Needs tips for new installation today

I was wondering what techs here thought would be better. I don’t think I’d ask a tech at my house. Seems rude, somehow. Maybe I’m looking at it wrong.

Reactions: charlesrshell
I was wondering what techs here thought would be better. I don’t think I’d ask a tech at my house. Seems rude, somehow. Maybe I’m looking at it wrong.
I would think it would be how important the cable sell is to the tech. Maybe tech might be under lots of pressure to sell one by the boss.

I use these HDMI cables for 4K HDR throughout my system. They are fully certified for 4K HDR and are $8 each at Amazon. I have one of those $3000 4KTVs. There is little need for a $40 Cable when my $8 will do exactly the same thing. I've got a ton of money invested in the entire system between the TV, AVR, 4K BR Player, AppleTV 4K, and Roku Ultra, not to mention the Atmos speaker system. I use 7 total HDMI cables in the system. I like the number $56 over $280 any day when the end result is the same.

Amazon product ASIN B003XM1WE0

Go to Best Buy and look at a $900 Sony TV sitting next to a $2500 Sony TV playing the same program. You'll see a noticeable difference. Yes, that's subjective, but anyone with eyesight will see it. You can't see any difference between a $10 hdmi cable and a DISH $40 hdmi cable. For the record, I don't buy the more expensive TV, but I can definitely see the difference.

However, people who buy the $2500 Sony probably already own a set of quality cables. That's not the point here. When a person signs up for satellite TV service and have a technician come out to install it, they trust that technician to be honest and straight with them. They may very well have one of those cheaper TV's, that was their choice. They certainly don't expect to be fed a line of BS about some expensive cable being necessary to enjoy their new TV service.

If you continue to defend DISH's practice of forcing their technician's to sell unneeded equipment while representing yourself as one of the quality installers, maybe you shouldn't bring up the subject of hypocrisy.

Well put. When spending $2500 on a TV, you’re likely getting something that is PROVEN far superior to something less expensive. There is no data PROVING an HDMI cable at $40 is superior to one that is $8.

Would a tech prefer I buy the $39 cable or get a $20 tip? I’ll do one or the other. Not both. And I don’t really need the cable.

I must comment, I’ve had a couple HDMI cables go bad on me. And I have a couple so stiff they are useless.
You know if a tech guys caught acceoting tips, he gets fired? Dumbest policy ever. Trying to turn satellite technicians in the salesman isn't the best policy either but it is my job and I'm going to defend my job every single time. Like I said before, nobody is forcing you to buy anything. Most people don't even know that we have things to sell or services that we provide and are pretty tickled pink that we're there with the product. You can buy an external hard drive cheaper than the one I sell but I'll set it up for you and I'll get your transfer started. Most people on here know how to do that, but you guys aren't most people. As for that cable I have seen and heard the difference. Until one of you tells me that you've sat down and tested both cables side by side oh, I'm not going to accept that they're the same.

Sent from my SM-N950U using the SatelliteGuys app!

Well, unless I have verifiable proof that the $40 cable is better than an $8 one, then I'm going to continue to believe that the situation is like the old overpriced Monster audio cables myth. You're paying for advertising, mostly. Generate artificial demand by hyping it up.

Everyone can do what they want, but the old saying a chain is only as strong as it's weakest link comes to mind when I read about expensive systems with cheap cables. To me, that's like driving a Lamborghini with cheap tires

Well, unless I have verifiable proof that the $40 cable is better than an $8 one, then I'm going to continue to believe that the situation is like the old overpriced Monster audio cables myth. You're paying for advertising, mostly. Generate artificial demand by hyping it up.
Get one and compare. I have, several times, I see a slight difference (possibly matrixing) and mostly, I hear a difference through my Audio System

Everyone can do what they want, but the old saying a chain is only as strong as it's weakest link comes to mind when I read about expensive systems with cheap cables. To me, that's like driving a Lamborghini with cheap tires
There are cheap cables and then there are really cheap cables. Really cheap cables will not pass 4K signals at all. Just because a cable is cheaper than $40 doesn't make it an inferior cable. There are standardization requirements and certifications involved. If a cable has been certified, and I mean really certified and not BS certified, you will get exactly the same signal transfer whether the cable cost $8 or $40. I do have a Monster cable or two laying around from the old days. They are worthless with today's technology and were entirely overpriced for what you got in those same old days. I have a THX rated sound system and my audio is as perfect as they come over those $8 HDMI cables. My son is an audio engineer and he comes to my house to proof some of his works....

Last edited:
Reactions: comfortably_numb
You know if a tech guys caught acceoting tips, he gets fired? Dumbest policy ever. Trying to turn satellite technicians in the salesman isn't the best policy either but it is my job and I'm going to defend my job every single time. Like I said before, nobody is forcing you to buy anything. Most people don't even know that we have things to sell or services that we provide and are pretty tickled pink that we're there with the product. You can buy an external hard drive cheaper than the one I sell but I'll set it up for you and I'll get your transfer started. Most people on here know how to do that, but you guys aren't most people. As for that cable I have seen and heard the difference. Until one of you tells me that you've sat down and tested both cables side by side oh, I'm not going to accept that they're the same.

Sent from my SM-N950U using the SatelliteGuys app!
I have no problem with a tech saying "Do you need an HDMI cable? I have one on hand I can sell you for $40." IMO (and I know I'm not your boss), THAT is fulfilling your "sales" requirement. I don't think technicians should make claims that don't really mean anything to the consumer. Like the "5 year warranty", or it's "RoHS compliant". If you're installing in a wall, ok, say it's certified for in wall. But if you're just attaching it loose, why even mention it. And pulling out the car analogy? Sorry, low blow.

All cars that aren't mechanically impaired can go from point A to point B....... I prefer something built with better quality, myself, but I guess some people are cool with that '93 Chevette, too
I'm guessing most of your customers see you as the "expert" and trust what you say. Since you like car analogies, how about a car salesman saying "oh, the car you called about just sold".

As far as testing both cables, is the signal not 1's and 0's? As long as the physical connection is there, what can actually go wrong? And I have to ask... when you tested both cables side by side, did you know which one was the "expensive" one? Were both sources and destinations identical and calibrated the same?

As PP said, maybe YOU can see/hear a difference. The average consumer? HIGHLY doubtful. They're happy watching compressed HD... complete with artifacts.

I have no problem with a tech saying "Do you need an HDMI cable? I have one on hand I can sell you for $40." IMO (and I know I'm not your boss), THAT is fulfilling your "sales" requirement.

Unfortunately, the sales requirement is a specific dollar amount per job. And that mount has gone up, steadily since sales started. When I first got here, it was $1 per job, now it's $20, by next year, I bet it's $25, then Dish lowers the add to bill limit to $35, making it harder to meet the requirement. BTW, I haven't sold or tried to sell an HDMI cable in months, but I'm almost $35/ work order

Unfortunately, the sales requirement is a specific dollar amount per job. And that mount has gone up, steadily since sales started. When I first got here, it was $1 per job, now it's $20, by next year, I bet it's $25, then Dish lowers the add to bill limit to $35, making it harder to meet the requirement. BTW, I haven't sold or tried to sell an HDMI cable in months, but I'm almost $35/ work order
I can respect that. But now you've made me curious... what add ons do you typically sell (if you're able and willing to divulge)?

