Needing help finding HD signal

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Storm7

Original poster
Oct 22, 2008
Hey. I'm new at this site and heard this was the place for some needed help. I hope someone can lead me down the right path. I am trying to set up my Directv 5 LNB Silmline AU9-S (HD) and Directv 20 HD receiver in the upsate of South Carolina. The numbers I got were 45E 217AZ and 65 skew. I am using a Acutrac III Plus meter and finding the hight point of the signals. The reciver confirms I'm getting a great signal for satellites 101 and 119 but can't not seem to get the others. I'm getting all my channels but the HD ones. All my HD channels give me a masseage saying "Serching for Satellite 771". Ex. - I can get channel 206 ESPN but when I turn to channel 206 HD ESPN it say's "Serching for Satellite 771". Am I just off a little bit or am I totally missing something? Help anyone? Thanks.

If you peak 101W and 119W, you should at least get something from the Ka satellites. The BBCs are certainly the first place to look.

If the BBCs are in place, you might try bumping the elevation up or down a bit.

Self-installing is overrated.

It's a MPEG-4 C HD programming satellite (AU9-S) - works up to 4 receivers w/o the need for a multiswitch. I thought I didn't need a BBC. Am I wrong?

Is that what's being called the SWMline dish? The one that only has one output? If so, then you don't need the BBCs.
Otherwise, you do.

If there are four cables coming from the dish then you do need the BBCs.

Thanks everyone for all your help. I will pick up a BBC and give it a try.

The AU9-S is the standard Slimline dish with the built in 5x4 multiswitch. It requires BBCs and one line to each tuner. Solid Signal (your description pretty well matches theirs) offers the SWM LNB as part of a $170 bundle.

You can confirm this by counting the number of outputs on the LNB assembly. If there are four outputs, you need the BBCs. If there is only one output, you don't.

Self-installing is overrated.

And make sure you run all four lines to a common location from where you'll distribute to the rooms. This is where you would add another multiswitch or SWM module for future expansion.

Despite the self serving "self install is overrated comments" (which I very strongly disagree with) it seems nobody has given you the proper peaking sequence for your install, although you do need the BBC for that setup.

You need to concentrate on 101 bird first since that is your central bird - everything else comes in by rotating on that central axis. Nail the center of the 101 AZ (look for the sig drop off on either side of the peaks) - hard lock it in. Hit the center EL on 101 - hard lock it in. Switch the meter to the 119 bird - work on the tilt only - find the center - hard lock it in. Enjoy your HD on 99.

Here is a link to the DTV issued training video - slightly different much earlier version of your dish, but the same alignment protocol as yours - start with part 3.

DIRECTV Ku/Ka MPEG-4 Compatible Satellite Dish Installation Videos

(May not be able to post the workable URL link - just paste into your browser. Pictures/video is worth many many words).

Enjoy your HD and welcome to the world of DIY rather than the world of "I MAY be there between 9 and 6 someday soon".

Mike

PS: Thought this site was about helping others out w/problems - geting too involved in protecting installers now? Installers - I don't wanna hear it - have made too much $ cleaning up your crappy quick installs, so I'm not in your rice bowl.

Despite the self serving "self install is overrated comments" (which I very strongly disagree with) it seems nobody has given you the proper peaking sequence for your install, although you do need the BBC for that setup.
I'm not intentionally serving installers when I make that comment. I'm noting that some of the kinds of questions that are being asked are ones that aren't documented and apparently not widely enough known.

Self-install questions (asked after a self-install failure include):

1. Why doesn't my recently installed <incompatable> dish that I bought off of e-Bay pick up my HD channels?

2. Why doesn't my <non-SWM receiver> not work with the SWMLine that I just bought from Solid Signal?

3. Why doesn't my 4x8 multiswitch work with my H2x receiver?

4. Do I need to ground...?

5. What is a strut?

6. Why did I lose <HD channel> when I diplexed?

The video doesn't tell it all and there are dependencies and codes that should be observed before the project is undertaken (cable bend radius, drip loops, switchgear combinations and technologies). My favorite are those who buy the expensive peaking meter that doesn't support the Ka satellites.

Who is being served by the "I think it is wonderful and unconditionally recommend self-installing" comments? Because of these advices (as well as DIRECTV's decided turn away from supporting self-installation), many good people are buying equipment that won't work or isn't needed and setting it up wrong.

That was the problem - No BBC. For some reason D* didn't send one with the receiver so I took it that it didn't need one. Worked as soon as I turned it on. Again thanks for all your help.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts