Need Your Advice on Upgrading, please!

MaryS910

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Apr 17, 2007
Northwest Louisiana
Hi y'all!

I need both hardware and programming advice and hope you can help since many of you know DISH in and out. I have been with DISH for 10.5 years, am not currently under a contract, and have 2 VIP 622s operating 4 HD TVS but the programming on 2 is SD, of course. (grrrrr)

Right now I am paying $115.98 plus tax for:

DishDVR Advantage Classic Silver 200 $57.99
4 Premium Package $40.00
Locals $5.99
DVR $12.00

My understanding is that the Premium Package I am paying for includes HBO, Gold HD, Platinum HD and I am not sure what else. I also started getting the Cinemax for a penny deal last month.

Is there a less expensive, more efficient way to package this?

-------------------------------------------------
Secondly, and more importantly, one of my VIP622 receivers bit the dust yesterday. Dish says they will send me a new/refurbished one for $14.95 which covers 2nd day UPS. I asked about upgrading to the 722K which I see on the 'offers' page for $75 and the CSR said that doesn't have the antenna and the price would be $104.99 with a 2 year commitment. After I got off the phone with him, I looked at the specs again and it clearly says that the 722K includes 1 ATSC antenna input for off-air digital/HD broadcasts and the price is $75.00. (I guess the CSR was adding 29.99 for that feature, incorrectly)

Next, he goes and talks to a supervisor and says that if I sign the 2 year agreement, they'll give it to me free. Are they kidding me? To save $75? Keep in mind that averaging a $75 monthly DISH bill, I have paid them about $9500 over the years, just on programming. (not counting the old days when we had to BUY the equipment)

Since they don't have the limited HD receivers rule any more, I was thinking about adding a 612 to put in one of the bedrooms that currently is receiving the SD signal from one of my 622s. Again, on the offers page, this is listed as $75 installed. The CSR said that I would have to put that on a 2nd ticket from the 1st.

As a long-time customer, I have 'moved' a few times, played CSR roulette and been on these forums for years but I could really use some help as far as what number to call and what to ask for from whom.

In an ideal world, I would be willing to sign the 2 year contract if they give me the 722 and 612 free including installation on the bedroom for the 612,and oh, a $20 credit on my bill for 12 months. Does that sound reasonable? I already have HD DIrecTV in two rooms but we only activate it from April to October in order to get the MLB package. I would hope that would give me a bit of bargaining power since I could have what I have on DISH now with a simple phone call to DirectTV, no fuss, no muss.

THoughts? advice? Suggestions?

THANKS FOR YOUR INPUT!

You are mixing up the 722 and the 722K. The 722 has a single atsc tuner in the receiver. The 722k does NOT have a built in atsc tuner. You have to purchase it separate and install it in the back of the receiver, and this module is dual atsc tuners.

I would get 211 hd boxes and pay the $40 activation fee for the external hard drive support and add my own external hard drives turning the 211's into single tuner HD dvrs with no dvr fees. The 612 will ding you for another dvr fee and the 612 is still a buggy receiver.

review your bill, if you have dvr advantage you should not be paying separately for locals unless you have a second set of local channels. you also say you have gold hd so your 4 premium package is gold hd, platinum hd, hbo, and classic gold 250 bonus pack since dvr advantage only bundles up to the classic silver.

if both 622 receivers are leased, you can upgrade one or both of them, but forget about getting the 612 as a fifth tuner for anything less than purchase price since there's only a 4 tuner lease limit.

as far as your offer, you basically want $800 worth of receivers and $250 worth of credits...do you really think you are entitled to $1000 worth of freebies....here's a secret: dish in business to make money.

This is what it says about the 722K on the website.

RECEIVER FEATURES
REAR PANEL CONNECTIONS
[FONT=Akzidenz Grotesk BE Light,Akzidenz Grotesk BE Light][FONT=Akzidenz Grotesk BE Light,Akzidenz Grotesk BE Light]• 2 satellite tuner inputs
• 1 UHF Pro remote control antenna input for
included antenna
• Optional over-the-air module with 1ATSC antenna input that provides 2 digital broadcast tuners and a channel 3/4 modulated output
• 1 ATSC antenna input for off-air digital/HD broadcasts
[/FONT]
[/FONT][FONT=Akzidenz Grotesk BE Light,Akzidenz Grotesk BE Light][FONT=Akzidenz Grotesk BE Light,Akzidenz Grotesk BE Light]
[/FONT]
[/FONT][FONT=Akzidenz Grotesk BE Light,Akzidenz Grotesk BE Light][FONT=Akzidenz Grotesk BE Light,Akzidenz Grotesk BE Light]• 1 telephone jack (for installation)
• 1 USB 2.0 port (Archos/external hard drive compatible)
• 1 Ethernet port (for installation)
• 3-prong power cord
[/FONT]
[/FONT]
This is what is says about the 722.

RECEIVER FEATURES
REAR PANEL CONNECTIONS
[FONT=Akzidenz Grotesk BE Light,Akzidenz Grotesk BE Light][FONT=Akzidenz Grotesk BE Light,Akzidenz Grotesk BE Light]• 2 satellite tuner inputs
included antenna
[/FONT]
[/FONT][FONT=Akzidenz Grotesk BE Light,Akzidenz Grotesk BE Light][FONT=Akzidenz Grotesk BE Light,Akzidenz Grotesk BE Light]3
[/FONT]
[/FONT][FONT=Akzidenz Grotesk BE Light,Akzidenz Grotesk BE Light][FONT=Akzidenz Grotesk BE Light,Akzidenz Grotesk BE Light]• 1 telephone jack
• 1 USB 2.0 port (PocketDISH compatible)
• 1 Ethernet port (for future use)
• 3-prong power cord
[/FONT]
[/FONT]
I see what you are saying but now you can understand my confusion, I hope. So you think I should just lease a 211 from DISH and purchase an external hard drive after paying the 40 bucks instead of getting the 612, right? Is the recording to the hard drive seamless, the way it is on the DVR?

I could do that and just swap out my 622 for 14.95, I guess....

You are mixing up the 722 and the 722K. The 722 has a single atsc tuner in the receiver. The 722k does NOT have a built in atsc tuner. You have to purchase it separate and install it in the back of the receiver, and this module is dual atsc tuners.

I would get 211 hd boxes and pay the $40 activation fee for the external hard drive support and add my own external hard drives turning the 211's into single tuner HD dvrs with no dvr fees. The 612 will ding you for another dvr fee and the 612 is still a buggy receiver.

As usual Dish's website is anything but correct.

I have a 211k with a 640gb western digital usb2.0 external harddrive and it has been working flawlessly for a couple of months now. Works just like a regular dish dvr. The giant blue LED on the front of the 211k is annoying but easily covered with a piece of black tape.

Thank you for your reply.

Here is what I have:

DishDVR Advantage Classic Silver 200 - You Saved $0.98! 57.99
4 Premium Package 40.00
Shreveport LA Locals 5.99
TV2 Receiver Connection - (You Saved $5 By Connecting Your Duo Receiver To A Phone Line
/ Broadband.)
Duo Receiver - (You Saved $5 With DishDVR Advantage!)
0.00​
DVR Receiver 12.00

I only have 1 set of locals. I wonder why they are charging me???

Also how do you figure that I am asking for $800 of receivers? On my "offers" page, they offer me the following choices, among others.

Enhanced High Definition DuoDVR Receiver (722 or 722k)
$75 Shipped

High Definition Solo Receiver (211)
$25 Shipped

High Definition Solo DVR Receiver (612)
$75 Installed

I am eligible to get any one of those for the listed price with a 2 year commitment. They offered me the 712 or 712k for free if I sign the 2 year commitment. and said they could do the solo one on a separate ticket and that i'd have to pay $75 but they would install it since it would be in a new room that never was set up for Dish. That tuner limit is not written in stone. When I got my first VIP622, the limit was 1 and they let me lease 2. I guess it depends on your history with them.

EIther way, that doesnt add up to $800 of equpment.

If you look over other posts on this site, Dish almost always makes deals with existing good customers in order to retain them.

review your bill, if you have dvr advantage you should not be paying separately for locals unless you have a second set of local channels. you also say you have gold hd so your 4 premium package is gold hd, platinum hd, hbo, and classic gold 250 bonus pack since dvr advantage only bundles up to the classic silver.

if both 622 receivers are leased, you can upgrade one or both of them, but forget about getting the 612 as a fifth tuner for anything less than purchase price since there's only a 4 tuner lease limit.

as far as your offer, you basically want $800 worth of receivers and $250 worth of credits...do you really think you are entitled to $1000 worth of freebies....here's a secret: dish in business to make money.

Thank you for your reply.

Here is what I have:

DishDVR Advantage Classic Silver 200 - You Saved $0.98! 57.99
4 Premium Package 40.00
Shreveport LA Locals 5.99
TV2 Receiver Connection - (You Saved $5 By Connecting Your Duo Receiver To A Phone Line
/ Broadband.)
Duo Receiver - (You Saved $5 With DishDVR Advantage!)
0.00​
DVR Receiver 12.00

I only have 1 set of locals. I wonder why they are charging me???

Also how do you figure that I am asking for $800 of receivers? On my "offers" page, they offer me the following choices, among others.

