Hard Drive Suggestions

gadgtfreek

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
May 29, 2006
Lower Alabama
Im looking at loading iso files onto a HDD and playing them on my Oppo 93. My first thought was to buy a My Book AV, because I have had good luck with them, but it's a PITA to hook that up and unhook it when I want to put files on it. Next thought was getting 2 simple docks, like the Thermaltake BlackX, one staying on the Oppo at all times and one with the PC, easy way of loading files.

Problem I notice, is a simple 1TB My Book is $109, yet plain ol internal 1TB HDD is a good deal more depending. I dont really understand why they sell an external HDD kit for less than a naked drive.

Any suggestions on good cheap drives for HD ISO file playback (Blu backups)?

Thanks.

Problem I notice, is a simple 1TB My Book is $109, yet plain ol internal 1TB HDD is a good deal more depending. I dont really understand why they sell an external HDD kit for less than a naked drive.

Where are you looking at the pricing? You should be able to get a internal 1TB drive for around $50 - $60 right now.

I looked on Amazon and Newegg. Maybe Im just looking at wrong brands. Any suggestions, I mean I figure I dont need anything too fancy for strictly HD video playback.

I heard drive prices were skyrocketing due to the flooding overseas. Just checked Newegg and it looks like prices have almost tripled in the last month or so....Wait a couple of weeks for the prices to come back down...

I am very surprised at the increase in pricing of drives since I purchased a new one a couple months ago. I normally buy mine at Microcenter and they are even around $100 again. I wonder why the pricing has increased so much lately?

The Best Buy one is a pretty good deal right now.

I am very surprised at the increase in pricing of drives since I purchased a new one a couple months ago. I normally buy mine at Microcenter and they are even around $100 again. I wonder why the pricing has increased so much lately?

The Best Buy one is a pretty good deal right now.

I remember reading about the flooding now, after tstolze mentioned it. I think Ill pull the trigger on the BBuy drive while its that low. Would 5400 vs 7200 rpm really matter in this application?

The Popcorn Hour works great for transferring your iso files across the network. I have a 2Tb internal drive ($74) 2 months ago at compUSA. I also have a drive for my BD-93 but this is, like you said a PIA to physically take it to the computer to transfer. The advantage of the Oppo ext drive is it works for 3D movie iso's I create in Vegas Pro if your into that. The PCH does not do 3D but otherwise is great. I used a 5400 RPM drive to cut down on noise and heat.

Thanks Don. I think a simple 1TB or 2TB drive connected to the Oppo by a docking station is the way to go. Ill just get two docking stations so I can move the drive back and forth.

John Kotches said:
due to flooding in Thailand where many (or is that most) drives are made pricing has gone way up very quickly.

Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk

I was shocked when I priced components for a build I was getting worked up. I started looking at HDDs and about fell out of my chair. I think I will reuse an old HDD and pick a new one up in a couple of weeks or so.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

sethwell,

they are talking a minimum of 6-9 months of inflated pricing due to short supply. my guess is 18-24 months before it gets back to current pricing.

Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk

According to Western Digital, the facility in Bang Pa-in, Thailand had been submerged in six feet of water since October 15. The water was removed from the facility on November 17 and subsequently decontaminated. Power was restored to the building on November 26 and production began on November 30 after the company removed all previously submerged slider manufacturing equipment. The facility manufacturers the slider that keeps the HDD’s head at a consistent flying height above the actual disk and expects full production to begin in the first quarter of 2012. Western Digital has a second hard drive facility in Navanakorn, Thailand that’s still under approximately two feet of water, but company officials plan to have the facility pumped dry by the end of next week and decontamination procedures will begin.

This is all it said.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts