Neighbor may want me to move BUD

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

iammike

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 29, 2003
Roanoke,VA
Hey guys,

There's a vacant lot next door to me. The guy that owned it moved his old house off of the lot about 10 years ago, and is now thinking about building a new one there. I just bought my place about a year ago, and never even met the guy until about 3 months ago. He was making an "attempt" to be nice, but came off as being pretty arrogant to me. He was upset about my dish and also about the storage building I put up. He said he really wished I'd have talked with him before putting the building and dish where I did (along my property line shared with him) and couldn't live with them being there. He said I was devaluing his property and blocking his view of the neighborhood lake (his main view from his proposed house is across my property) I found his language kind of threatening but never heard back from him until today. Actually, I didn't hear from him, but I found survey stakes along the property line when I got home tonight.

My storage building is well within code about 15 feet from the line and was permitted so he can go stick it as far as it goes. The problem is my BUD. I thought I had placed it about 5 feet within the lot line. There's a survey stake 1 foot from the base of the mast tonight. The mast is on my side of the line, but the dish is a 10 footer and overhangs his lot. I'd say it's safe to say he's going to ask me to move it if it's within his legal rights. I know local laws vary, but what do you guys think? Does he have a right to ask me to move it?

Mike

I am very interested to hear thoughts on this question. I am about to put up a BUD and don't have much room between my house and the neighbor's property line -- 8 feet. I don't want the LNB to hang over the property line. I hope I have enough room. My local borough does not have any setback rules for antenna but it does for decks and sheds it is 10 feet.

IMO get the shovel out. You gonna have to move it, especially if he insists.

HOWEVER...I'd use the occasion to find an even BIGGER dish, and make dang sure all of it was on my property, making sure that you follow all laws and covenants.

I'd also put about 8-10 1m dishes, each on a separate pole, right inside of the property line. Again, as long as its allowed. :D

Just because.

I'd also build my shed bigger, and, laws permitting, paint it PINK. :cool:

OH! I almost forgot....how about a 6 foot privacy fence? That would be nice....just on his side, you know.... :angel:

Last edited:
Stogie,

I like the way you think! I was thinking about leaving the mast there, and putting my pizza dishes on it. They might go right up to the line without crossing. I don't know about the pink shed, but I do know where I could get a nice flock of pink flamingos. A nice grouping surrounding the shed and dish area would do the trick nicely! :D

When you end up having to move your bud, make sure you place it in a more obstructive view for him. When he asks about it say you didn't want to ruin your view of the lake.

HOWEVER...I'd use the occasion to find an even BIGGER dish, and make dang sure all of it was on my property, making sure that you follow all laws and covenants.

I'd also put about 8-10 1m dishes, each on a separate pole, right inside of the property line. Again, as long as its allowed. :D

Just because.

OH! I almost forgot....how about a 6 foot privacy fence? That would be nice....just on his side, you know.... :angel:

I like!!! :)

If there is a tree on your property but hangs over the property line, the neighbor can trim what's on his side as he pleases. There goes the lnb.:eek:

Move it QUICK! He MIGHT be in his rights to cut off the part overhanging his lot, with the assumption his previous comment gave you "notice." I'd leave the post, just put up a new one with the dish. REALLY sounds like a GREAT time to buy a larger dish! ;)

Ah- I see someone else has out-typed me!

I would probably move the dish just to be safe, but did he do the survey or a professional, anyone can put stakes in the ground and say "Thats the line!"

I would probably move the dish just to be safe, but did he do the survey or a professional, anyone can put stakes in the ground and say "Thats the line!"

I can't say with certainty that he had it done professionally, but I'm thinking he did. They used the two pins that I knew of, and found a third I didn't know about, when I sight down the stake line they appear to be accurate. The previous owner had put some railroad ties down the side of the lot, which I thought were in a straight line, but eyeballing the stake line I can tell now are not. That was what led to part of my confusion about the line originally.

One interesting thing is the house has a sprinkler system, and three or four heads are well across the line. One head I knew was over is actually around 10 feet over if these stakes are accurate. One thing that pisses me off is the guy's mowers cut down all the flags from the survey I had done last year when I moved in. That one didn't use nearly as many stakes though, but I'd sure like to have those flags back to see how they compare to the new stakes.

it depends on each city/county but if the neighbor has an issue with where the dish is and wants a land survey done its HIS responsibility. We had the same thing happen here at the townhouse complex. The neighbor down the road said there was a hedge on her property and we knew where the line was. We told her she has to speak to the county about getting a survey done.
She refused but since she was disputing where the line was it was her responsibility to have the survey done

but if its real close I'd move it just to CYA ;)

paint scheme:

foot-wide black 'n yellow diagonal stripes

Both for the shed, and for any BUDs you may put up!

I subscribe to the Stogie-school of decorating!

it depends on each city/county but if the neighbor has an issue with where the dish is and wants a land survey done its HIS responsibility. We had the same thing happen here at the townhouse complex. The neighbor down the road said there was a hedge on her property and we knew where the line was. We told her she has to speak to the county about getting a survey done.
She refused but since she was disputing where the line was it was her responsibility to have the survey done

but if its real close I'd move it just to CYA ;)

Hey Ice, I hear ya. I think this guy probably already had it done professionally but I'm not 100% certain. There were 2 cars over there when I came home yesterday. There was a big thunderstorm going on so I didn't go over. I also didn't really want to deal with the guy.

I'm going to eyeball it again tonight and then decide if I should wait for him to formally complain or just move it now.

Hey Ice, I hear ya. I think this guy probably already had it done professionally but I'm not 100% certain. There were 2 cars over there when I came home yesterday. There was a big thunderstorm going on so I didn't go over. I also didn't really want to deal with the guy.

I'm going to eyeball it again tonight and then decide if I should wait for him to formally complain or just move it now.

Best,IMO, is not to talk to him if you even THINK there might be a confrontation. Really though, you want to CYA and move it anyway, you don't want anything on or over property that you don't own. I MIGHT just tell him you are moving the dish ASAP, and you are sorry for putting it on his property. I know I am extremely protective of MY property lines, but I'd ask someone to move their stuff before I went all ig-nent on them.

I WOULD, however, leave the old pole, instead of digging it up, if at all possible.

And if he continued being a penis about it, I'd drive on with our other ideas in the thread. Every time I hear a complaint, his view would get more limited. :D

Just because.

When you end up having to move your bud, make sure you place it in a more obstructive view for him. When he asks about it say you didn't want to ruin your view of the lake.
:haha
I LOVE THE RESPONSES ABOVE (sorry I had to shout, guys):clap:bow

This is how he'll feel after you relocate your new, old and bigger dishes!!:facepalm

Fig trees grow fast, provide food for people and animals, and can obstruct a view quite effectively. :p

Fig trees grow fast, provide food for people and animals, and can obstruct a view quite effectively. :p

Hmmm, fig trees. I like it. :)

Any of you guys remember the old Mail Pouch tobacco barns. I think they'd paint your barn for free it they could put their advertisement on it. My storage building is 12x28 and 8ft tall. I wonder how he'd like waking up every morning to a 28x8 sign encouraging him to chew Mail Pouch. :D

Oh, I like that one!

Forgot to add - fig trees are almost pest and disease free.

Mike,

Best way to get along with the neighbors is to keep the line of communication open. Invite him over look over possible locations for the dish that can still see the sat arc and be less intrusive to him. Even if he is overbearing on this try to nice. If not the dish it will be something else later if you don't get along. If you can't move the dish can you re point it so it doesn't hang over the line and wait for this to blow over? As for the sprinkler I'd leave it go. Sounds like he is watering your lawn at his expense. Enjoy!

Jim

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)