Need suggestions for NAS

yaz96

Baby, It's Cold Outside
Original poster
Dec 22, 2005
Front Range, Colorado
I need some help.

I have had two 1TB Iomega NAS Home Media drives go bad in the past year. They keep replacing them, but I don't want to rely on them anymore.

I currently have two of them(total 2 TB), and I'm looking to replace both of them, hopefully at a reasonable cost. That's one of the main reasons I bought these particular ones in the first place. The new ones also need to play well with PS3 and Boxee.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

I have a RAID NAS at work. I wish I could remember the model, to warn you off. It takes special software on EVERY workstation to recognize it, and currently something happened to the software so NO workstation sees it. At home I have another brand (not RAID) and it works fine, no special s/w. Of course, at work it's on a domain, at home, just a workgroup (peer).

I've got a Netgear ReadyNAS NVX that has been running non-stop for two and half years without any problems. It is mostly used for Mac Time Machine backups.

I have a Netgear ReadyNAS NV+ that I bought recently with 4 1TB drives in it. Runs great. Not the fastest thing in the world, but supports all the common protocols (SMB, NFS, AFP, Etc).

I have a Netgear ReadyNAS NV+ that I bought recently with 4 1TB drives in it. Runs great. Not the fastest thing in the world, but supports all the common protocols (SMB, NFS, AFP, Etc).

That's good to know, as I ordered one last night. Hopefully I get the same experience.

Anyone tried the Synology brand. They get good reviews on both NewEgg and Amazon.

The Netgear ReadyNas got mixed reviews at best both places.

i have had a ready nas nv+ for about 8 months and as LER points out it's not super fas, but it is more than adequate for my needs a streaming media to several rooms in my house.

Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk

dfergie:

Popcorn Hour and Dune are the feature leaders IMO in streaming media players. The combination of AnyDVD HD + the ReadyNAS with my Dune is awesome... Think I have said that before to be honest with you :)

It was originally a way to archive the 90 or so HD-DVDs I had amassed but I've now ripped a large portion of the remaining DVD collection and some of the Blu-rays... Also all my DVD-Audios in surround etc etc etc. Worked out very nicely although there is always something else to rip.

It's nice to be able to pull up the movie without going down to the basement and grabbing it from the rack. Which reminds, I need to rip The Social Network :)

I love my unRAID. Its not super fast, but it works great for what I need it for.

I use both Thecus and Promise raids. Both have worked without issue. Thecus I use for higher end since they can do 7-16 drives in raid configurations. Thecus costs more but they do a lot more. Promise is a nice low end box.

I cannot comment on cheap, as I bought a Cisco NSS300 series with (4) 2 TB drives in it for 2 grand for work. but I must say since it was installed I have not had to touch a thing on it. took about an hour to get up and running, and we run our website on it too.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts