Need your help guys

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

sparker

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 8, 2003
Cedar Springs, MI
I have a problem. My Mother is a Christian song writer and she has never gotten her music out to the public in a major way. Well a couple weeks ago she received a solicitation in the mail advertising a place that does satellite broadcasts. They charge $375 for 4 one hour blocks each Sunday to broadcast her music I think that also included streaming audio on this place's website. Problem is the music over the satellite is on c-band (Galaxy 11, tp 14). I know for a fact that c-band is a dying breed. I told her that and she didn't want to believe that. So she called the guy and left a message saying something along the lines of my son says that c-band is a dying breed and it wouldn't be worth the money. He called back today saying if your son thinks everything he reads on the internet is true then he's an idiot and no wonder your music never goes anywhere. He said this is a thriving business for HIM and its not dying out. I think he's full of crap and that he is taking her for the money. It doesn't sound like a lot of money but we are on a fixed income so it is a lot. I just don't think she would get enough listeners to make it worth her while. Any opinions?

I know for a fact that c-band is a dying breed

Where did you get this "fact"?

C-band is NOT a dying breed. There are LOTS of feeds and channels out there that are on C-Band. The info you gave above (G11 TP 14) is IFC (independent Film Net) and has 2 audio subcarriers on it (both Religious) so the channel right now is active.

How do you think Dish/Direct/cable companies get some of the channels? Via C-band
What type of service needs a HECKUVA storm to knock out the signal? C-band (I had a storm the toher day that I lost KU and DBS right away...C-band trucked along through the whole time)

Lots of channels that were analog are going digital but there is still alot of analog stuff out there. Anyone with a C-band dish and an old receiver (or the new 4DTV) would be able to pick it up just fine.

I just added a C-Band dish about 3 months ago for all the cool stuff out there that I can't get anywhere else. I love my C-Band dish and would be really mad if I didn't have it. Check this area and the FTA area and see how many of us have added a C-band dish recently.

Your decision whether or not you want to go with it, but don't base it on what you think is a "dying" breed. :)

If you dont mind me asking, was it either CMRI.TV or Christian Media Network?

Iceberg said:
Where did you get this "fact"?

If you dont mind me asking, was it CMRI.TV

Well I saw that the subscriber base was dwindling according to skynews and other satellite news sites. Yes this is the place. Do you know of them?

Last edited:
sparker said:
I know for a fact that c-band is a dying breed.

You seem to have it mixed up, if you ever watched small dish or cable you must think for a minute, and ask yourself where do they get there channels from? well they get about 80% of there programming from C-band HBO MTV showtime and many many others, broadcast there master feeds on C-band, read this and you will have some better info:
http://satellitetheater.com/C-Band World.htm

I love my big dish, I have 4dtv and dvb, I save hundreds of dollars per year over other services out there, and my picture and sound quality are also much better, so I do not have a clue what bogus writter wrote what you have read but it is very much wrong.

So do you guys think she would get many listeners on there? I just don't see many BUD's anymore unless the sizes of the dishes changed. The BUD's I remember were about 6 feet across.

This sounds like she was solicited by the UonTV people, but I thought they were all dvb.

I wonder if FTA (DVB) would be a more broad audience nowadays, for "random programming".

Which also has me wondering...if leasing an entire C-band TP costs around 25k/month, how much cheaper is a digital TP?

JerryK said:
This sounds like she was solicited by the UonTV people, but I thought they were all dvb.
Jerry.
UONTV is dead..kaput
The channels I posted above are audio subcarriers on analog

I wonder if FTA (DVB) would be a more broad audience nowadays, for "random programming".
very possible. Only issue is fair amount of people have Globecast aimed right at IA5 only. Also, do some of these channels on KU lease out time to people?

Which also has me wondering...if leasing an entire C-band TP costs around 25k/month, how much cheaper is a digital TP?
this company isn't leasing a full channel. They are using an audio subcarrier on the IFC channel

If I tune to TP14 and have the audio at 6.2 or 6.8, I get IFC
If I tune to 7.XX (I cant remember what this one said), I get the audio for that Christian channel (in the digital world, this would be language 2)

And too, you need to remember, those channels or subchannels, are not intended for the common backyard dish listener. They go in network form to local radio stations or cable operators around the country. So I'm quite sure there are many potential listeners out there, and not just the backyard dish listener.

Al

voomvoom said:
And too, you need to remember, those channels or subchannels, are not intended for the common backyard dish listener. They go in network form to local radio stations or cable operators around the country. So I'm quite sure there are many potential listeners out there, and not just the backyard dish listener.

Al

Correct.

sparker said:
So it's somewhat sketchy as to whether she would get consumer listeners...

She will get listeners, the C-band feed is the master feed, cable companys around the country get this feed and have it on there system, and also maybe some radio stations will tape some stuff off this station for replay later, and you also have the backyard big dish users, both the subscribers and the users that do not subscribe to a thing and only watch and hear the free stuff.

if c band would have died every time the news media have said over the years it would have been dead along time ago long live c band. I love my bud.:)

on a separate issue, I don't know what kind of time your mother has but if she has cd's and the time she could do allot of self promotion. Depending on where you live there are usually allot of christian radio stations (sometimes tv as well) and if she calls them and sends her cd's they may get played, also try some web stations they usually wont charge you anything to play you cd (if they like it of course). Also when calling around to the local christian stations if they are automated (allot of radio stations are automated now) find out if they are running a satellite feed or local automation, If it is a satellite feed find out who the distributor is and look them up on the internet and call them. I find it suspicious that you would have to pay for play (which is illegal in terrestrial broadcasting...AKA payola) if she is good enough she should get played for free and the more time she can spend doing self promotion the better off she is. Put up a web site and put her music on there as well.

Just my 2 cents

I believe in C band and plan on getting back into it this year but I would be suspicious of this deal until you know where it will be distributed.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)