Please reply by conversation.

hancox

Pub Member / UConnaholic
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Nov 23, 2003
Monroe, CT
Hmmmm - great if true

I'm taking this with a gigantic grain of salt. A newbie poster throwing out a rumor like that is usually bad news. Great if true, though...

No chance. The poster makes it seem like they will be adding a full regional sports channel in hd, that is not going to happen until mid 2007 at the earliest. Best you can expect is some games on channel 95, but I wouldn't be on that either.

It's not as impossible as you make it sound, given the SpaceWay birds. Very fishy because:

1) We'd hear this from a better source
2) Makes more sense that they would add an RSN that they already have a carraige agreement with for HD (YES, SNY, some of the independent FSN's)

man, i would pay extra for this channel. i was told by some nesn officials before the baseball season started, that don't rule it out for this season. maybe it's got a chance.

You may see it the same time they put all the other RSNs, that are in HD, on line. Maybe we will get lucky and see them when the new D* satellites are all up and running next year.

I could see it happening if it is in mpeg4. Then it could be spotbeamed on one of the Spaceway sats. After all, it is regional, so it makes sense that it would be spotbeamed.

Agreed. I don't see NESN coming as an MPEG2 national channel, unless it's the occasional MLB EI feed that also gets sent to the Red Sox territory.

What still lights up the bogus light for me is that you would figure YES or SNY would come first, because there are already carraige agreements in place.

hancox said:
Agreed. I don't see NESN coming as an MPEG2 national channel, unless it's the occasional MLB EI feed that also gets sent to the Red Sox territory.

What still lights up the bogus light for me is that you would figure YES or SNY would come first, because there are already carraige agreements in place.

True enough. Check post #34 from your original link. It seems to verify the information, maybe.....

raoul5788 said:
I could see it happening if it is in mpeg4. Then it could be spotbeamed on one of the Spaceway sats. After all, it is regional, so it makes sense that it would be spotbeamed.

It would have to be a national feed, as the RSNs are a Premium Sports package available for purchase by all viewers.

Also I think the sports packages (Center Ice, MLB, NBA, etc.) get their feeds from the local RSN feeds.

lou_do said:
It would have to be a national feed, as the RSNs are a Premium Sports package available for purchase by all viewers.

Also I think the sports packages (Center Ice, MLB, NBA, etc.) get their feeds from the local RSN feeds.

Not necessarily. The sd feed is national, but the hd feed doesn't have to be.

raoul5788 said:
Not necessarily. The sd feed is national, but the hd feed doesn't have to be.

Currently, that is correct, but with the promised HD Nationals that may change. Sure hope so. I subscribe to Center Ice and those hockey games in HD are a big improvement over the SD broadcasts.

lou_do said:
Currently, that is correct, but with the promised HD Nationals that may change. Sure hope so. I subscribe to Center Ice and those hockey games in HD are a big improvement over the SD broadcasts.

You couldn't be more right about that! Hockey in sd is difficult to watch. In hd, it's great.

Is there anymore news regarding this? This is the one channel I want , they can keep all the others.

Probably wishfull thinking. I may be mistaken, but I recall reading somewhere that NESN is partially owned by Comcast. I know Comcast has Sox games in hd on INHD network. the feed coming from NESN. The cable guys are certainly not anxious to strike a deal with satellite providers. We can just wait and see.

putterboy said:
Probably wishfull thinking. I may be mistaken, but I recall reading somewhere that NESN is partially owned by Comcast. I know Comcast has Sox games in hd on INHD network. the feed coming from NESN. The cable guys are certainly not anxious to strike a deal with satellite providers. We can just wait and see.
NESN is not partially owned by Comcast. NESN is owned by the New York Times, the Boston Red Sox and the Boston Bruins.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts