Needs tips for new installation today

This is one thing I see on here a lot, like techs only carry the bare minimum of equipment and only what's in a work order. Not true. Other than maybe some rare exception, vans are loaded to deal with any situation. If i Have 3 Hopper 3 installs, I carry 5, et al. And I know that's pretty consistent for most if not all techs. Every time I see "If he doesn't have....." I just roll my eyes

Corporate techs don't seem to carry DPH42 switches on their trucks, though, which seems like a glaring omission IMO

Last edited:
How long before we see the first posts from shortspark about recordings not recording/ or playing back? How many other HWS glitches that only time will reveal.
Yes indeed, if there are glitches with the Hopper with Sling they gave me I will certainly post them - along with my displeasure and wrath! But my hands on experience, even for this short period of a day and a half, tells me the Hopper is the way I want to go, sending the 722 and similar boxes I have had to the recycle bin forever. If the problems to come, if any, become acute I will spring for the Hopper 3 in a heart beat. But as of now, so far so good.

Next up is my trying out my archived recordings on my EHDs. If the boxes play them without a problem I'm a happy camper. I was extremely pleased to see the new set up is able to stream my PC media quickly and without any buffering. If the EHDs work as well I am all set. Now, I have to figure out a way to stop those stupid recordings every night called Prime Time Anytime!!

Reactions: charlesrshell
Yes indeed, if there are glitches with the Hopper with Sling they gave me I will certainly post them - along with my displeasure and wrath! But my hands on experience, even for this short period of a day and a half, tells me the Hopper is the way I want to go, sending the 722 and similar boxes I have had to the recycle bin forever. If the problems to come, if any, become acute I will spring for the Hopper 3 in a heart beat. But as of now, so far so good.

Next up is my trying out my archived recordings on my EHDs. If the boxes play them without a problem I'm a happy camper. I was extremely pleased to see the new set up is able to stream my PC media quickly and without any buffering. If the EHDs work as well I am all set. Now, I have to figure out a way to stop those stupid recordings every night called Prime Time Anytime!!
Look for PrimeTime in your settings and turn it all off.

Next up is my trying out my archived recordings on my EHDs. If the boxes play them without a problem I'm a happy camper. I was extremely pleased to see the new set up is able to stream my PC media quickly and without any buffering. If the EHDs work as well I am all set.
Do not be surprised if you get a black screen the first time you try to play a recording from the EHD. It should play properly the second time you try to play it. This is a bug that Dish is working on fixing. It affects both the Hopper with Sling and the Hopper 3, so upgrading would not help with this. In the meantime, until the bug is fixed, others here have found work-arounds to help streamline this process and make it less clunky, so I will let them weigh-in with any helpful tips.

Do not be surprised if you get a black screen the first time you try to play a recording from the EHD. It should play properly the second time you try to play it. This is a bug that Dish is working on fixing. It affects both the Hopper with Sling and the Hopper 3, so upgrading would not help with this. In the meantime, until the bug is fixed, others here have found work-arounds to help streamline this process and make it less clunky, so I will let them weigh-in with any helpful tips.
I hope they do. I have not tried it yet as I am going out of town for about 10 days on Tues. and don't want to start something I can't finish. I'll try all my different EHDs when I come back and maybe I will get some input and tips from the fellows you are talking about.

Reactions: pattykay
This is Jesse the tech that actually installed you're hopper, You have a hopper with sling and a Joey 3.0 I recommend you call into dish and ask for another upgrade to a hopper 3, because on the wo I had it said hopper sling. It's near impossible to get cust service to upgrade from a hopper sling to hopper 3 for free, or I would have Tried! I hope all is working well so far and that you don't have any issues like the 722 did in your living room...

it's just it's just going to get worse with your Hopper with sling my friend. give it some time as it gets more downloads with more software, more things to do, and you'll see why we tried to tell you to get the H3 and not the Hopper with sling. feel free to post a let us know how things get progressively worse.

Reactions: pattykay
Hi Jesse thanks for responding. I gave you a good review on the survey because you worked so hard and never gave up but as you can read on the thread I should have had a Hopper 3. But that is not your fault since you only can install what is on the form. Anyway, all is well and your hard work paid off.

All cars that aren't mechanically impaired can go from point A to point B....... I prefer something built with better quality, myself, but I guess some people are cool with that '93 Chevette, too

Sorry my friend, but regardless of whether it boosts a salesman/tech’s quotas, I’ll never be spending $39 on an HDMI cable even if it’s plated in gold dust from the moon.

All cars that aren't mechanically impaired can go from point A to point B....... I prefer something built with better quality, myself, but I guess some people are cool with that '93 Chevette, too
But a higher priced car gets you more comfort and amenities.

What does a higher priced (but same length) HDMI cable get you that a lower one doesn't?

A commission?

39D2BE7A-A6DB-4CAA-8D62-1D0874C265F5.gif

Reactions: KaptainRandom