Needs tips for new installation today

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Just finished with "chat" and got nowhere. The lady said I have Hopper with Sling and the only difference is that a Hopper has 16 tuners, more than what I have. She said that is the only real difference and the 3 is suited for more tvs than I use (I have 3). I still said I wanted the latest which is the 3 and she said the best they could do is upgrade with the 3 but it would cost $100. I told her that was unacceptable and on Monday I would call customer retention because I have a $200 a month bill that I have not been late on for over 20 years and I deserve better than to be shorted on equipment. So, if customer retention can't send me a Hopper 3 for no fee I will walk. Now I have to figure out my internet connection. It shows I am full connected but when I speak in the remote microphone I get a message that I am not connected. Don't know what the problem there is. Also, how do I stop those recordings of prime channels every night. I don't want to record any of them.

Just finished with "chat" and got nowhere. The lady said I have Hopper with Sling and the only difference is that a Hopper has 16 tuners, more than what I have. She said that is the only real difference and the 3 is suited for more tvs than I use (I have 3). I still said I wanted the latest which is the 3 and she said the best they could do is upgrade with the 3 but it would cost $100. I told her that was unacceptable and on Monday I would call customer retention because I have a $200 a month bill that I have not been late on for over 20 years and I deserve better than to be shorted on equipment. So, if customer retention can't send me a Hopper 3 for no fee I will walk. Now I have to figure out my internet connection. It shows I am full connected but when I speak in the remote microphone I get a message that I am not connected. Don't know what the problem there is. Also, how do I stop those recordings of prime channels every night. I don't want to record any of them.

You started a thread here asking for advice. The best advice you got was in the very first response from mdram. You didn't heed that advice and now you're stuck trying to change your equipment after the fact. Good luck, hope it works out for you.

You might be 69 and asked for advice, you sure aren't using the advice you were given. Hoppers can take up to 3 days to settle in and work correctly. You were in such a panic to upgrade you signed a 2 year contract for equipment everyone told you to avoid. Enjoy your "NEW" old equipment, HWS (Hopper With Sling) is about 5 years old..

It sounds like he can easily get the Hopper 3, just pay the upgrade fee like everybody else does. I don't get why some folks think that they should get a better deal than everybody else gets by threatening to quit or having a tantrum or practicing their rug merchant skills. Yea sure it works sometimes but somebody has to pay so if one person gets a good deal their fellow customers are picking up the tab for them.

I wonder if some of you guys negotiate the price at the grocery store too? :biggrin

Yes, I did not take care to make certain I had a Hopper 3. I did not know what it looked like but since I got a Joey 3 (it said so on the box) and I was lead to believe by the technician I was getting a Hopper 3 as well (he even tried to sell me a 4K hdmi cable), I did not bother to make certain of it. I did not know what it looked like until I was told it had red on the bottom.

But the more I play with this "old" technology the more I like it. It is not perfect but I am sort of wondering now if I really do need a Hopper 3. In what way would it be an improvement? The picture I am getting is very clear, I only need the one Joey and Hopper as all outputs are enabled, and what would 16 tuners do for me anyway? The more I become familiar, (which I did not have a chance to do because I was in a rush) the more I am thinking that the Hopper 3 may not be, in my situation, all that necessary although it might be nice to have. It may be "old" tech to those of you who are really into this stuff but it light years ahead of the 722 and 622 I've been use to.

I figured out the internet problem and now the remote microphone works flawlessly and is a great feature. Today has been different than yesterday and my hands on experience has helped a lot. If I feel I am lacking features I need, I don't mind springing a hundred bucks for the "newer" technology. If I had demanded a Hopper 3 at the start they would have told me it would cost more right then and there and I would have had to make a decision immediately, not knowing what I know now. Now I can take my time and determine what I really need.

Thanks to all who helped me and contributed to this thread. I may not have done it as some of you suggested and would have done yourselves but your advice was good and I appreciate it. I'm sure I will be happy no matter what I end up with and that is the important thing.

There isn't a 4K HDMI cable but HDR can require a bit more. Most HDMI cables will transport that signal just fine but some won't. All that said, that $40 cable is simply not needed and I don't see that it ever will.

I do find it funny that they tried to sell you a 4K HDMI cable for a receiver that is incapable of 4K.

The HWS will be slower than the H3. MUCH slower. You will come to dislike the lag.

With 3 TVs and multiple use I’d say more than three tuners is highly desirable.

Since you only have one Hopper, some of the annoyances of the HWS will not be apparent to you.

The quicker you move to get the H3, the better your chances.

And frankly, since the tech told you it was a H3 and it isn’t, I’d write a letter to whatever consumer affairs branch your government has.

Don’t bother writing to the BBB. I did once, and they were astonished someone would want to file a complaint with them.

It is dis-heartening to have to realize that even someone who reaches out for advice and probably expressed that advice to the phone rep and installer,
was still given lesser equipment.

Being faced with the reality that at least in Dish's case, 'wool' will be 'pulled'.

Sent from my SM-G930P using the SatelliteGuys app!

The HWS will be slower than the H3. MUCH slower. You will come to dislike the lag.

With 3 TVs and multiple use I’d say more than three tuners is highly desirable.

Since you only have one Hopper, some of the annoyances of the HWS will not be apparent to you.

The quicker you move to get the H3, the better your chances.

And frankly, since the tech told you it was a H3 and it isn’t, I’d write a letter to whatever consumer affairs branch your government has.

Don’t bother writing to the BBB. I did once, and they were astonished someone would want to file a complaint with them.

Yeah, so when are you getting an H3? ;)

Yeah, so when are you getting an H3? ;)
Not sure now. The more I play with this thing the more I am wondering what else I need - and I can't think of a thing. The Hopper with Sling is great although it is probably old hat to most of you guys. I have two tvs and a projector in the home theater room but there is just the two of us and we usually watch the same thing. We don't record programs hardly at all, maybe a movie once in a while but with all the VOD at our disposal there is no real need to record much of anything. I will continue to learn about all the bells and whistles of the Hopper 3, especially the speed factor although I have no problem with the speed of what I have. Right now, as it stands at this moment, I'm happy with what I ended up with. Also, I was never told by the tech guy he was installing a Hopper 3. But everything he said and did made me think that is what he is doing. Why aren't these thing clearly marked on the box as to what model they are?

Reactions: pattykay
Not sure now. The more I play with this thing the more I am wondering what else I need - and I can't think of a thing. The Hopper with Sling is great although it is probably old hat to most of you guys. I have two tvs and a projector in the home theater room but there is just the two of us and we usually watch the same thing. We don't record programs hardly at all, maybe a movie once in a while but with all the VOD at our disposal there is no real need to record much of anything. I will continue to learn about all the bells and whistles of the Hopper 3, especially the speed factor although I have no problem with the speed of what I have. Right now, as it stands at this moment, I'm happy with what I ended up with. Also, I was never told by the tech guy he was installing a Hopper 3. But everything he said and did made me think that is what he is doing. Why aren't these thing clearly marked on the box as to what model they are?

I was really asking navychop as he has been part of the H3 “resistance” :)

I was very happy with my HWS till the hard drive died . I finally bought a hopper 3 . If you are happy with it then keep it. Guarantee it is better than your 722 . Wait 2 years by than the new hopper should be available. And you will get a 3 for free.

Reactions: comfortably_numb
I was very happy with my HWS till the hard drive died . I finally bought a hopper 3 . If you are happy with it then keep it. Guarantee it is better than your 722 . Wait 2 years by than the new hopper should be available. And you will get a 3 for free.
Sounds like a plan man!

Reactions: pattykay
Yes, the wiring had to be updated. Well, here is my report on the installation. BTW, moving the 622 to the home theater room for the part today would have worked and was a good idea. However, I am happy with the installation with the one caveat that I probably did not get the Hopper 3. It was a young fellow (I'll be 70 in a couple months so anyone is a "young" fellow to me) and he worked for hours to get it right. He showed up at 1:30 and did not finish until 5:45. The old wiring was the big problem. The run was too long to give a good signal strength to the Hopper which was placed in the home theater room. The run was much shorter for the Joey which was placed in the bedroom so he finally rewired that section through the attic from the dish itself and moved the Hopper to the bedroom and the Joey to the home theater. That provide the strength he needed finally. He said the Joey works off the strength of the Hopper so the longer run would now not be a factor and the new wiring would enhance the performance of the Hopper. He went through two Hoppers. Yes, the Joey is a 3 and I thought the Hopper was too, he indicated it would be but it does not have a red bar going the length of the bottom. I just took a look at the Amazon photo of the newest Hopper and it has the red bar, mine does not so I will call them this morning.

I played with the thing all night and I like it better than the 722. Now I have to find out what model Hopper I have. It does not say on the front of the device.
It says on the back, Hopper, Hopper w/Sling or Hopper 3. I'm sure you have a Hopper w/Sling. Hoppers, or Hopper 1 or Hopper 2K as it used to be called is only going to Bad Credit and pay as you go accounts these days. For 2 TV's the sling is fine. No, it's not as fast as a 3, but the Joey 3 you put in the important place is.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)