Enhanced High Definition DuoDVR Receiver (722 or 722k)
$75 Shipped

High Definition Solo Receiver (211)
$25 Shipped

High Definition Solo DVR Receiver (612)
$75 Installed

I am eligible to get any one of those for the listed price with a 2 year commitment. They offered me the 712 or 712k for free if I sign the 2 year commitment. and said they could do the solo one on a separate ticket and that i'd have to pay $75 but they would install it since it would be in a new room that never was set up for Dish. That tuner limit is not written in stone. When I got my first VIP622, the limit was 1 and they let me lease 2. I guess it depends on your history with them.

EIther way, that doesnt add up to $800 of equpment.

If you look over other posts on this site, Dish almost always makes deals with existing good customers in order to retain them.

Do you really think it only costs $75 to make and ship a 612 receiver?

No, of course not, they take a loss on that deal versus if they sold it to someone else at its fair market value which is probably up in the $300-400 range. They make it back over the two year contract, which of course is of less value when you want to take $240 in credits over 1 year of that contract.

I called and looked into the AEP after your comment. While I wouldnt have the DVR fees, I'd have to pay $20 on top of the existing customer price to get the two HD packages so my bill would run about 20 more each month.

They took off the locals charge and credited me as it shouldn't have been there in the first place.

I decided just to get the replacement 622 for now and they are sending it for free, not even shipping, since I am on Autopay.

AEP includes all dvr fees

You may also may want ck your phone co.. i did hear i got internet and phone dish in a package deal its veary resonable here i ended up saving about 40 bucks a month

I don't know what pricing your are looking at, but with two 622's and AEP it would be:
AEP $57.98
Receiver Lease Fee $7.00
GoldHD, PlatinumHD
and 4 Premiums $60.00
Encore Movie Pack Included
DVR Fees Free
DHPP (W/24 m cmt) Free

for a total of 124.98 - only about 9 bucks more than you are paying now, for a lot more.

This is what it says about the 722K on the website.

RECEIVER FEATURES
REAR PANEL CONNECTIONS
included antenna
• Optional over-the-air module with 1ATSC antenna input that provides 2 digital broadcast tuners and a channel 3/4 modulated output
[/FONT]
[/FONT][FONT=Akzidenz Grotesk BE Light,Akzidenz Grotesk BE Light][FONT=Akzidenz Grotesk BE Light,Akzidenz Grotesk BE Light]
[/FONT]
[/FONT][FONT=Akzidenz Grotesk BE Light,Akzidenz Grotesk BE Light][FONT=Akzidenz Grotesk BE Light,Akzidenz Grotesk BE Light]• 1 telephone jack (for installation)
• 1 USB 2.0 port (Archos/external hard drive compatible)
• 1 Ethernet port (for installation)
• 3-prong power cord
[/FONT]
[/FONT]
This is what is says about the 722.

RECEIVER FEATURES
REAR PANEL CONNECTIONS
included antenna
[/FONT]
[/FONT][FONT=Akzidenz Grotesk BE Light,Akzidenz Grotesk BE Light][FONT=Akzidenz Grotesk BE Light,Akzidenz Grotesk BE Light]3
[/FONT]
[/FONT][FONT=Akzidenz Grotesk BE Light,Akzidenz Grotesk BE Light][FONT=Akzidenz Grotesk BE Light,Akzidenz Grotesk BE Light]• 1 telephone jack
• 1 USB 2.0 port (PocketDISH compatible)
• 1 Ethernet port (for future use)
• 3-prong power cord
[/FONT]
[/FONT]
I see what you are saying but now you can understand my confusion, I hope. So you think I should just lease a 211 from DISH and purchase an external hard drive after paying the 40 bucks instead of getting the 612, right? Is the recording to the hard drive seamless, the way it is on the DVR?

I could do that and just swap out my 622 for 14.95, I guess....
o, what you are seeing is info for a HD DUO DVR and HD Enhanced DUO DVR.

Award Winning HD DVRs!

High Definition DuoDVR Receiver
$100 Installed
$50 Shipped

Enhanced High Definition DuoDVR Receiver
$125 Installed
$75 Shipped

One Room of Service

High Definition Solo DVR Receiver
$75 Installed
Shipped HD DVRs subject to certain restrictions

Nowhere there does it say 722k or even 722!

This is what it is:
Award Winning HD DVRs!

High Definition DuoDVR Receiver-622
$100 Installed
$50 Shipped

Enhanced High Definition DuoDVR Receiver-722
$125 Installed
$75 Shipped

One Room of Service

High Definition Solo DVR Receiver-222
$75 Installed
Shipped HD DVRs subject to certain restrictions

Last edited:

Vip 622 Hum

What advantage is there to networking a 722?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)