Reactions: HipKat
I can respect that. But now you've made me curious... what add ons do you typically sell (if you're able and willing to divulge)?
Polk Audio Surround Sound systems, Wall mounts, tilt and full motion, power relocation, mesh wireless network setups, 8', 15' and 30' HDMI cables (Other than the Audioquest's), GE Surge Protectors, 10x2 outlets and 2x2 outlets, bluetooth adapters, Audioquest 90 degree HDMI elbows, screen cleaners, remotes skins/covers, iHip Bluetooth headphones, to name a few. You can see all this stuff on mydish.com, btw

Polk Audio Surround Sound systems, Wall mounts, tilt and full motion, power relocation, mesh wireless network setups, 8', 15' and 30' HDMI cables (Other than the Audioquest's), GE Surge Protectors, 10x2 outlets and 2x2 outlets, bluetooth adapters, Audioquest 90 degree HDMI elbows, screen cleaners, remotes skins/covers, iHip Bluetooth headphones, to name a few. You can see all this stuff on mydish.com, btw
I'm sorry (that you can't just focus on satellite installation).

boy we boy we really got off topic. But I'll just add that there are some people who really do appreciate the convenience that a dish tech have whatever cables or mounts or whatever. Consumers are probably Savvy enough to know that they're going to be paying more for the device or cable then the otherwise would if they got it someplace else, but as HipKat pointed out a tech is already there to install the add on item and do whatever needs to be done so it's working. the vast majority of people just don't know how to do any of that stuff themselves including just getting an HDMI cable and connecting it to something let alone the more complicated things for them such as an external HDD and whatever else. I have a few people in my family who often prefer and will pay extra if the technician present has the equipment and is willing to install it because for them it's a big savings in time and Hassle and they're not very knowledgeable to begin with and they understand that they're paying for the convenience as well.

however I think it is unfortunate that dish or retailers are forcing techs to become salespeople and making it not just a requirement of the job but making the job dependent on the sale of such items. I also agree that its dangerous territory when spouting corporate claims about a product's superiority; that's heavy duty salesman's talk. it would be nice if we could live in a world where techs can receive some financial compensation for selling items but the job is not dependent on it, and that the idea behind it is to offer the Dish customer convenience with the item in the truck and the tech there to set it up and do all the work. of course that's just too idealistic.

I I think other technicians in trades such as plumbers Etc are also told or required to push items like maybe a new garbage disposal or a new fixture at cetera at least that's what I've heard, and they get rewarded with it not just money but status or best sales of the month, other goodies, and maybe the pic of the finest truck. of course, I appreciate the option of maybe buying that fixture or whatever from the plumber as opposed to me going out and getting the proper one for my spcific plumbing as opposed to doing myself or call him back to put it on an item I later puchased someplace else thereby incurring an additional charge beyond the install such as the charge to just showing up at the house because I still have the option to say no thanks and get it myself.

Reactions: HipKat
I understand selling is part of the job and you got to play by the rules or else. Imo it shouldn't be a requirement but rather a choice. It would be different if these accessories were requested prior and on the order to install.
People don't know about this stuff, and that's how I approach it, not by "selling", but by looking for opportunities and offering, starting out with "Dish isn't just a cable company, you'll see terms like Whole Home Services, In Home Services, etc. We do...... We carry....."

My big item is sound bars. Ridiculous how many people buy nice TV's and listen to the TV speakers....

Reactions: stardust3
I understand selling is part of the job and you got to play by the rules or else. Imo it shouldn't be a requirement but rather a choice. It would be different if these accessories were requested prior and on the order to install.
I have a great idea, to deal with the complaints from people who do not want the technician trying to sell them stuff. Perhaps Dish should implement a "do not market" list. If you register for that, then the tech would not be allowed to try to talk you into buying anything else that you do not specifically request. If you do not register for that list, then you should expect the tech to make a sales pitch. Also, to deal with the concerns that HipKat raised, customers who register for the "do not market" list would not count negatively against the tech's sales metrics, either.

People don't know about this stuff, and that's how I approach it, not by "selling", but by looking for opportunities and offering, starting out with "Dish isn't just a cable company, you'll see terms like Whole Home Services, In Home Services, etc. We do...... We carry....."

My big item is sound bars. Ridiculous how many people buy nice TV's and listen to the TV speakers....
Well, if the TV is really nice enough, then its speakers should provide adequate sound quality for most people. Remember, a TV is not just a video display, it is a total audio/visual experience.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)