Neighbors DTV dish preventing me from installing a fence

Status
Please reply by conversation.

archaix

Original poster
Jun 15, 2007
So I know this isn't usually the type of thing that you guys field in this forum, but I thought maybe somebody might have experienced something similar so here goes:

I live on a corner lot and my back yard is adjacent to the side of my neighbors house. There is a divider between our two property lines. So at some point in the last two months my newly moved in neighbor had a DirecTV dish installed. Now the pole is on their side of the divder, however the dish is oval shaped and hangs over the property line. We're looking at putting a fence up this summer and it's looking like the dish will need to be moved. I haven't approached my neighbor or contacted DirecTV about it yet. Even if they move the dish back a little the fence will still interfere with the line of sight to the satellites. I'm thinking they'll either need to raise it up above the fence level (which the current pole doesn't have the height for) or do a roof install. What do you guys think would be the best course of action? Contact DirecTV, or ask my neighbor about it first? I've never met this neighbor, as I mentioned they just moved in a few months back. I'd hate for my first contact with them to be about this, but it is what it is.

I guess I sort of feel like I shouldn't have to confront my neighbor because the local DirecTV installer decided to install equipment over my property.

Last edited:
sounds like a zoning question. it shouldnt overhang onto your property, and need to be moved anyway.
when its moved maked sure its installed so the future fence doesnt interfere.

talk to the neighbor first, let him know the install was flawed, have him contact directv to have it fixed

I would talk to the neighbor first, too. Like mdram mentioned, it's likely a zoning issue, but talking to the neighbor first is the best option. I'll bet your town zoning says the pole can't be taller than the nearest property line, at the least. It sounds like they will need to move it. Being a good neighbor, maybe you can get the fence installer to redo the pole for them and they can cover the Directv visit. The fence guy may well not charge much if anything extra for that one dig.

Also,

It is not a big item to raise the dish. Drill the existing pole. Drill a new pole to match. Bolt together. Raise the dish the minimum needed. A few feet won't be noticed. Repoint the dish after all is done and the rig is mechanically stable..................Dishes are usually not put on fences or property lines for just this reason.

Joe

The neighbor is gonna feel bad and be pissed all at the same time probably, do u know if the house is a rental, or why it may hav been pole mounted to begin with?

Sent from my PG06100 using Tapatalk 2

Why not work with your neighbor and possibly offer to split the cost of having them raise their dish, and/or move it to a new location? It would get you and your neighbor off on the right foot.

From what I've heard, I believe the new tenant is related to the older lady who used to live there. I think the owner has been ill and is staying with relatives and a younger relative is basically house sitting. I guess the dish was pole mounted so it could be taken down easily if they wanted to sell the house in the near future and thought keeping the roof clear would look better maybe? I see a lot of pole mounts in our neighborhood, so it might just be something the local installer prefers.

You don't want anything from a neighbor staying over the boundary line unless you come up with a written agreement. In many instances after awhile it becomes their right to use that part of your property. I would want to help a neighbor knowing how much I want Satellite over cable, so talking to them and see if there is a way everyone is happy is certainly the right thing to do.

Obviously your going to need to talk to your neighbor about having access to their property when you install the fence. That's the time you should bring up the Directv Dish.

I would simply buy another pole and move the setup back to it clears the fence properly. You should be able to take a tv out there and line it up pretty easily.

As far as getting out a technician, if you can't move the dish your self, then just pay out of your pocket to have it moved your self. This way there is no hard feelings.

Worse case scenario if the neighbor wants to be a problem, i would go install your fence and loosen up the dish and move the reflector so it clears your fence, and let the neighbor deal with it then.

If its only a few inches, you could just move your entire fence back a few inches so it would clear.

Most pole mounts aren't that tall, how tall of a fence are you putting in ?

That said, if its on the property line, it should have never been there in the first place.

Something to remember is that satellite dishes usually have an offset feed horn so the aiming point for the incoming signal is actually 20 degrees or so above where the dish appears to be aimed. My dish is also pole mounted and if you looked at it you would think it is aimed at the side of my neighbors house but it is actually "looking" above the roof.

Right, I highly doubt the dish will clear your fence. You might have to move the pole 1' to 2' at most. Unless your fence is going to be 10' or taller...

How "easily" the pole/dish can be moved all depends on the line of sight. If there is a narrow window like I have ( to get over my fence and the neighbors houses and under the trees ) than it is very possible that is was put there because it was the only place it could be put. Being a "good neighbor" and talking to them about the possible issues is your best bet . What style fence and the material it is made out of will also have some bearing on whether it will interfere with the Sat signal.
I found out that I actually own about 6 inches beyond the fence on 2 sides and almost a foot on the third side, so even though my dish is over the fence by a couple inches, it is not over the property line. You will find that in many urban/suburban areas fences installers often air on the side of caution when they install a fence because they do not want to be back doing it again ( for free) because they put it on the wrong side of the line.

As I mentioned earlier, in many communities, the zoning regs say a dish can't be any higher than the nearest property line. That prevents it from falling into the neighbors yard.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)