Need the Following information From Voom Subs

Component and 1080i.

Unfortunately, my phillips 34" tube will not do 720p! Of course, I found this out AFTER getting it home and owning it a while. I used to use it with my DirecTV Zenith STB and it was set at 1080i, so everything worked fine. Then I got VOOM and realized my TV couldn't do 720p. In fact, it doesn't even have a digital input on it (I use the component out converted to a HD15 connector, then routed over CAT5 to my set) MAJOR BUMMER! My projector works fine at 720p (also HD15 over CAT5), but I guess I will need to upgrade my TV eventually. Funny thing is, Phillips is still selling the exact same TV 4 years later, and it still won't do 720p! I found this true of some of the 'killer deal HD sets' over Christmas too. There was a 55"+ widescreen HD set on sale for something like $800 or so at Sears and Best Buy. Turns out, it has no tuner and cannot do 720p. I just wonder how many folks bought one of these thinking they could get he maximum resolution out of it...

Andrew B said:
Component and 1080i.

Unfortunately, my phillips 34" tube will not do 720p! Of course, I found this out AFTER getting it home and owning it a while. I used to use it with my DirecTV Zenith STB and it was set at 1080i, so everything worked fine. Then I got VOOM and realized my TV couldn't do 720p. In fact, it doesn't even have a digital input on it (I use the component out converted to a HD15 connector, then routed over CAT5 to my set) MAJOR BUMMER! My projector works fine at 720p (also HD15 over CAT5), but I guess I will need to upgrade my TV eventually. Funny thing is, Phillips is still selling the exact same TV 4 years later, and it still won't do 720p! I found this true of some of the 'killer deal HD sets' over Christmas too. There was a 55"+ widescreen HD set on sale for something like $800 or so at Sears and Best Buy. Turns out, it has no tuner and cannot do 720p. I just wonder how many folks bought one of these thinking they could get he maximum resolution out of it...
Just to be clear. 1080i is higher resolution than 720p

It's 1920x1080 vs 1280x720

The only thing 720p has going for it is the progressive scan so fast action sequences should look better.

I think the difference is subjective. I like 1080i better.

On a side note, my DLP set foes do 720p but it won't accept the 720p output from the Voom Box. I tried DVI and component both and it acts as if there is nothing plugged in. 480i/p and 1080i work fine.

Using the ATSC tuner on my set I get the local Fox or ABC station (can't remember which) in 720p. The other major networks are all broadcasting in 1080i and look noticably better.

Shawn

We are using component connections...

With a Sim2Seleco DLP with native resolution of 800 X 600 pixels with which we are...

still enjoying HDTV under mostly cloudy Seattle skies, Gill

jjplin said:
Digital displays will do 1280 x 720p but are incapable of interlacing the higher resolution 1980 x 1080i.
There are digital displays that have 1920x1080 HD native resolution. Also 1980x1080 is not a HD resolution.

Rob.

Ilya said:
Because 1080i is the resolution of all VOOM HD channels.

This may be a dumb question but... What about OTA channels? I think Fox transmits in 720P so should I set the Voom receiver to 720P for less scaling?

Sharp 34 inch LCD AQUOS. DVI in at 1080i. PQ is fantastic on both HD and SD. Wish there were an HDMI output for VOOM box. I tried component but PQ was awful (ps I thought component could only do 480p?)

Not true about component only doing 480p

jwcool said:
Sharp 34 inch LCD AQUOS. DVI in at 1080i. PQ is fantastic on both HD and SD. Wish there were an HDMI output for VOOM box. I tried component but PQ was awful (ps I thought component could only do 480p?)

We have incredible PQ and are using component. By the way HDMI is a marketing gimick and has no inherent advantage for PQ. It will be helpful for tying together all the electronics in your house though. And it is easier to control your ability to record in HD as is DVI. Content companies are scared of component output for this reason.

However, at the moment, just enjoying HDTV under cloudy Seattle skies, Gill

jwcool said:

Video signals for both DVI and HDMI are identical, just a different connector, so no advantage one vs. the other. Also, component will do all HD resolutions (and without HDCP).

I have a 43 Sammy model #HLN4365WX/XAA and its hooked up via the Voom supplied DVI cable. It shows 1280/720. Does anyone know how to change the setting to 1080i on this set? It shows that 1080i is supported but I have never seen anthing other than 720. It shows in the owners manual that there is a 1080i mode but I cannot figure out how to change it. I have tried the 1080i componet hook up and it still shows 720. Does this tv sense what the program is and automatically change it? Do I have the STB set correctly? The installer did not leave a manual so I have no idea what the red sattelite symbol means, what the lighted bars on the front mean, and some of the push buttons on the front. Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.
GO VOOM !!!!!

The native resolution on the HLN4365WX/XAA is 1280x720p. Most DLP's are 720p, some newer one's are coming out with 1080p.

My Sets
65" HD RPTV 12080x1080i using component
1st STB set to 1080i with caller id enabled (love cid btw)
19" SDTV using 480i thru composite
2nd STB set to native with caller id enabled
3rd STB unused at this time.

Component
1080i
sony 50inch lcd
seems a tad grainy then 3 weeks ago
all channels have odd volume levels to
some so low and some way to high

DVI
Sony XBR800 "40" 4 x 3 CRT-1080i
STB Owner set at Native

P.S. Picture quality....EXCELLENT!!!....in LA area....on ALL channels....even though I have a faint vertical 3 inch white line moving from right to left, visible during dark scenes on my display... Very Minor....I've tried various configuration remedies to no avail. When and IF things settle down, I'll call for tech support. Voom has come a long way and I for one appreciate their efforts and we'll sink or swim together!

Thanks for this forum!!!!!!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts