Neither of my 722's will retain an IP

bubsdaddy

Original poster
Jan 3, 2007
I have 2 VIP722s. I purchased a Netgear xe102 homplug adapter and installed it to my router. Both of the 722's see it and show that they are online. After less than a minute they both lose their IP's and show they aren't connected. I can refresh the receivers and they get an IP again but they lose it. I tried a wireless game adapter with the exact same results. It will connect, show it is online, and then lose it connection when I try to go to any IP related content. I have run the network test and it shows 5 good connections with 1 poor connection. Any ideas?

When a network device gets an IP address, it is granted it for a specified lease time. The device doesn't talk to the DHCP server again until the lease is half way over and it wants to renegotiate the lease. My router defaults to a 3-day lease.

It sounds to me like your 722s are losing the ethernet connection to the router (more likely its "layer 2" switch between the devices and the router). Two things regarding homeplug come to mind. First, some surge protectors do not allow all of the RF signal to get past them to the powerline, and second, (and I'm grasping here), if the 722 and router are on different 110v sides of the of the 220v house circuit that might be a problem.

Is it possible to temporarily connect a 722 to the router with a patchcord to see if the problem still exists?

Hmmm..is it a temporary problem? My Netgear xe102 homeplug bridge is plugged straight into an outlet. I'll see if I can hook straight to the router if I can find a long enough ethernet cable.

I had this problem 2 days ago which may mean it is unrelated to the current outage that many are reporting.

Bumping this thread as I tried the wireless game router again and I connect and show online but I lose the connection within one minute.

I had my install today and when I go to check my connection on the 722 it says Broadband FAILED. This stinks!!! I can't connect a phone line!

Broadband

I had my install today and when I go to check my connection on the 722 it says Broadband FAILED. This stinks!!! I can't connect a phone line!

The ethernet connection failed today on my 722, it worked fine 9 hrs ago. I called DiSH and they stated in might be a new software problem they are working on. I can ping my receiver without any problems.

I am having the same issue. My internet connection has worked fine for months, now all of a sudden I get NO CONNECTION. Got to be some glitch in the receiver software or the servers it connects to over the internet.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)