference to having to flip the bracket on the dish over or something to use this motor with that dish, or was that another model? Also, I assume the motor and setup needs a 2" pole?
According to the instructions that I have, how you attach the bracket to back of the dish depends on whether you're motorizing it or using a pole for a fixed installation. Since you're using a motor the instructions show the fine tuning rod on the bottom side of the bracket. The pipe size for mounting the motor can vary but 2 inch pipe would be good.
My next question is how much can I setup in advance as far as the receiver goes. Can I fire it up, set up the LNB settings, etc. without it actually being connected or do I need to wait to do that? Could I connect the receiver to the LNB with a piece of coax to complete that step?
Getting the latitude set on the motor and the elevation on the dish will need to be set along with getting the antenna pointed as close to true south as possible. If you have a signal meter you can connect it to the LNBF and do some preliminary alignment.
Are there any other "gotchas" or catches I need to be aware of? The guy helping me set it up has a lot of experience, but admits he hasn't do anything motorized in years so I'm trying to send him as much information as possible. before he comes out for the project.
If you're "dead on" with the true south and elevation alignments, using USALS to move the dish should find all the satellites in the geosynchronous arc automagically, technically. I use diseqc 1.2 to set all the satellites in my receiver. It takes more time but it has it's advantages over USALS.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts