Installer coming out again

Status
Please reply by conversation.

dblake15

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Dec 7, 2005
Just need some advice on what the levels should be for the dish and if they should put on the 2 legs on my AT-9 dish.

Well currently here are my levels
H20
Sat 101 Transponder 1-2 = 65, 66
Sat 119 Transponder 26-27= 44, 58
Sat 110 Transponder 8,10,12= 50,51,51

H10
Sat 101 Transponder 1-2=85,83
Sat 119 Transponder 26-27= 53,76
Sat 110 Transponder 8,10,12= 60,65,65

Samsung Tivo DVR
101= 87,84
119= 57,79
110= 57,65,70

Hughes basic receiver
101= 90,86

Any ideas on why it is so low?? I have had 2 installer come out and check it, I am wondering if they are trying to lock on to the KU band which is wider instead of the Ka band which is narrower.

Any thoughts on this and what kind of signals have you seen since the new AT-9 has been put up. Also this all started because I was getting pixelation on some SD channels and some HD channels. I have an installer coming out tomorrow, just need to know what to look for. I am a novice.

Thanks in advance.

The 101, 110 and 119 should be in the 90 range or as close to it as possible on your standard receivers. They along with the 99 and 103 tend to read lower on the H20.

yeah that is cool, I knew that it had to be at aleast 70. But this is killing me. I mean it is really low and not sure the contract installers know what they are doing. But then again I was one of the first in my area to get the at-9 so maybe I should chaulk it up to no experience by the installer.

I am just wondering if I should have them put the 2 legs that hold it in place on. Is it worth doing, I mean it looks ok up there now and not moving too much, but who knows.

IMO, you need a repeak, using a receiver other than the H20 for measurment, you should be in the 90s on all 3 sats (with maybe 2 or 3 xponders at high 80s), and yes, have them put the legs on, whether they say it needs it or not.

EDIT: Just realized you only posted some of your xponder readings, if you want, post all the xponder readings, perhaps a repeak is not needed if the rest are mid 90s or so.

Last edited:
You know it is funny, but the CSR said that those are the only transponders that are used. I actually heard that before also, is that true??

dblake15 said:
You know it is funny, but the CSR said that those are the only transponders that are used. I actually heard that before also, is that true??

For HD programming or for ALL D* programming? Please clarify.

Sorry about that. But for all of the transponders that I have listed. 110 and 119 are HD only and 101 is for all SD except the premiums such as HBO, Starz, etc.

Well, are you having dropouts or excessive rain fade issues? If not, I guess don't fix what isn't broken.

Keep in mind, D* is always moving mappings, so it is hard to say.

All I know, with the exception of the spotbeams that are not for your area, on a receiver (except the H20), the signals should be in the 90's, below I posted mine, yours should look similar (again with the exception of spotbeams), data taken from a D10-100.

Transponder strength oval/triple lnb 101:
1: 92-93%
2: 92-92
3: 89-90
4: Out
5: 88-90
6: 94-94
7: 91-92
8: 94-95
9: 91-92
10: 92-93
11: 92-100
12: 100-100
13: 93-94
14: 94-95
15: 89-92
16: 93-94
17: 91-92
18: Out
19: 93-94
20: 98-100
21: 92-100
22: 94-94
23: 91-92
24: 95-95
25: 92-93
26: 98-100
27: 93-94
28: 100-100
29: 90-91
30: 93-94
31: 93-94
32: 94-95
------------------
Total: 2791 - 2834
Avg: 93 - 94

Transponder strength oval/triple lnb 119:
22: 95-95
23: 95-95
24: 94-95
26: 95-96
27: 95-96
28: 95-95
30: 95-95
32: 98-98

Transponder strength oval/triple lnb 110:
8: 93-94
10: 88-88
12: 94-94

Yeah I am getting rain fade and pixelation. I just want to make sure the job is done right, and I am going to have them put on the two legs also, maybe this will keep it from blowing around. Now my other question is, can the wind knock it out of alignment??

Does anyone else have the stability arms on their AT-9?? Does it really help?? Or should I jsut have them peak the Ka band and then leave it the way it is?? I am having them bring out the legs though.

dblake15 said:
Does anyone else have the stability arms on their AT-9?? Does it really help?? Or should I jsut have them peak the Ka band and then leave it the way it is?? I am having them bring out the legs though.

I do not have the AT9, but have read posts on here that suggested the stability greatly improved with the arms, and even one post that had it installed without the arms, and had trouble with signal, subsequently, he put the arms on, and no more issues, and if you are in an area where there are high winds, you'll want them, fact is, if they were not needed, they would not have included them with the dish, by design, they are meant to be on.

Last edited:
I am going to have them retune and then put these legs on. Thank you for all of your help. I am crossign my fingers is goes ok.

Thanks again.

dblake15 said:
I am going to have them retune and then put these legs on. Thank you for all of your help. I am crossign my fingers is goes ok.

Thanks again.

You're welcome, I too am hoping it works out, please let us know in this thread how it went.

OH, and do NOT sign the post service invoice UNTIL you are 100% everything is the way you want it, check the signals on ALL the STBs, check for the presence of the arms, if all is well, then sign it, DO NOT sign it otherwise.

Last edited:
dblake15 said:
Yeah I am getting rain fade and pixelation. I just want to make sure the job is done right, and I am going to have them put on the two legs also, maybe this will keep it from blowing around. Now my other question is, can the wind knock it out of alignment??

If it's mounted correctly, it should be able to take a decent amount of wind without moving.

Update

Ok the installer just left. Let me tell you that I live in the Chicago area and APEX was the installer. This is the 2nd time that I have worked with them and let me tell you they are excellent. Their attention to detail and just putting everything the way it should be is great.

Well low and behold the installer that put the dish up first did not do it correctly so he remounted, put 3 braces on it to make it very secure and I am now in the high 80's with the H20. I was in the low 60's high 50's on some of the transponders before. I just cannot say enough about them. Class act all the way.

So I am all good to go and really happy with everything.

Everyone, thanks again for all of your input and suggestions. Have a great fourth :hatsoff:

My AT9 got blown around a bit last night in NYC. I have lost some of the RSN's and FX and a couple of other channels so it is just a bit off. This is the second tile this has happened since they installed it in Feb this year. I called this morning and I was told the next avaivalable day was Wednesday. I guess I will be on the roof tomorrow.

The guy was telling me that most installers that come out for movers or relocation do a bad job. His words not mine. He said make sure with the AT-9 no matter where you are to put the 2 stablizing arms and if they can put 3. Also make sure they are secure on a 2x4 and not just on the end of the roof. he was very unhappy with the install job that was done on mine.

dblake15 said:
Ok the installer just left. Let me tell you that I live in the Chicago area and APEX was the installer. This is the 2nd time that I have worked with them and let me tell you they are excellent. Their attention to detail and just putting everything the way it should be is great.

Well low and behold the installer that put the dish up first did not do it correctly so he remounted, put 3 braces on it to make it very secure and I am now in the high 80's with the H20. I was in the low 60's high 50's on some of the transponders before. I just cannot say enough about them. Class act all the way.

So I am all good to go and really happy with everything.

Everyone, thanks again for all of your input and suggestions. Have a great fourth :hatsoff:

Excellent, thanks for the update, enjoy your holiday and D*.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)